What do you use for Hot Spot

OP
M

mariomp

Reaction score
The part of your post that I've highlighted in bold has me a bit confused. I'm also on unlimited data and I chose to pay the additional 30 bucks for the Verizon hotspot because I'm using it all the time (lots of data) and don't want to risk any trouble. I'm truly unlimited in this fashion so I'm confused about that part where you say "reduced data plan".

I called VZ in June and again in Nov. and both times I was told that phone data is(was) unlimited, but that once you choose the $30 hot spot option, ALL of your data (yes, including what used to be unlimited) was now reduced to the 2Gb (may have been 4Gb).
So, you end up paying $30/mo for the privilege of the hotspot, but both hotspot and regular data (email/surf/downloads) we now the subject of the data limit, with additional charges once limits were exceeded.

Chubbydog

Reaction score
No other app needed. Go to your widget tab, select a widget (whatever size you'd like), drag to your screen. When you let go to place it on your screen, the app opens up for you to assign a function and change its look. Press the "X" on the icon and select Wi-Fi AP (Hotspot) toggle.

To turn it off, you have to go to the Portable Wifi hotspot in Settings and uncheck. For whatever reason, I can't get mine to turn off by pressing the widget again. Not a big deal though. And for what it's worth, I have no idea if VZW can track this...

Thank you! I got it working, but when I go to connect from another device, it's calling for a password to unlock the wifi. Where do I go to set that up at?

soulshot96

Reaction score
You guys need to stop spreading the elixr thing around pm it to these people. If we keep making big threads its likely to get patched and then where will we all be? And I don't want to root my nexus. Esp. Not for wifi tether.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Reaction score
You guys need to stop spreading the elixr thing around pm it to these people. If we keep making big threads its likely to get patched and then where will we all be? And I don't want to root my nexus. Esp. Not for wifi tether.

There, happy now?? smh....

soulshot96

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't mean to come across as a hard ass, but I don't think you want it patched any more than I do. And as long as we don't spread it around to much there's a good chance Verizon won't patch it.

Reaction score
It's all good, I'm new to DF so I'm not trying to burn any bridges, just helpin' another member out. Sooner or later VZW will fix it, but just as quick as they do, someone will dig up a loophole to exploit. I've found that this community (again, noob here to DF) is far smarter than VZW... If all else fails, I'll take the time to learn how to root and then do it myself. Or I could just use Wug's toolkit...

Fonzz

Reaction score
I called VZ in June and again in Nov. and both times I was told that phone data is(was) unlimited, but that once you choose the $30 hot spot option, ALL of your data (yes, including what used to be unlimited) was now reduced to the 2Gb (may have been 4Gb).
So, you end up paying $30/mo for the privilege of the hotspot, but both hotspot and regular data (email/surf/downloads) we now the subject of the data limit, with additional charges once limits were exceeded.

Wow, just wow. I'd suggest calling again. When I signed up for hotspot, I made sure; the guy said everything was unlimited, period. I've been using it this way heavily for the past couple months and I'm definitely not getting any extra charges for data usage and I'm talking about hundreds of gigs each month. I've had unlimited for over two years, maybe you got it just before they discontinued it? Are you not "grandfathered" in?

Felix 222

Reaction score
Pete unlocked the native hotspot in the latest version of BB. just a heads up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

thehogsters

Reaction score
New here also and love the site. Could some one pm me some help with this elixer hotspot?
Thanks

OP
M

mariomp

Reaction score
Wow, just wow. I'd suggest calling again. When I signed up for hotspot, I made sure; the guy said everything was unlimited, period. I've been using it this way heavily for the past couple months and I'm definitely not getting any extra charges for data usage and I'm talking about hundreds of gigs each month. I've had unlimited for over two years, maybe you got it just before they discontinued it? Are you not "grandfathered" in?

Yeap, been with them for years, definetely GF'ed.

Fonzz

Reaction score
Yeap, been with them for years, definetely GF'ed.

Well then it sounds like you got the wrong information from that customer service rep, definitely wouldn't be the first time from what I've read here. I'll reiterate, you really ought to call again...

flameboy

Reaction score
Tethering is baked it

There is no need to use any 3rd party apps to tether.

Just root and install a custom ROM with a recent kernel. USB, Wireless, and Bluetooth tethering are all built into ICS.
If you have reservations about rooting and custom ROMs, please try to get over them. The phone runs much better with ICS 4.0.3 and a custom kernel, theres no reason not to do it.
You can always restore to stock if you need to.

terigox

Reaction score
I can validate that if you pay the $20 a month for the Verizon tether it utilizes your unlimited plan

I have a grandfathered unlimited plan and when I got the nexus I asked the guy at Verizon about tethering. I paid the $20 and sure enough, after my 13gb of traffic I saw no fees and all the data was bucketed under my unlimited data. Not sure if it's a glitch or what.

Still its $20 a month though :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums