What do you miss from Windows Mobile?

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Hey 640k,

A page or so back, you mentioned Android COMING with quickoffice. Just curious as to what you meant. I don't seem to find anything stock with mine that opens or edits docs, ect. and have DocsToGo. What is quickoffice, I didn't see it in the MP?

I do miss being able to reassign buttons now that someone brings that one up. I guess with multiple screens you're not too far off the same thing, but it was nice in a meeting bringing something up just that bit quicker.

techguru

Reaction score
Hey 640k,

A page or so back, you mentioned Android COMING with quickoffice. Just curious as to what you meant. I don't seem to find anything stock with mine that opens or edits docs, ect. and have DocsToGo. What is quickoffice, I didn't see it in the MP?

I do miss being able to reassign buttons now that someone brings that one up. I guess with multiple screens you're not too far off the same thing, but it was nice in a meeting bringing something up just that bit quicker.

It is a built in doc handler. View only, but it will read doc, docx, xls, xlsx, pdf, and I think PPT and PPTX. If you go into your app settings and remove the default doc handling from docs to go, then click on any of these doc types either on an email attachment or a file manager like Astra, you will get a window asking if you want to use QuickOffice or Docs2Go. (and you can select one as default). Of course, since you already have Docs2Go, not really any point to it....

Alan

techguru

Reaction score
A battery that actually last w/ bt, wifi, and gps all turned on. No actually my wifi tether, but seen its available w/ droid via a root so will be doin that here shortly.

You miss battery life in windows mobile?!?! What phone did you come from? The Droid beats every WinMo phone I have ever used by several hours, including my i760 with the extended battery, which was my previous winner (also had i700, XV6800, XV6900, Q9M, Touch Pro for comparison).

Alan

John.Edwards

Reaction score
@techguru, I used to get three days on a charge on my XV6800 - I am lucky to get a more than 1 day on the droid with similar usage. Not sure what you were running, I was running stock 6.1.

techguru

Reaction score
@techguru, I used to get three days on a charge on my XV6800 - I am lucky to get a more than 1 day on the droid with similar usage. Not sure what you were running, I was running stock 6.1.

I mis-spoke. I had an XV6700 and XV6900. Never had the XV6800. I have never heard anyone say they got more than a day of regular PDA usage out of the 6800 though, so I am amazed you got 3 days, but usage patterns vary, so I do believe you. If I just left any of my devices in standby and maybe had a couple of short calls and a few SMS messages, I could maybe get 36 hours out of a charge. Any real use, and certainly using as much as I wind up using my Droid, and I would go through 2 or 3 batteries in a day.

Droid, I get a solid day with a lot of use, although I do plug it in if doing navigation in the car or any other app that leaves the screen on for a long time.

Alan

Alan

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ill just comment on #3... make yourself a folder and put all you applications inthere. Have as many folders as you want.

To add to your list of things I missed from wm is MyMobiler

I have to say MyMobiler is becoming the number 1 (and possibly the only) thing I miss from my WM phones... hope someone does this soon.

Found this, but it's still young, then again so is the OS.

wtherrell

Reaction score
What I will miss about Winmo

1. Listpro

2. Agenda One /also Pocket Informant

3. Easy, seamless syncing of all Outlook files with my PC, including tasks and notes.

4. SPB Mobile shell with Mskip ProPlus Ultimate Elegance mod. (Gives a rotating carrousel of 9 home screens, each having within it 7 more screens. Beautiful set of icons. Each screen customizeable with whatever widgets, shortcuts, backgrounds you want. ) When I demoed it to the Verizon Sales Rep I was talking to about the DX, he nearly dropped his teeth. Said, "Man, I have never seen a WinMo phone do like that!" I asked him if Droid could do something similar. He said he thought there were apps for that. Maybe--we'll see.
I'm going away from WinMo to Droid for 3 main reasons.
1. Droid X screen is actually readable outdoors in broad daylight.
2. Office Mobile Excel constantly failed on reading files I had just created a day or two before.
3. Android is the WAVE of the FUTURE!! (are you listening, Steve Jobs?)dancedroid

TomWolfeUSN

Reaction score
What do I miss most from windows mobile?

Let me think about it.

Nothing. I had two Windows Mobile phones and I despised each one. The first broke so I took it back to Verizon and they gave me a different one. I hated it so much, I traded in for a blackberry and I was happy for a while.