What do You Guys Think About a Nexus Smart Watch?

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
google-nexus-smartwatch.jpggoogle-nexus-smartwatch.jpg

There is talk that Google is going to introduce a new smart watch with Nexus, called "Gem". This will be launched at the end of October with Android Kitkat version 4.4. Will you be interested in purchasing this watch over Samsung's Smart Gear watch, or is it another gimmick you will pass on?

Source

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Pfft. Whatever. I am NOT interested at all.

keep cool I think they believe me keep cool I think they believe me keep cool I think they believe me keep cool I think they believe me keep cool I think they believe me keep cool I think they believe me

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Only if it comes with a built in GPS.
Cause then i could justify it for my running.

Tapp'd from one of my Nexus Devices

mrmark27

Reaction score
It would depend on the price. If it's in the $100 range, maybe i'd pick one up around the holidays. If it's near the $300 that samsung wants, thanks but no thanks. I would also haveto see what features they through into it.

Asgard

Reaction score
Every time I see something about this, I say the same. Google showed off a lot the Pebble watch on this years I/O, if they are going to do something like this, it might be with pebble
Which BTW I have one, and I like it, but I can see why a lot of people don't like them

i2ollingstone

Reaction score
I want a smartwatch. I want something with an accelerometer in it and more health related sensors. Something like a jawbone up but better. I want to be able to sleep comfortably with it on and have a silent vibrating alarm that won't wake up whoever I'm in bed with.

The bands will be more 3 dimensional than in the render though as I'm pretty positive these will utilize those wire-shaped batteries LG Chem has cooked up.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I personally don't see any use for it and would never consider one by any manufacturer. Now if someone were to give me one then I'd reconsider:p

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I find it funny that everyone is ccoming out with 'smart' watches right after everyone stopped wearing a watch. I'm old, I wear a watch, but no one I know thatis younger does anymore. The exception of course is runners so these have to do what a runner needs or will fail hard.

Incredibilly

Reaction score
I find it funny that everyone is ccoming out with 'smart' watches right after everyone stopped wearing a watch. I'm old, I wear a watch, but no one I know thatis younger does anymore. The exception of course is runners so these have to do what a runner needs or will fail hard.

Right. These seem little more than remote app access UIs. And not very many apps, beyond fitness, at that.
What everyday utility does this really give me? I can get a watch for $20...and if I break it, I won't sweat it.
Plus, I can sweat in it. What's the water (read: sweat) resistance on this?

How long will the charge last, and how will its connection to my phone affect the phone's charge? If it reduces a mostly all day charge to something less, it will only be used for certain functions...so we're back to mostly fitness type use...

I'd still get one at the right price point (~$100), since I do exist in that fitness niche pretty frequently.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
*Yawn*
But I bet it won't be $300...

And why does Sony get zero recognition for being first. AND at the $80 Pricepoint. I don't know what Samsung was thinking. If you are in the Verizon store and there is a Sony (Generation 2 by the way) watch for $80 next to a Samsung one that doesn't even work with all Samsung gear yet for $300.... what are you going to buy?
(Me? Neither...)

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Just what the people asked for.....another TOY!
Why would I need another smart anything to complement an already-carried smartphone?
My wife and I are avid extreme hikers, and this watch is nothing more than a costly toy to excite the gadget buying public, so why not gold plate it like the HTC-ONE and offer it to Trump and create a 'rich niche' market for the fabulously stupid to show off?

For us, it really has zero uses, and of zero value.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Only if it can kill zombies, but I don't think it has that capability.

Big Ry

Reaction score
I think it'd be cool to have a smartwatch, but It'd really need to have some advanced functionality to be worth it. Also, I'd be reluctant to buy wearable tech if it's not durable, scratch/impact/water resistant. But ultimately for me, it definitely needs to look good. I'll never buy one if it makes me look like I just stepped off the set of star trek.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it'd be cool to have a smartwatch, but It'd really need to have some advanced functionality to be worth it. Also, I'd be reluctant to buy wearable tech if it's not durable, scratch/impact/water resistant.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

That is why I stopped wearing a watch. Even rugged watches don't stand a chance on my wrist for more than a month. I can't imagine wearing something that isn't "Mark proof" at any price.
I wonder if Spock had seen the gear Worf used if he'd have called him a bone headed nerd wannabe?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate