What do YOU do to save battery life...

droidxchat

Reaction score
how do u turn off anonymous data?

Here's the thing about that. It was an option when you first setup the phone. It tells you that if you agree to allow google to collect anonymous location data, you can disable it later. Google made the disabling part very elusive, it's real tough to find. The only way I've found is to go into location and security, check if use wireless networks is checked. It shouldn't be checked. Now when you check it, youll get a popup asking you to allow google to collect location data. Interestingly enough, they make you agree if you want to use wireless networks for my location. If you hit disagree, it will stay unchecked, but at least you can rest assured that google isn't wasting your battery life for their own financial gain.

Also, some of you might find this a good read:

Android task killers explained, what they do, and WHY YOU SHOULDNT USE THEM

OP
Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0

Reaction score

Here's the thing about that. It was an option when you first setup the phone. It tells you that if you agree to allow google to collect anonymous location data, you can disable it later. Google made the disabling part very elusive, it's real tough to find. The only way I've found is to go into location and security, check if use wireless networks is checked. It shouldn't be checked. Now when you check it, youll get a popup asking you to allow google to collect location data. Interestingly enough, they make you agree if you want to use wireless networks for my location. If you hit disagree, it will stay unchecked, but at least you can rest assured that google isn't wasting your battery life for their own financial gain.

So having wireless network unchecked...does it hinder anything?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not that I've seen..

So having wireless network unchecke....does it hinder anything?

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
Not that I've seen..

So having wireless network unchecke....does it hinder anything?

DroidForums junkie!!

Cool thanks

droidxchat

Reaction score
dalvik cache is a program cache area for the program dalvik. Dalvik is a java based virtual machine that is the bases for running your programs (the ones that have the .apk extension). In order to make access times faster (because there's not JIT (just in time) compiler installed by default), the dalvik-cache is the result of dalvik doing a optimization of the running program. Sounds confusing. It's similar to the prefetch files in Windows.

^I stole this from another post I saw, but that guy stole it from somehwere else, so i dunno where its from haha

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Turn 3 g off unless I absolutely have to have it. That has doubled my battery because I live rural and searching for a signal kills me...I suppose that's what it is.

OP
Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
dalvik cache is a program cache area for the program dalvik. Dalvik is a java based virtual machine that is the bases for running your programs (the ones that have the .apk extension). In order to make access times faster (because there's not JIT (just in time) compiler installed by default), the dalvik-cache is the result of dalvik doing a optimization of the running program. Sounds confusing. It's similar to the prefetch files in Windows.

^I stole this from another post I saw, but that guy stole it from somehwere else, so i dunno where its from haha

haha as long as people get the info!

OP
Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
Turn 3 g off unless I absolutely have to have it. That has doubled my battery because I live rural and searching for a signal kills me...I suppose that's what it is.

does turning 3g off when NOT on wifi hinder any data transfer? Cause the only two scenarios im thinking of:

1.) Im at home...turn wifi on and turn 3g off
2.) I leave home...turn wifi off...turn 3g back on? this is where i might be confused

is 3g even necessary? will i continue to receive calls,texts,emails, etc...when i turn 3g off?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That was ME!! I Googled it! ;)

DroidForums junkie!!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

does turning 3g off when NOT on wifi hinder any data transfer? Cause the only two scenarios im thinking of:

1.) Im at home...turn wifi on and turn 3g off
2.) I leave home...turn wifi off...turn 3g back on? this is where i might be confused

is 3g even necessary? will i continue to receive calls,texts,emails, etc...when i turn 3g off?

You should be able to receive calls and sms txt, but not emails or mms txt.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
Okay, how do I turn off the GPS when not needed?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

it should be off by default...u can check by either putting the power control widget on a homescreen and seeing if the gps light is on...or settings>location&security...'use gps satellites' will be either checked if on or unchecked if off

HuffPCair

Reaction score
Nothing really. It lasts me most the day and if the battery is lower than 50% i just plug it in