What do you do if two person with same first name and last name in contacts?

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Example: if you have two friends with the same name John Smith, how do you put them into the contact list and know how to differentiate them? Any good tips to organize contact list?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
One thing that comes to mind is middle initial. Save them as John W. Smith and John J. Smith. That should help differentiate them... Unless they have the same middle name too, that could be tricky.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For me it'd be how I know them. If 1 is a business contact I'd put "John from....". I do that anyway so I know where I know them from and won't delete it at oh dark thirty in the morning when I'm cleaning up my contacts and emptying my wallet.
If it's 2 friends I'd go by their nickname if they have one, make up a nickname if they don't.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I will change the last letter of the first name of the least popular/used person. The nickname works too, just like to type the first couple letters then choose from list, and the last letter change works well.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
When entering the contacts into your Contacts app there is an "add another field" option all the way at the bottom. Listed in those options are things like Notes, Nicknames, IM, etc.

If you select any of them they will show up in the contact's info.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I will change the last letter of the first name of the least popular/used person. The nickname works too, just like to type the first couple letters then choose from list, and the last letter change works well.

What do you mean?

The least popular John Smith will be changed to Johm Smith? Joha Smith?