What do I need to allow my phone to gain charge while using GPS in the car?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by spazma7ik, Mar 29, 2010.

1. spazma7ik

spazma7ik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Verizon charger doesn't supply enough power to make up for what GPS uses, and I know I read of some kind of adapter that makes the car lighter output a higher charge for micro USB, but I can't seem to search for the right terms, can somebody help me?

2. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Mine seems to work fine...

I have my old Verizon charger (Mini USB) from my last three phones with an adapter (mini to micro USB) that I got at Radio Shack. My battery has never dropped in charge even using GPS, Phone and sometimes Pandora all at the same time.

3. mrredskin

mrredskin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    mine gains a charge, but it's very minimal. you said it's a verizon charger or is it the moto? i have the OEM motorola charger and it works fine. if your's is verizon, it might not have a high enough mAh output.

4. crspang

crspang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use the rocketfish charger from bestbuy and haven't had any trouble. Although the longest trip I've been on is three hours.

5. goinskiing

goinskiing Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I actually havde the same issue with my stock cable and all my other mini usb cables. It seems like charging is intermittent for me, even when plugged into a computer. The wall seems to be my only constant, but the car is almost always a no go.

6. hitek9

hitek9 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Turn the screen off whenever you need to be on one road for a long time. That simple. Gps is still on and voice commands are still given.

7. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Check the mAh rating of the charger. I'm using one of the Motorola chargers. I don't recall its specs off the top of my head but I have no problems with it charging the Droid while actively using GPS in the car.

8. lauriep

lauriep Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Verizon's charger, run my GPS all the time on long trips and it charges just fine.

9. rjsurfer

rjsurfer Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I just used the GPS function for a 11 hour trip and the Verizon car charger just kept the battery at 40%, never went over that the entire trip....

I'm wondering if there is a more powerful car charger for the Droid?

Ron W.

10. williamweaver

williamweaver New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One time I was using GPS for awhile and I noticed my battery was low. Turns out that the plug going into the phone was sort of loose since there was a bunch of tension from the phone (on the windshield) to the outlet. I've never had the GPS drain the battery when it's not loose though. I use the official VZW charger.

11. Spyte

Spyte Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have both the Moto charger and Verizon charger, i run pandora at least 9 hours per day with gps and bluetooth on all the time, my phone never goes to sleep, and i finish the day with a full charge using either charger. that being said, i have never started the day half charged and i'm always plugged in so i can't say if its able to gain in battery charge or no.

12. jrod1990

jrod1990 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can hook up an inverter so that the car's 12v system gets converted to 110 house v and use the wall charger, that should supply enough power to charge while running GPS. Most 5 to 10 amp inverters run between $25 - $100 depending on which brand you go with.

Search tags for this page
car doesnt have v120 for gps and phone but have cig
phone doesn't charge when i'm using it

why doesn't my phone charge while i'm using my gps