What Do I Do With Koush's "Any update.zip" Template?

neccoguy21

Reaction score
I like trying different roms that say they can handle the "Any update.zip" kernel thingy... do i just merge the two zip files contents in File Explorer and then rezip a new one? or is it more complicated than that?

OP
neccoguy21

neccoguy21

Reaction score
i know my phone is good enough to handle a high overclock (im running 12000 now) i want to try out the new bugless beast rom, but its only clocked to 8000. it says it can run any kernel using koush's any update.zip template but i dont know what that means. what do i do to use, say, chevyno1's 1ghz kernel instead of the bugless beast kernel running at a slower speed.

OP
neccoguy21

neccoguy21

Reaction score
QUOTE: *All Froyo kernels are supported as long as they are using the "anykernel.zip" format by Koush*

*This ROM is overclocked to 800Mhz by default, not every Droid will be able to handle this clock speed!
Your Droid may not boot up or may have random shutdowns or reboots!*

this is from the bugless Beast Forum. This implies that if i flash into recovery and install any kernel i want, it will just go into a boot loop. i have experienced this. to be able to use any kernel i want, i have to follow that first instruction, but i dont know what that means. its links direct me to what seems like an empty building block of an update.zip file, but that's only one. its supposed to be able to make any kernel compatible for any rom. that cant happen, with just one file. That anykernel.zip file has to be used in combination somehow with the third party froyo kernel you want to use. right?

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
the any kernel updater template is only used if you build kernels from source... there are plenty of kernels on rom manager under the premium section. & as long as the kernel says that it uses koushs anykernel updater then it can be used with any rom.

OP
neccoguy21

neccoguy21

Reaction score
the any kernel updater template is only used if you build kernels from source... there are plenty of kernels on rom manager under the premium section. & as long as the kernel says that it uses koushs anykernel updater then it can be used with any rom.

thats the answer i was looking for! Thanks!

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I like trying different roms that say they can handle the "Any update.zip" kernel thingy... do i just merge the two zip files contents in File Explorer and then rezip a new one? or is it more complicated than that?

To clarify, since there were a few incorrect responses to your question:

The "any update.zip" format just means that the kernel will work with any rom. When you install it, it replaces only the kernel and necessary modules, leaving the rest of the rom the same (including the ramdisk, which is important for many ROMs).

1) Install the rom you want, in your case, Bugless Beast. It has the 800Mhz kernel you mentioned.
2). Reboot back into recovery and perform a backup (or, select "backup" from ROM Manager)
3). Install a new kernel (either from recovery or directly from ROM Manager)

The warnings about boot-looping and other problems are because you MAY experience them. This is what the backup is for. If you install a kernel that overclocks too high, you might not be able to boot without crashing. If that happens, you can boot into recovery and restore to the backup you made in step 2, then try a different speed kernel.

There's no need to modify any ZIP files. The kernels are already in the "anyrom.zip" format - all you need to do is install them. Just make sure that you install the kernel AFTER you install the ROM you want, as installing a new rom will overwrite the kernel, but installing a kernel will not overwrite the rom.

I hope that clears up your question.