What do I do to upgrade?

brutalDROID

Reaction score
Alright fellas...I havent been around in a while due to school. But I used to be all into rooting and know jsut about everything there is to know back when Liberty was first released. Because of my knowledge, I know that the rooting methods/ROM install methods change when every ROM updates. So my question is:
I want to either upgrade my Libery ROM, or upgrade to the new CM7. Any recommendations on which is preferred? I prefer better battery life, custimization, etc. I would go ahead and try it myself, but I happened to brick my original D2 by trying to SAF, and ended up with a free replacement. Since im in school now, I cant risk not having a phone, so I do not want to jsut go ahead and install myself, hoping/praying it will work.

This is where im at:
Android Version: 2.2.1
Baseband Version: BP_C_01.09.07P
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g462500f dbretzm1@il93lnxdroid22 #1
MOD/ROM version: Liberty v2.0.1

I THINK that this is the old monster GB leak or something, I cant be completely sure. THIS is why I need to know EXACTLY what to do...do I SAF back to something? Or can I just install either ROMS?

If someone can help, id greatly appreciate it.

siriusgamer

Reaction score
2.2.1 is froyo. To update to the OTA GB, you need to SBF back to stock, then you should be able to update from there. Simply restoring a backup from clockworkmod won't work because it has been rooted and its been tampered with. To root GB, you can use OneClickRoot.

OP
brutalDROID

brutalDROID

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...but id like detailed instructions. How exactly do I revert to stock? which firmware do I have to download? Also, once back to stock, what exactly do I do to be able to update? I'm leaning towards the newest Liberty ROM I think...

siriusgamer

Reaction score
OP
brutalDROID

brutalDROID

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/161849-tool-ezsbf.html

Use this to make a bootable USB drive or CD rom to SBF. Follow instructions in link.

TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

Otherwise, use this to SBF on windows. Download the sbf zip and rsd lite 4.8. Follow instructions in link. You might need to be in bootloader mode to use RSD lite, and I'm assuming because you know what your bootloader is, that you already know how to get into bootloadermode.
Thanks. Gonna do that now...and after SBP back to stock, where could I find the OTA GB update? Is there any special instructions to follow?

siriusgamer

Reaction score
DON'T ROOT ON FROYO AFTER SBFing, or you may not be able to install the update.

And you will need to do one of two things to get the OTA.

1. A message will pop up asking you to upgrade, select yes.

2. Go into settings, about phone, system updates. It should find the OTA and ask you to update.

Rooting on GB

Pete's Motorola Root Tools

Follow directions in link.