What do I do if Im rooted but have updated to 2.1?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by 1down5up, May 2, 2010.

1. 1down5up

1down5up New Member

I successfully rooted my Droid after downgrading to 2.0.1. However I accidently updated to 2.1 again before creating a nandroid backup and before installing a custom ROM.

I was following online tutorials but got lost after I successfully rooted due to bad links / expired posts etc. I need detailed instructions on the following:

* How to downgrade back to 2.0.1 (if its necessary) without unrooting
    * How to create a Nandroid backup
    * How to install a custom ROM
    * How to overclock

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

When you updated to the official 2.1, you lost root. So while you have the little icon in your app tray, he is useless. You don't have to go back to 2.01 anymore. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html <-- is something to look at. First few steps will walk you through your first 2 questions. It installs SPRecovery on your phone, and then tells you how to make a backup.

As to how to install a custom ROM it depends on the ROM, there are numerous types out there. I recommend reading the developer's instructions on how to install. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html <-- that guide goes into detail about some of the more common ones. That guide also will help you overclock. Note that you should get a kernel that works with the ROM you are using. Chevy and AdamZ's kernels won't work with every ROM. This is something else you will have to pay attention to, probably in the directions of the developer.