What do guys think the battery life will be like/should be like?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whoops, looks like I did figure out how to make a poll. So choose how long do you think the batter life WILL LAST? Then, tell me how long you think it SHOULD LAST for, considering it's going to be a 4G LTE smartphone with a 4.3"/4.5" screen with an OMAP dual core processor.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Too many factors... mostly being personal usage habits, Screen brightness, and web searching vs streaming video. Difference in idle time. I dont expect the life to be wonderful after hearing how 4g is a resource hog, but alas im almost always near a charger.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

GBH2

Reaction score
A phone has to last at least 12 hours not plugged in, even if that is with minimal use, screen brightness turned down and some of the instant data turned off - it would be better to get over 12 hours with heavy use though.

I find what really kills the battery dramatically is when in an area with really bad service where the phone is constantly trying to connect voice and data. My Droid will last all day with moderate use, but in an area with really bad service it can be dead in 4 hours.

I don't really see much point in guessing what the battery life of the Bionic will be - How could anyone possibly even make an educated guess at this point? Based on Motorola's prior performance I hope it will be "good enough" or I won't buy it.

OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The guess is based off what Moto has previously given us. This poll is just to get an idea of what people think so I don't care if it's a guess or if there are too many factors.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
A phone has to last at least 12 hours not plugged in, even if that is with minimal use, screen brightness turned down and some of the instant data turned off - it would be better to get over 12 hours with heavy use though.

I find what really kills the battery dramatically is when in an area with really bad service where the phone is constantly trying to connect voice and data. My Droid will last all day with moderate use, but in an area with really bad service it can be dead in 4 hours.

I don't really see much point in guessing what the battery life of the Bionic will be - How could anyone possibly even make an educated guess at this point? Based on Motorola's prior performance I hope it will be "good enough" or I won't buy it.

Ppl worrying about 4G, this is one of the biggest battery killers for 3G and most ppl dont realize it. This mirrors my Droid X1. At work it could barely last 8 hours with my barely using it. Doing a battery test at home it lasted 29 hours.

Different hardware specs like the screen and chip die size can effect battery life. The Droid X1 has a 45nm chip. the Incredible has a 65nm chip. That nm number gets smaller and it helps somewhat with battery life. Thats why even tho the Droid X is a bigger phone it does have decent battery life, especially for a big phone. The Incredible and EVO 4G have 65nm chips. I think after the Droid X1 and Galaxy S, every Android phone after had a 45nm chip last year. Then it doesnt help when someone ships a phone with a very tiny battery....HTC...

Reading the EVO 3D forums, it has a 65nm 4G antenna. That could also play a part in battery life for LTE this year.

Then I think different manufactures just do extra different things with their chips that effect battery life. In an article last year Tegra 2 was supposed to be the worse dual core chip for battery life. Read the first paragraph and what it says about the battery sizes:

Snapdragon vs. Hummingbird vs. OMAP - the mobile CPU war beyond 1GHz page3 - Phone Arena

Its an old article so it could be different now. But thats one reason I wanted to see different dual core chips come out this year. To do some real comparisons against each other. I think it should get 12+ hours with no LTE use. If it gets anywhere close to that with LTE use it will be a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Since The Bionic has been rumored to come with an Omap 4 Chip in it. Here are 2 Videos about the Omap 4 in Mobile devices and how it helps with Battery Life.

[video=youtube;SjBCs3WgDw8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjBCs3WgDw8"]YouTube - OMAP[/video]

[video=youtube;rCt3HPXsDp4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCt3HPXsDp4[/video]

Last edited:
OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
See I never really put all my faith in manufacturer videos but there must have been a reason Moto went with the OMAP over the Tegra 2 and I'm thinking battery life was one of those reasons. Why wouldn't they have used the Tegra 2 on the Droid 3 if the only problem was 3G/4G radios issues?

GBH2

Reaction score
See I never really put all my faith in manufacturer videos but there must have been a reason Moto went with the OMAP over the Tegra 2 and I'm thinking battery life was one of those reasons. Why wouldn't they have used the Tegra 2 on the Droid 3 if the only problem was 3G/4G radios issues?

From Anandtech:

The OMAP 4430 differs from Tegra 2 in three key ways: 1) TI integrates ARM's Media Processing Engine (MPE) enabling NEON support
2) TI has a dual-channel LPDDR2 memory controller (Tegra 2 only has a single-channel memory controller).
3) The OMAP 4430 integrates Imagination Technologies' PowerVR SGX 540 running at ~300MHz, NVIDIA uses its own GeForce GPU.

I get the impression from things that I have read that Moto found that they had to do a lot of additional work with the Tegra 2. I think that in addition to the previous work Moto has done with the TI OMAP series, Moto felt that TI's work on their SOC left them with much less work to get to market with a phone. Despite the fact that Nvidia pushed a more advanced product out the door earlier than its competitors, the "extra" work Moto had to do to get to market nullified that advantage.