What Did Today's Update Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuzo

Reaction score
I had already received the 2.2 update a couple of weeks ago, and had all of the slowdown and redraw issues that many others have experienced. This morning, my Droid pulled down an additional OTA update (Kernel version 2.6.32.9-g874c292 android-build@apa26 #1). I've played with it for a few minutes and it still seems like there's significant delay switching between apps and phone functions.

Any ideas what this update did?

truckbutt

Reaction score
It should be FRG22D, which allows you to see and install Adobe Flash Player from the Market.

Insult2Injury

Reaction score
And has other security updates in there with it. In my case it fixed any issues i was having with lag after the first update

Xtreme_Droid

Reaction score
I just reactivated a Droid that I had received through the mail as a factory replacement. I am looking at the Firmware version and it is telling me I am ruuning on 2.1 update 1 and when I click check for updates it says I am current and up to date. Is this correct or should I be receiving the update for 2.2. I have been running on a Droid X and am about to return it and just got back to my Droid but I want the flash player.

solace72

Reaction score
And has other security updates in there with it. In my case it fixed any issues i was having with lag after the first update

Same here...it appears that most of the lag I was experiencing is pretty much gone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/70926-official-flash-market.html

The .apk and instructions on how to install Flash manually are here.

The update will roll in eventually, so just give it time, or do it manually. FRG22D occasionally, but only rarely, fixes lag issues with FRG01B. The preferred solution for fixing a lag issue is, before you get FRG22D, manually install the larger update file of FRG01B. It seems to solve 95% or more of the issues people have with FRG01B.

aldaudio

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/70926-official-flash-market.html

The .apk and instructions on how to install Flash manually are here.

The update will roll in eventually, so just give it time, or do it manually. FRG22D occasionally, but only rarely, fixes lag issues with FRG01B. The preferred solution for fixing a lag issue is, before you get FRG22D, manually install the larger update file of FRG01B. It seems to solve 95% or more of the issues people have with FRG01B.

I installed the larger FRG01B file as my manual update because I got tired of waiting for the OTA, but I have severe lag almost any time I go to my home screen.

so, I don't think installing the larger file is really a fix.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That's called a redraw and it happens under 2.2 due to memory handling issues. Most people installing the file over a bad update had very positive results. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

The redraw is a major issue, but some people have had good results moving to a launcher replacement like ADW or Launcher Pro. Oh, and if anyone is running a task killer or antivirus software, uninstall it. They're unneeded and really sock it to the phone in battery life issues and performance issues. Task killers actually interfere with the proper operation of the phone.

aldaudio

Reaction score
That's called a redraw and it happens under 2.2 due to memory handling issues. Most people installing the file over a bad update had very positive results. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

The redraw is a major issue, but some people have had good results moving to a launcher replacement like ADW or Launcher Pro. Oh, and if anyone is running a task killer or antivirus software, uninstall it. They're unneeded and really sock it to the phone in battery life issues and performance issues. Task killers actually interfere with the proper operation of the phone.

so what can i do besides wait out the new update? i saw in other threads that people were having the redraw issue with all launchers.

i went straight from 2.1 to the 70+mb 2.2 update. using launcherPro, with no taskiller installed.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Right now the only options are to root and hope a faster kernel or compcache fixes it, try every launcher to see if one is decidedly better than what you have, do a factory reset/flash SBF files onto your phone, or take it to Verizon and complain and hope they replace your phone. If you don't have FRG22D you could try a reinstall of the larger file, but there's no guarantee it'll fix anything.

The compcache option is currently under study because if it fixes things then hopefully a new kernel that supports it and the option to enable it will be included in the next stock build. It's looking promising, though. :)

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Does that mean there will be a new new update?

sent via subspace radio

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Google refuses to rule out the possibility of Gingerbread making it onto the Droid.

No guarantees of a future build, but if there IS one...

And there's always the ROM community once official support ends. The G1 has FroYo on it thanks to ROM Makers like Cyanogen. Heck, they even have ROMs for the Incredible and are working on the X and D2 as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.