what did the last update do for the droid_x

Hiker5208

Reaction score
I feel like the patch update messed up my phone! Problems that I didn't have are now appearing. Poor call signal, dropped calls, reboots, and major dialing lag - all have occurred since that patch. Ov and battery life is worse. Anyone else notice their phone getting worse rather than better?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

I am on phone number 4 since the latest update. Constant reboots, Battery life is even worse and the phone actually overheats at times, lag in calls and apps that used to work no longer do. Took 3 tries to even get a phone where the notification LED for missed calls would work. I was happier with the previous version of GB. I ain't into rooting and installing ROMS so that is not an option. I know it is not hard and as a PC tech with 20 years experience, I know I can do it. I just don't want to. Need my phone to work though.

Last phone was yesterday and I have had 3 reboots and the keyboard won't type at times either requiring me to power cycle the damn thing. Time to call Verizon again tomorrow.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
You HAVE tried a complete wipe of data or in your case, a factory data reset? At times and especially after an update, it is in good practice to do this...I'm sure though, you know this..just an idea..
Also, while getting these replacements, are they coming preloaded with the update? If not..don't take it...Although, it may push you to do so..But there are ways to block them...(which, I'm sure you already know)..hope this may give some hope, or light...
Also..three or four days of a "settle" really can work wonders...:)
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Natey2

Reaction score
You HAVE tried a complete wipe of data or in your case, a factory data reset? At times and especially after an update, it is in good practice to do this...I'm sure though, you know this..just an idea..

Good practice? ;)
Microsoft Windows doesn't require a reinstall of everything after a Service Pack upgrade. Linux doesn't require a reinstall of everything after a yum update.
Windows Mobile didn't require a reinstall after an OS update. Neither does the iPhone.
Why does Android need a factory data reset after an update?
Google/Carrier/Manufacturer needs to find out what causes problems after an update and fix this.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good practice? ;)
Microsoft Windows doesn't require a reinstall of everything after a Service Pack upgrade. Linux doesn't require a reinstall of everything after a yum update.
Windows Mobile didn't require a reinstall after an OS update. Neither does the iPhone.
Why does Android need a factory data reset after an update?
Google/Carrier/Manufacturer needs to find out what causes problems after an update and fix this.

Then why does Android need a data wipe when flashing a ROM? Any way you look at it, you're still flashing one ROM over another.

random rom'd X

Hiker5208

Reaction score
Also, while getting these replacements, are they coming preloaded with the update? If not..don't take it...Although, it may push you to do so..But there are ways to block them...(which, I'm sure you already know)..hope this may give some hope, or light...
Also..three or four days of a "settle" really can work wonders...:)
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

I have done Factory data reset on all the phones after getting them and doing the update. A couple of them I have Factory reset again as well. Blocking the update mostly requires rooting the phone from what I can tell and I don't want to fool with that. This last phone did come with the update already installed. I should say I have been through this in about the last two weeks and had a couple of the phones 4-5 days while testing and/or waiting for replacement. The phones in question got worse instead of better this time. I am used to the "settle" period and pretty much wait at this time, but when important features to me are NOT working that were supposed to be fixed by the update

Hiker5208

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Verizon again. This time they are replacing with a Droid X2. I just want my phone to work, so if it does that is fine with me!

Natey2

Reaction score
Then why does Android need a data wipe when flashing a ROM? Any way you look at it, you're still flashing one ROM over another.

That suggests that the app data is too tightly coupled to the OS/ROM.
The instructions for OTA .602 did not prescribe a Factory Data Reset.
And a Google Android bug prevents the automatic restore of installed apps in many cases.

Hiker5208

Reaction score
Titanium Backup is your friend. ;)

random rom'd X

That would mean rooting the phone, unless somehow Titanium is now working without root access. I know the advantages of rooting, and I just choose not to do so.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
That would mean rooting the phone, unless somehow Titanium is now working without root access. I know the advantages of rooting, and I just choose not to do so.

I was just giving Natey2 a hard time because he is anti root. I believe mybackup pro works without root.

random rom'd X

Natey2

Reaction score
Yes, it is a sad day for Android when doing a proper/complete backup requires hacking (rooting) the phone.
What would it have cost Verizon to allow a limited sysadmin-type login/boot/startup to perform a complete (nandroid-type) backup, so that end users can quickly restore/recover if something bad happens?
Like Google Nexus S owners can.