What cause the "insecure element" when running Google Wallet?

OP
S

shanimal92

Reaction score
I replaced my battery with the extended version and I didn't have a problem with GWallet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Me too. Do you guys think it will work through a Otterbox Defender case?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Was reading some more about this and am wondering who is getting these errors and when? I haven't gotten it, I sideloaded the apk on arhd ROM. If I flash a new ROM will I get the secure element not responding error? Not really wanting to lose functionality of Google Wallet by flashing new roms. It works now, but wasn't sure about future ROM flashing...

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Was reading some more about this and am wondering who is getting these errors and when? I haven't gotten it, I sideloaded the apk on arhd ROM. If I flash a new ROM will I get the secure element not responding error? Not really wanting to lose functionality of Google Wallet by flashing new roms. It works now, but wasn't sure about future ROM flashing...

I'm not gonna flash a from until Google vzw release the official ota and devs tweak it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not gonna flash a from until Google vzw release the official ota and devs tweak it.

That includes any ROMs incremental upgrade too? Like a 1.1 to a 1.2? Also if this secure element thing happens does that render NFC useless, or just Google Wallet? Either one would suck, but the first one would suck a lot more haha

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have the Secure Element error and I went the Verizon store to try and exchange it and they wouldn't because the said Google Wallet is not supported blah blah blah. So I am screwed until Verizon officially supports Wallet or they come out with Isis. Then I could exchange my phone because Wallet and Isis wouldn't work because the Secure Element chip is bad. While I was there I installed Wallet on there demo phone haha.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the Secure Element error and I went the Verizon store to try and exchange it and they wouldn't because the said Google Wallet is not supported blah blah blah. So I am screwed until Verizon officially supports Wallet or they come out with Isis. Then I could exchange my phone because Wallet and Isis wouldn't work because the Secure Element chip is bad. While I was there I installed Wallet on there demo phone haha.

So just curious what you did to receive that error? Did you flash the zip or install the apk? Were you running a custom ROM and switched your ROM? When and how did you get the error. Sounds like this error messes up NFC completely right? Or am I understanding you wrong?

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
So just curious what you did to receive that error? Did you flash the zip or install the apk? Were you running a custom ROM and switched your ROM? When and how did you get the error. Sounds like this error messes up NFC completely right? Or am I understanding you wrong?
I used the zip method. The APK wasn't out. I was stock rooted when I flashed it but switched to RootzBoat and I think thats when I got the error. It doesn't mess up NFC. I tried Beam at the store and it worked so NFC is fine its the Secure Element chip that is bricked. So I can't use Google Wallet or probably Isis when it comes out ever unless I get a new phone which I will when those come out.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used the zip method. The APK wasn't out. I was stock rooted when I flashed it but switched to RootzBoat and I think thats when I got the error. It doesn't mess up NFC. I tried Beam at the store and it worked so NFC is fine its the Secure Element chip that is bricked. So I can't use Google Wallet or probably Isis when it comes out ever unless I get a new phone which I will when those come out.

Thanks for the info. Makes me feel a little better...i used the apk to install, that doesn't mean its going to work if i switch roms but at least I know NFC won't be completely broken if i do...worse comes to worst i guess i can live without wallet or isis as i doubt i'd use it much more then for novelty purposes.

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Makes me feel a little better...i used the apk to install, that doesn't mean its going to work if i switch roms but at least I know NFC won't be completely broken if i do...worse comes to worst i guess i can live without wallet or isis as i doubt i'd use it much more then for novelty purposes.
Yea I figured I would rarely use it but you should be able to get a new one when Wallet or Isis comes out on Verizon because its a hardware problem.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Only thing is they likely will give u a refurb rather than a new phone

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only thing is they likely will give u a refurb rather than a new phone

This is also true haha...i think if it comes to the point where I have to choose between getting a refurb or google wallet not working i'll stick with not having google wallet

captdroid

Reaction score
From what I have read this is a problem with the Nexus S on Sprint as well. Having to get a new phone because of this is epic fail. Obviously Google will have to resolve this another way or lose to Verizon and others competing payment service using a phone.

As far as using a non stock ROM and Google Wallet I read that Google does not support that at all. Go figure :)

Having said that I also read that someone who upgraded from stock 4.01 to stock 4.02 ICS ended up with this secure element error lockdown. Hmmm... time will tell... mine seems to work fine at the moment. Used the .apk install (no zip through recovery at all) on 4.02 after updating from 4.01.

Will Google and others resolve this issue gracefully or fail miserably? http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=52370a271c440dcf&hl=en

Seems a shame to have something so cool with such potential marketing hard with $10 bonus start and then simply fail quite possibly for many if they end up with this error for whatever reason.

Perhaps this is why Verizon will not support Google Wallet and of course wishes GW to fail anyway. Come on Google straighten this mess out! Don't drop the ball on this one. Put some of those Billions of bucks at work to make this Google Wallet work for us gracefully with reasonable solution if getting this error or any other problem with GW :)

Interesting read concerning Google Wallet and phone payment systems: http://www.devlogiciels.net/fr/network/google-needs-to-be-open-about-google-wallet-analyst-says.html