What can you do with custom ROMs...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
...that you can't do with a rooted phone and some market apps? A friend wants me to root their phone, but doesn't want a custom ROM because he heard they "were unstable"...

Is there anything specific that can be done with custom ROMs that can't be done with a rooted phone and apps from the market?

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cool yeah that's what I figured as well, just wasn't sure if I missed anything big that any ROM offers.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
A rom would consist of apps, all of which can be obtained through the market or forums like this and XDA usually, a bunch of hacks thrown together usually in something like gscripts where theres a front end to tweak them. A rooted rom could do the same tweaks, but a rom tends to throw them all together in an easy to use package.

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
right, thats why my friend didn't want to install a custom ROM because he doesn't want all those features, so I told him he would most probably be able to get all those features just from the apps that are available in the market (like led notifications customizing, gesture unlocks, overclocking, etc).

and of course you'd still be able to theme. i'm thinking of just going back to the stock ROM and just installing the options I want from the market, now haha...

twesty

Reaction score
One good thing about custom roms is they run faster than the pre loaded rom

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

But youu can still install a custom kernel if you're rooted without installing an entire ROM, unless there's something else that's being done...doesn't seem like there is though...

twesty

Reaction score

But youu can still install a custom kernel if you're rooted without installing an entire ROM, unless there's something else that's being done...doesn't seem like there is though...

correct me if i'm wrong and i will admit that i'm still pretty new to the custom roms on this phone(not as developed as my droid eris was) but from what i've learned there isn't a bunch of bloat apps on custom roms

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

correct me if i'm wrong and i will admit that i'm still pretty new to the custom roms on this phone(not as developed as my droid eris was) but from what i've learned there isn't a bunch of bloat apps on custom roms

Well you can remove bloat with root alone...don't need a custom ROM

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
A friend wants me to root their phone, but doesn't want a custom ROM because he heard they "were unstable"...
Depends on the ROM. Stock ROM's can be unstable or can be made unstable as well. Sweeping assumptions like that are of little practical use.

"Something else" would be the ROM. The kernel is just the kernel. Both affect performance.

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
A friend wants me to root their phone, but doesn't want a custom ROM because he heard they "were unstable"...
Depends on the ROM. Stock ROM's can be unstable or can be made unstable as well. Sweeping assumptions like that are of little practical use.

"Something else" would be the ROM. The kernel is just the kernel.

that was in response to someone saying ROMs are faster. They're faster because of the kernel, which can be installed if you have root and a custom recovery. The "ROM" would not somehow make your phone faster if it used the factory kernel.

Pretty much, you can do everything you can do with a ROM that you can do with just root and some apps and some scripts you write.