What can I do with a Droid without service?

hiker_jon

Reaction score
Hi,
I posted this first on the Motorola forum, but now realize that this forum might be better.

My wife dropped her droid and cracked the LCD. So we got her a Droid 2. Now I have the old Droid which is functional as long as you ignore the crack. I have started exploring what I can do with it. I can connect it to my home wifi network.

Internet browsing doesn't work well (stops after a couple minutes why??), but most of the apps (Pandora, live radio feeds, Weather, k9 email) work pretty well (although they can sometimes lose connectivity). Turning wifi off then on or rebooting the phone usually gets it connected again.
GPS works great with OruxMaps using maps that I can download. So this works when away from home.

Navigate seems to work as long as I get the directions while at home (or another place) connected to wifi.
Camera works fine.

I am new to this and would like to hear from others to see what is possible with a droid with no service.

Thanks,
Jon

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You could probably get some money out of it on ebay, people need Droid Parts

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I think Skype only works on 3G and not Wi-Fi

Darkseider

Reaction score
Well aside from the cracked screen it would make an excellent media player/game player. MP3s, movies, games, emulators, etc... Not to mention Wifi so you can browse, hit the market, etc... When a nice dual core Android hits VZW my Droid will be retired to my son as a PMP.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
one fancy mp3/mp4 player.

you're still wifi capable so there's still alot you can do

MADDMOE

Reaction score
Window wont stay open , use your droid. Door wont stay open , use your droid. Your at the gas station getting gas & you need something out of your car but you dont want to stop pumping gas well by all means put that droid in between that trigger on that handle & pump away while your in your car.

Daft-H

Reaction score
use it as a test device for anything youre unsure about, like roms or something

sal33n

Reaction score
Think of it more as an ipod touch. PMP, games, internet, note/grocery taker. There are lots of apps.