What camera problem?

hydro556

Reaction score
I was hoping it was mainly user error and that I just wasn't used to it yet, but I'm now convinced that I either need to get used to crappy pictures (and carrying around my real camera) or I need to trade this in for something else. I hear Verizon charges a $35 restocking fee. That stinks.

Show me the best shot you have taken yet and then tell me what is wrong with it. Then show me some shots from a phone cam that you think takes good pics.

kimintenn

Reaction score
These camera issues baffle me. I am very impressed with my Nexus overall, but one of its best features to me IS the camera.

I am no pro photog, but I do have a Nikon D90, and know what good pics look like. I love the camera, not just its speed, but the quality of the shots. I wasnt expecting the best camera in the world, being a phone and all, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I get very fast focus lock, and then a great pic 90% of the time. I can make it blur if I want to, but it is easy to get great shots, IMO, pretty easily.

I either got a great one from the factory, or you got a dud. I had an OG Droid, and an Incredible each for a long time, and a Bionic for ~2 weeks. The GNex is easily the best camera of the bunch. I dont expect D90 quality shots, but I do get shots on par with an average P&S camera, so no way I can complain about it. IT is a plus on my GNex, not a minus.

Posts like this really do make me think I have a dud... I've had my OG Droid since they first came out years ago and it takes amazing pictures compared to this camera. I did manage to get some decent pictures outside, but I have not taken a single good picture indoors.

I wish I had a dud because I really really want to like this phone. I've been waiting on it for months now!

kimintenn

Reaction score
Show me the best shot you have taken yet and then tell me what is wrong with it. Then show me some shots from a phone cam that you think takes good pics.

All of my pictures are of my kids and I don't post pictures of them online so I don't have any good examples to share... I will tell you though that the pictures posted back a few pages by Lazarus? (I think thats the userID) are similar to what I'm getting. Mine are just generally blurry... they look just like the pictures I used to get with my Blackberrry Curve. Was hoping it might even be a smudge on the lens because I think that can be many people's problem, but my lens is clear.

hydro556

Reaction score
All of my pictures are of my kids and I don't post pictures of them online so I don't have any good examples to share... I will tell you though that the pictures posted back a few pages by Lazarus? (I think thats the userID) are similar to what I'm getting. Mine are just generally blurry... they look just like the pictures I used to get with my Blackberrry Curve. Was hoping it might even be a smudge on the lens because I think that can be many people's problem, but my lens is clear.

You sound sincere, as opposed to a lot of the knocks I see on some of the forums, from people I am pretty sure dont even have a Nexus but are just FB's of other phones.

The GNex is really impressing me, and the camera is one of its strong suits in my opinion. If I were you, I'd go exchange it. Or at least try a couple demo's out in the store and see if you can get acceptable (for you) images from them?

lazarus2297

Reaction score
i would like to see some of the "great" shots this camera is taking from those that claim it takes wonderful pictures.. I am not trying to be rude but I have complained about the quality and have posted pictures but all those saying the camera takes great pics are just saying not posting any of these wonderful shots.. I am mainly concerned with indoor shots not outdoor shots as most cameras do well outside with ample ambient light..

kimintenn

Reaction score
You sound sincere, as opposed to a lot of the knocks I see on some of the forums, from people I am pretty sure dont even have a Nexus but are just FB's of other phones.

The GNex is really impressing me, and the camera is one of its strong suits in my opinion. If I were you, I'd go exchange it. Or at least try a couple demo's out in the store and see if you can get acceptable (for you) images from them?

Yep, I am sincere and am not one that typically gadget-bashes on forums. LOL I think I'm just majorly bummed because I've been waiting and waiting through all the delays and I picked this phone over others, first because of the "no-lag" camera. My OG Droid was so slow taking pictures that the no lag sounded like heaven! Secondly I picked it because I love that there is virtually no bloatware (again comparing to my OG Droid which was filled with crappy aps that I had no use for).

I think part of my photo quality issues are that I find it difficult to touch the screen, wait for the green focus and then click the "take a picture" button while keeping my hand perfectly still. I'm not sure it's possible.

I know some people think it's ridiculous to put so much stock into a camera on a cell phone, but everybody has their thing when it comes to these phones and it just happens that the camera is almost at the top of my list. I should also mention that I live in a major city and my phone has completely dropped signal twice already... that's never happened to me before in all of my years with Verizon. (but that is a topic for another thread)

hydro556

Reaction score
i would like to see some of the "great" shots this camera is taking from those that claim it takes wonderful pictures.. I am not trying to be rude but I have complained about the quality and have posted pictures but all those saying the camera takes great pics are just saying not posting any of these wonderful shots.. I am mainly concerned with indoor shots not outdoor shots as most cameras do well outside with ample ambient light..

I have no problems with that at all. Makes sense to me.

I will snap a few shots, of subjects other than my kids and post them up tomorrow. Careful with that you are calling "great" shots. That is very subjective.

Compared to my DSLR, they arent great. But, apples-apples wise, they are very good relative to my previous Android phones, the Incredible, OGD and Bionic.

I have zero complaints with the camera. Love the speed and some of the editing tools. The point I am just trying to get across is this. The camera on the GNex is a good overall camera with great speed and editing tools. In no way, IMO, is it a net negative.

ETA- I should point out that I have never uploaded any of the pictures from my GNex (or any other camera phone for that matter). I am looking at them on the phone itself, and just texting them if anything. For what that is worth, just being upfront. The pics are very satisfactory to me, looking at them on that gorgeous, huge GNex screen.

Last edited:

kimintenn

Reaction score

Right, I got some acceptable pictures outdoors today, but have yet to get a good one indoors. I need to do a side by side comparison with my OG Droid but I dont want to have to hook it up via USB to transfer the pictures now that I can't email myself the pics! (I'm lazy!)

hydro556

Reaction score
Yep, I am sincere and am not one that typically gadget-bashes on forums. LOL I think I'm just majorly bummed because I've been waiting and waiting through all the delays and I picked this phone over others, first because of the "no-lag" camera. My OG Droid was so slow taking pictures that the no lag sounded like heaven! Secondly I picked it because I love that there is virtually no bloatware (again comparing to my OG Droid which was filled with crappy aps that I had no use for).

I think part of my photo quality issues are that I find it difficult to touch the screen, wait for the green focus and then click the "take a picture" button while keeping my hand perfectly still. I'm not sure it's possible.

I know some people think it's ridiculous to put so much stock into a camera on a cell phone, but everybody has their thing when it comes to these phones and it just happens that the camera is almost at the top of my list. I should also mention that I live in a major city and my phone has completely dropped signal twice already... that's never happened to me before in all of my years with Verizon. (but that is a topic for another thread)

I dont see any problem with expecting to get decent shots from your camera phone. That is part of the allure of a smartphone, to have a nice camera built right in to the phone so it is always with you.

As far as the tapping the screen first, to get a focus lock, I wasnt even doing that at first and was getting good shots. It does seem to do better though once you pick your focus spots though.

I tap the screen, it quikly turns green once focus is locked, and then I tap the picture button. Usually pretty drama free and the end result is a nice crisp image with good color. You can make them better with the editing tools, but I usually dont. If I need to take a critical shot, I use the D90.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
here i will give one more comparison for tonight..

well maybe not i took the same pic with my wifes iphone and the gnex but the iphone image size is too large to upload to DF and i don't feel like doing the imageshack thing again..

Last edited:

jcardona1

Reaction score
Ditto. I'd like to see some of these "great" photos as well, instead of flaming those who say the camera sucks. The pics actually look decent on the phone's screen, on a computer monitor they look like crap. Not because it's blown up, but because the display on the nexus is very contrasty and saturated compared to a computer monitor.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

hydro556

Reaction score
Ditto. I'd like to see some of these "great" photos as well, instead of flaming those who say the camera sucks. The pics actually look decent on the phone's screen, on a computer monitor they look like crap. Not because it's blown up, but because the display on the nexus is very contrasty and saturated compared to a computer monitor.

Dont know if you are referring to me, but I have bashed no body. And dont put words in my mouth.

I am not saying the camera phone is spitting out "great" images relative to a DSLR, but quality pics relative to other phones I have had.

I will see what they look like on my monitor tomorrow for the first time. The images look superior to my Incredible and OG on the phones screen. That is all I can speak to, and I am very pleased with it. Since that is all I do with pictures from my phone. Look at them on the phones screen, and possibly text them to friends.

kimintenn

Reaction score
As far as the tapping the screen first, to get a focus lock, I wasnt even doing that at first and was getting good shots. It does seem to do better though once you pick your focus spots though.

I tap the screen, it quikly turns green once focus is locked, and then I tap the picture button. Usually pretty drama free and the end result is a nice crisp image with good color. You can make them better with the editing tools, but I usually dont. If I need to take a critical shot, I use the D90.
Mine seems to take forever to turn green, ok, not forever... but it ends up taking me as long to get a shot as it did with the OG droid if I wait for it to focus just right. Of course, the problem is my subjects are never perfectly still. I would love to see comparison shots with real people, not inanimate objects because I think that makes a difference too.
here i will give one more comparison for tonight..

well maybe not i took the same pic with my wifes iphone and the gnex but the iphone image size is too large to upload to DF and i don't feel like doing the imageshack thing again..
Does she like the camera on her iphone? All of my friends have iphones but I just can't bring myself to get one... I've always been a droid girl!

I agree... some of my pictures have looked ok on the phone but once you look at them full size they are crap. Definitely not worthy of having them printed out for a photo album! (yes, some of us still keep real albums!) I would also like to see unedited photos and ones of people indoors. I don't doubt that it can take ok pictures outdoors in great lighting conditions.

kimintenn

Reaction score
I will see what they look like on my monitor tomorrow for the first time. The images look superior to my Incredible and OG on the phones screen. That is all I can speak to, and I am very pleased with it. Since that is all I do with pictures from my phone. Look at them on the phones screen, and possibly text them to friends.
That could be part of our difference of opinion on the camera quality... I'm looking at the pictures I take on my computer. On the phone some of them have looked almost ok, but once you see the real picture it's just awful... Definitely not something you could ever print out, but would be fine for texting friends etc.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I assure you this isn't my hat, my brother's over watching the Raven's get stomped and I snagged it off him to take a picture for a test. My pictures seem fine, this is low light inside:

View attachment 44181