What are Your First Impessions Of The Galaxy Nexus?

jcardona1

Reaction score
Would like to hear about GPS lock time. Had 2 samsungs in the past and GPS took a minute or more to lock. Could someone download GPS fix and post the lock times? Also my bionic has excellent voice call quality, can someone compare that please? The data drop problem with bionic is my main reason for switching, could someone comment on data drops? Thanks for any info!

Sent from my A500 using DroidForums

No issues with GPS lock time with me. Pins me doing in a matter of seconds.

jcardona1

Reaction score
Oh and a note on the AMOLED screen. I was afraid the blue/green tint would bother me. I don't even notice it. Whites looks nice and crisp, and white like they should be. Nothing like the green tint I experienced on the Razr. This display is one of the nicest I've seen. No hint of pentile matrix whatsoever. At this point I can't say that the Rezound has a better display, even though I thought the Rezound was the best last time I saw it. The display on this thing is killer.

Riley

Reaction score
Oh and a note on the AMOLED screen. I was afraid the blue/green tint would bother me. I don't even notice it. Whites looks nice and crisp, and white like they should be. Nothing like the green tint I experienced on the Razr. This display is one of the nicest I've seen. No hint of pentile matrix whatsoever. At this point I can't say that the Rezound has a better display, even though I thought the Rezound was the best last time I saw it. The display on this thing is killer.

Do we know what type of glass is used. The guy at the store put an overlay protector on mine, he did a great job at it, but I hate how hard it is to clean and I think it takes a lot of the brightness away. If its gorilla style glass like my D3 and D1 then I'll go naked since I never ever scratched those.

Snow02

Reaction score
Swype isn't available for the gnex yet.

It's using a strengthened glass. Just not gorilla brand. I'm going with the case only, no screen protector. FWIW.

esmier

Reaction score
Do we know what type of glass is used. The guy at the store put an overlay protector on mine, he did a great job at it, but I hate how hard it is to clean and I think it takes a lot of the brightness away. If its gorilla style glass like my D3 and D1 then I'll go naked since I never ever scratched those.

it is fortified glass. mind you gorilla glass is just the trademarked name for fortified glass. they are the same product. it is all marketing.

mantispid

Reaction score
Pros/Cons of the Galaxy Nexus

So, I stopped into a Verizon store today to compare the Galaxy Nexus with my existing Droid Bionic.

Nexus Pros:

Great display pixel and color-wise. Much better than the Bionic's, though the color balance is shifted toward the yellow end of the spectrum (the Bionic is shifted toward the blue).

Android 4.0 (ICS). Ice Cream Sandwich is a pretty damn nice OS.

Decent headphone audio, though it is biased toward the low end, much like the HTC Rezound is. One can probably adjust this in settings.

Nexus Cons:

Poor speaker audio volume as compared to the Bionic. While showering, I can listen to audio books on my Bionic while it is sitting on a shelf in my bathroom. The Nexus wouldn't be able to come close to this. I'm hoping the speaker volume can be boosted through a software modification.

Poor display brightness. My Bionic has at least 40% more brightness on the upper end. When the Nexus is in 'Automatic Brightness' mode, it is still much too dim in well-lit rooms. I'm pretty sure this is something that can be tweaked with a software modification, though.

No standalone HDMI Out... Though from my understanding one can get HDMI via special micro-USB adapter or by using one of the docks with HDMI out.

I didn't test the camera or anything like that. I didn't have the time. But, from what I saw it was enough to get me to wait a few weeks to see if anyone comes up with tweaks to make the audio louder and the screen brighter. Until then, my Bionic showed itself in a new light, and will stay out of my wife's hands for the time being.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
Its not as snappy as I thought so far. But I haven't fully charged it yet either. Too anxious.

Still learning ics. No feelings about it yet.

Loving the dedicated multi task button. Bringing up your other apps running is shown very beautifully.

I like the camera. You can take 10 pics in under 10 seconds if you wanted too.

I love talking to her. She doesn't respond like siri but she gets what you say correct more accurately in my opinion.

More opinions later.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
OK so I know I said I was going to wait....... Christmas gifts need to come first... well, I bought the Nexus and I don't feel the slightest bit of remorse. On to the phone....
Silky smooth does not begin to describe the phone
Gps lock time very quickly.
ICS. Is just awesome.
Phone is a bit of an adjustment for OGD users for sure.

Bad thing is.......... what to tell my wife. I'll post something more in depth once I use it a bit more. I've only had it 45 minutes and I had to do the OTA as well. Fairly fast. Nothing on camera for me as of yet.

scdown

Reaction score

Agreed. Not noticeable here either.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It was huge, especially coming from my Incredible. It was also very very light but very well made and solid. The screen is the best screen I've ever laid my eyes upon in terms of smartphones, wow. All the colors "pop" and everything is crystal clear. Gonna load up a 720P movie onto just for kicks and see how it is, only thing on it so far is an episode of south park and it looks great.

In terms of performance, wow....stupid fast. Extremely smooth and very accurate for touch inputs. I have so far experienced no lag and 4g is blazing fast, almost up to speed of my WiFi I think, run a speedtest later. Well worth the upgrade and well worth the wait. I have more exploring/figuring out to do but so far, I am like the N64 kid.:hail:

scdown

Reaction score
OK so I know I said I was going to wait....... Christmas gifts need to come first... well, I bought the Nexus and I don't feel the slightest bit of remorse. On to the phone....
ICS. Is just awesome.

Bad thing is.......... what to tell my wife. I'll post something more in depth once I use it a bit more. I've only had it 45 minutes and I had to do the OTA as well. Fairly fast. Nothing on camera for me as of yet.

I would say that the phone will be an adjustment to us all, and not just OGD users - fortunately, I think it's a good one.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
ICS. Is just awesome.

Tuktanuk I have one question for you. Can I have your phone after your wife kills you?:biggrin:
Dead Man Walking!!!!

I am at work counting down the hours.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Oh yeah, usb transfer on this device is pretty fast as well.:hail:

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Re: Swype - in the forums they have posted they are working on a version for the Nexus, and last I saw hoped to get it out before the end of the month, but i haven't checked back there in a while.