What are Your First Impessions Of The Galaxy Nexus?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by Preach2k, Dec 15, 2011.

1. mattv111

mattv111 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just Google swype. Then go on there and sign up for the beta

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

2. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    dBm is averaging 5-15 higher than my Bionic in the exact same location...now two data drops in the last hour, one was only for a few minutes though... and I don't know what "asu" is next to dBm, but it's bouncing between 1 and 4

I had read over at MDW about mediocre radio performance, and while it's only the first day, it's living up to that so far.

3. mjones73

mjones73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    beta.swype.com

4. rdgxray

rdgxray Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Would like to hear about GPS lock time. Had 2 samsungs in the past and GPS took a minute or more to lock. Could someone download GPS fix and post the lock times? Also my bionic has excellent voice call quality, can someone compare that please? The data drop problem with bionic is my main reason for switching, could someone comment on data drops? Thanks for any info!

Sent from my A500 using DroidForums

5. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Has anyone restored a titanium backup with user app data yet, how did that go? And anyone with a Mac try rooting with it yet? Picking mine up, just want to restore user app data basically, don't care about texts and all that stuff.

6. jcardona1

jcardona1 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I freaking love this thing. The display is beautiful, like it much better than the Razr. Phone doesn't feel big AT ALL, even coming from a D1. Everything is fast and snappy as expected. ICS is great. Speaker volume is pitiful. Don't plan on playing music very loudly on this.

Camera shutter speed is stupid fast. Picture quality is decent. Nothing I'm blown away by, but definitely good enough for everyday use. Picture quality on the Rezound is much much better. I love the in-camera edits and processing, very cool. I've found it takes a very steady hand to get a sharp picture, otherwise you get a little motion blur. I think it has something to do with the instant shutter, as it literally snaps/processes the picture the moment you touch the button. Because it's so fast, any amount of movement gets magnified tenfold.

Everything else is great. No problem with 4G so far, getting 15-18mpbs here in my office with 2 bars. I purchased the extended battery while at the store. Came out to $37.49 with my discount. I also picked up an Incipio silicone/hard case. I actually like it. Might be leaving it on for good.

Browser is awesome, no complaints there. That's it for now, as I haven't really messed with it too much.

7. jcardona1

jcardona1 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +40
    No issues with GPS lock time with me. Pins me doing in a matter of seconds.

8. jcardona1

jcardona1 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Oh and a note on the AMOLED screen. I was afraid the blue/green tint would bother me. I don't even notice it. Whites looks nice and crisp, and white like they should be. Nothing like the green tint I experienced on the Razr. This display is one of the nicest I've seen. No hint of pentile matrix whatsoever. At this point I can't say that the Rezound has a better display, even though I thought the Rezound was the best last time I saw it. The display on this thing is killer.

9. Riley

Riley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do we know what type of glass is used. The guy at the store put an overlay protector on mine, he did a great job at it, but I hate how hard it is to clean and I think it takes a lot of the brightness away. If its gorilla style glass like my D3 and D1 then I'll go naked since I never ever scratched those.

10. Snow02

Snow02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Swype isn't available for the gnex yet.

It's using a strengthened glass. Just not gorilla brand. I'm going with the case only, no screen protector. FWIW.

11. esmier

esmier Member

Ratings:
    +1
    it is fortified glass. mind you gorilla glass is just the trademarked name for fortified glass. they are the same product. it is all marketing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mantispid

mantispid New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Pros/Cons of the Galaxy Nexus

So, I stopped into a Verizon store today to compare the Galaxy Nexus with my existing Droid Bionic.

Nexus Pros:

Great display pixel and color-wise. Much better than the Bionic's, though the color balance is shifted toward the yellow end of the spectrum (the Bionic is shifted toward the blue).

Android 4.0 (ICS). Ice Cream Sandwich is a pretty damn nice OS.

Decent headphone audio, though it is biased toward the low end, much like the HTC Rezound is. One can probably adjust this in settings.

Nexus Cons:

Poor speaker audio volume as compared to the Bionic. While showering, I can listen to audio books on my Bionic while it is sitting on a shelf in my bathroom. The Nexus wouldn't be able to come close to this. I'm hoping the speaker volume can be boosted through a software modification.

Poor display brightness. My Bionic has at least 40% more brightness on the upper end. When the Nexus is in 'Automatic Brightness' mode, it is still much too dim in well-lit rooms. I'm pretty sure this is something that can be tweaked with a software modification, though.

No standalone HDMI Out... Though from my understanding one can get HDMI via special micro-USB adapter or by using one of the docks with HDMI out.

I didn't test the camera or anything like that. I didn't have the time. But, from what I saw it was enough to get me to wait a few weeks to see if anyone comes up with tweaks to make the audio louder and the screen brighter. Until then, my Bionic showed itself in a new light, and will stay out of my wife's hands for the time being.