What are you getting after the Droid if you were getting a phone today?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Stelv, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Sorry, please do not shun me for this post:) I know someone posts something like this everyday, but I am finding a lot of mixed reviews when doing my research. I respect the opinions of the people here at droidforums over most, so...

If you had to get a phone today (TB is not out yet) or have already upgraded, what would you get and why.

I played with the fascinate at best buy yesterday and it seems like the fastest phone out, but it is getting mixed reviews and has an outdated OS. X is ok, but I despise the locked bootloader. Incredible seems great all around, but screen is small. So I am at a loss.
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

If I HAD to upgrade today? Id get a used D1....too many choices in Q2 to blow an upgrade right now. Nothing impressive is being released any time soon so I would definitely wait until Q2-Q3. That's what im going to do and I've been sitting on an upgrade since August '10.

Sent from my Droid
  3. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I'd get a Droid X. For the larger screen and more memory. Even though it has a lock bootloader.

Swyped from a Droid
  4. shmoo

shmoo New Member

I agree with cereal killer. I would get another D1 and wait

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  5. Stelv

Stelv New Member

I was thinking about waiting, but the new phones are going to be kind of expensive I believe. I only want to sign a 1 year contract (TB may be $379 for 1year!) That is why I was considering getting an older model phone. I hope all the future phones are not this expensive:icon_eek:
  6. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

I would probably grab a Droid Incredible or OG Droid for cheap used, and wait for something else to roll along. I too have been sitting on an upgrade for a while, actually two upgrades. I want a new phone sure, but there is nothing out now, and by the looks of it, nothing coming out in the near future that is interesting to me. Well at least to Verizon that is.
  7. bthomp21

bthomp21 New Member

id get a droid x on craigslist so i wouldnt have to use my upgrade.
  8. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

I did just get a used DX (jumping from the D1). I like it better in every way. With some OC action and a blurless rom, it f'n smokes! :rockon:
  9. sal33n

sal33n New Member

I'm with CK on this. I have an original Droid that I have been sitting on an upgrade now since last summer. I find waiting a little frustrating but this little phone is still kicking ass, overclocked with vanilla Gingerbread ROM and Go Launcher. It's still has life I just really want a bigger screen.
  10. Stelv

Stelv New Member

What exactly does the bootloader on the X restrict? I though the X couldn't be overclocked? Does blurless mean one can remove blur completely?
  11. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Yea the bigger screen thing is drawing me in on these other phones.
  12. bthomp21

bthomp21 New Member

I thought about getting the TB, but with the great marketing and no release dates cause of issues. ill let everyone else waste 300 on that phone
  13. SkullOne

SkullOne New Member

I'd get a used Droid Incredible until I found a dual-core phone I really wanted (Options right now don't appeal to me too much). I'd then use my upgrade on that dual-core phone.

DX is tempting but the bootloader is a killer for me. As much as I love my D1 my wife's Droid Incredible is awesome especially being just as customizable as the D1. If I had the money I'd probably just buy a used Dinc right now but I think the wife would get mad since my upgrade is in 3 months. ;)
  14. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

You can overclock the X! I'm using Droid Overclock. GREAT APP! You have a couple of options with blur. You can use Titanium Backup to freeze the bloat apps or you can just run a blurless rom. I'm not real sure about the bootloader.
  15. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

Droid X
    Most likely. I don't use my keyboard like I thought I would, so it's optional to me (although I do like it when I need it).
    I say "most likely" because I love my Droid 1 and even though newer phones seem great, I don't have the need to upgrade.

Maybe go for 1 year agreement, this way in a year, any phone out later this year will be "old" and lower priced but what you want.
  16. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

The DX and DInc aren't really any more appealing marginal upgrades over the D1 than they were 6 months ago. If I had to choose another phone TODAY, I might have to check out the EVO and Sprint's WiMax. Otherwise the Atrix if Sprint doesn't work for me.
  17. Stelv

Stelv New Member

I'd love to get the EVO, but Sprint doesn't have 1 year contract agreements right? Also my contract isn't up for another year...they are just offering me a phone upgrade because i am on a $69 voice plan and have had my phone for a year.

Also I am discouraged to buy Moto products as I have said in the past based on what I have read here What Is Bootloader And How To Unlock Bootloader On Android Phones [Complete Guide]

So it looks to be an Inc or fascinate from ebay until something better comes out.

Anyone own a fascinate? Pros, Cons?
  18. Stelv

Stelv New Member

So is every Rom for the X based on Moto's version of the OS because of the locked bootloader then?
  19. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

That's my understanding. Personally I don't see all the fuss. So long as you can root you can remove bloatware and overclock, and use wireless tether. That to me is easily 90% of the reason for rooting.

I guess if you don't like Blur or Sense I can see not buying a phone you can't remove it from (although much less of an issue with more powerful phones that should eliminate or at least significantly reduce the issue with installing a replacement launcher over top).

And, yeah, the updates have been a big deal. But Gingerbread is pretty darn good and once we get Ice Cream I think Android is pretty much a finished product.
  20. Wadman

Wadman New Member

I was in the same boat about 2 months ago. Was upgrading from a d1. But my scenario was a little bit different. My upgrade was before the 16th when they did away with annual upgrades. So the problem was, do I go ahead and get a DX before the 16th so I will be able to use my annual upgrade one more time...or just say heck with it and wait for a new phone to come out. I ultimately....after talking to verizon...used my upgrade. I have the DX and love it. After rooting, tweaking, and messing it flies. I love it. I figure by January of next year there will be a ton of amazing phones out.