What are you getting after the Droid if you were getting a phone today?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry, please do not shun me for this post:) I know someone posts something like this everyday, but I am finding a lot of mixed reviews when doing my research. I respect the opinions of the people here at droidforums over most, so...

If you had to get a phone today (TB is not out yet) or have already upgraded, what would you get and why.

I played with the fascinate at best buy yesterday and it seems like the fastest phone out, but it is getting mixed reviews and has an outdated OS. X is ok, but I despise the locked bootloader. Incredible seems great all around, but screen is small. So I am at a loss.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
If I HAD to upgrade today? Id get a used D1....too many choices in Q2 to blow an upgrade right now. Nothing impressive is being released any time soon so I would definitely wait until Q2-Q3. That's what im going to do and I've been sitting on an upgrade since August '10.

Sent from my Droid

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I'd get a Droid X. For the larger screen and more memory. Even though it has a lock bootloader.

Swyped from a Droid

shmoo

Reaction score
I agree with cereal killer. I would get another D1 and wait

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about waiting, but the new phones are going to be kind of expensive I believe. I only want to sign a 1 year contract (TB may be $379 for 1year!) That is why I was considering getting an older model phone. I hope all the future phones are not this expensive:icon_eek:

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I would probably grab a Droid Incredible or OG Droid for cheap used, and wait for something else to roll along. I too have been sitting on an upgrade for a while, actually two upgrades. I want a new phone sure, but there is nothing out now, and by the looks of it, nothing coming out in the near future that is interesting to me. Well at least to Verizon that is.

B

bthomp21

id get a droid x on craigslist so i wouldnt have to use my upgrade.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I did just get a used DX (jumping from the D1). I like it better in every way. With some OC action and a blurless rom, it f'n smokes! :rockon:

sal33n

Reaction score
I'm with CK on this. I have an original Droid that I have been sitting on an upgrade now since last summer. I find waiting a little frustrating but this little phone is still kicking ass, overclocked with vanilla Gingerbread ROM and Go Launcher. It's still has life I just really want a bigger screen.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
What exactly does the bootloader on the X restrict? I though the X couldn't be overclocked? Does blurless mean one can remove blur completely?

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea the bigger screen thing is drawing me in on these other phones.

B

bthomp21

I thought about getting the TB, but with the great marketing and no release dates cause of issues. ill let everyone else waste 300 on that phone

SkullOne

Reaction score
I'd get a used Droid Incredible until I found a dual-core phone I really wanted (Options right now don't appeal to me too much). I'd then use my upgrade on that dual-core phone.

DX is tempting but the bootloader is a killer for me. As much as I love my D1 my wife's Droid Incredible is awesome especially being just as customizable as the D1. If I had the money I'd probably just buy a used Dinc right now but I think the wife would get mad since my upgrade is in 3 months. ;)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
What exactly does the bootloader on the X restrict? I though the X couldn't be overclocked? Does blurless mean one can remove blur completely?

You can overclock the X! I'm using Droid Overclock. GREAT APP! You have a couple of options with blur. You can use Titanium Backup to freeze the bloat apps or you can just run a blurless rom. I'm not real sure about the bootloader.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Droid X
Most likely. I don't use my keyboard like I thought I would, so it's optional to me (although I do like it when I need it).
I say "most likely" because I love my Droid 1 and even though newer phones seem great, I don't have the need to upgrade.

Maybe go for 1 year agreement, this way in a year, any phone out later this year will be "old" and lower priced but what you want.