1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

What are the real advantages of a rooted droid?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Tadas T, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Tadas T

Tadas T New Member

Besides flashing roms and tethering (both do not appeal to me) what does a rooted Droid really bring to the table? It seems to me that with Android being open source and letting you do as you please as is that rooting is worthless.
  2. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

Rooting may be worthless to you, but to some of us its a serious boon. Personally, I love the idea of a custom rom, as I'd love a SenseUI port to the droid. Please don't call something worthless just because it doesn't appeal to you.

Plus the ability to remove pesky programs like amazon and VVM is incredibly useful.
  3. Tadas T

Tadas T New Member

All I really meant by my post is what other advantages does rooting bring. I'm not interested in custom roms and tethering but I would still possibly like to root if there are other benefits it brings.
  4. Zodduska

Zodduska New Member

Some apps require root, for example Drocap2 lets you take screenshots and Adfree Android blocks ads from the web and elsewhere.
  5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Even if you're not interested in roms and tethering, the two advantages listed above can really come in handy. You can also help save battery or increase performance by changing how fast the CPU runs. You can set "profiles" so that when your phone is sleeping/charging/ or less than a certain percentage, the phone will use less of the CPU to help your battery last longer throughout the day.
  6. ezeddiekun

ezeddiekun New Member

Can you port sense ui to the Droid right now or do we have to wait til its released or something?
  7. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

No, we have to wait for one of the guys over at alldroid to finish his port. Should be good though. Looking forward to it. Give it another week or two.
  8. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

You think the port of SensUI would remove the stuttering the Droid seems to have with menus? My mother has an Eris and it blazes through menus with the smoothest of animations. Why can't my more powerful phone do this?!?!?
  9. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino New Member

SenseUI may take care of it, but for those wanting closer to stock, a good dev will probably be able to modify the kernel and get it blisteringly fast.
  10. xr4v3nx

xr4v3nx New Member

Is it possible to reverse and go back to an 'unrooted' phone?
  11. p0rk burn

p0rk burn New Member

Yeah, there are a ton of threads on this very topic on the page you had to go through to get here.
  12. xr4v3nx

xr4v3nx New Member

Okies. I'm just gathering everything I need to start with the rooting. Thanks
  13. cleopete

cleopete New Member

They didn't actually call it worthless, they asked for reasons why it's not. Don't be testy, they're not talking about your mom.
  14. christim

christim DF Super Moderator

Sounds like you have a sound plan. Figure out how to undo what you are thinking of doing first. If you do decide to root you'll do so in a more knowledgeable state than some others. Although, panicking at 2am is always fun too :)
  15. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

the way i look at it is by analogizing to buying a house. you have a piece of land, with a house already built on it. you can maybe build an addition, paint, put in new fixtures, etc, but you are essentially limited to working with the house that came with the land (i.e., the stock Droid given to you by VZW). but, if you tear down the house, the land is open for you to do as you please. and, if you use a young, kick a**, free thinking architect, you could end up with something that you REALLY enjoy!!

that's basically what these guys have done with hacking and providing custom roms.
Search tags for this page
advantages of rooted s3

advantages of rooting droid

advatages of rooted droid x2
droid advantages
root droid x advantages
what is the advantage of being rooted