What are the differences between different carriers?

KGreis

Reaction score
Tomorrows my birthday and I'm getting the S4 and I was wondering what one carrier has over the others for instance. Is verizons S4 "whatever-proof" like at&t?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
One thing I can say for sure is that the Verizon version comes with more bloatware than the AT&T version.

OP
K

KGreis

Reaction score
I hate bloatware :(

Caesars

Reaction score
I would check to see if tmobile has lte where you'll be using the phone the most. Where I get tmobile lte it's incredible.

GS4/iPhone5

bbtkd

Reaction score
Tomorrows my birthday and I'm getting the S4 and I was wondering what one carrier has over the others for instance. Is verizons S4 "whatever-proof" like at&t?

There are two currently available versions of the S4, the standard and the Active. The active is waterproof, to a point. Some don't like the compromises of the active, such as all controls being soft. There is a mini version and a camera version coming. The differences between the carriers are their network coverage, their rates, their policies, and their technology. For instance, AT&T and T-mobile are GSM, while Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. Verizon has the best overall coverage, but it does vary by area. Sprint currently has unlimited data, but that could change. Verizon has the most extensive LTE (4G) network, but the others are catching up. Where I live, Verizon has the best coverage, so that's who I have despite the limited data plan.

OP
K

KGreis

Reaction score
There are two currently available versions of the S4, the standard and the Active. The active is waterproof, to a point. Some don't like the compromises of the active, such as all controls being soft. There is a mini version and a camera version coming. The differences between the carriers are their network coverage, their rates, their policies, and their technology. For instance, AT&T and T-mobile are GSM, while Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. Verizon has the best overall coverage, but it does vary by area. Sprint currently has unlimited data, but that could change. Verizon has the most extensive LTE (4G) network, but the others are catching up. Where I live, Verizon has the best coverage, so that's who I have despite the limited data plan.

Thank you :) yeah I have Verizon and I have unlimited and I'm not changing my plan so I'll still have it thank god. The only thing I'm worried about is the bloat ware but either way I have to get the phone cuz I already ordered the exo life

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I have unlimited and I'm not changing my plan so I'll still have it
If you get the subsidized phone @ $200 you will have to change it, unless you buy it outright for like $600+ or so then you wont have to get rid of unlimited. A cheap way to keep unlimited is to add a line, thus getting the phone for $200 and then adding a dumbphone to the line which drops the $30 data, just costing you $10 more per month. Not sure what plan you have, but I did this and was cheaper than any other option.

OP
K

KGreis

Reaction score
If you get the subsidized phone @ $200 you will have to change it, unless you buy it outright for like $600+ or so then you wont have to get rid of unlimited. A cheap way to keep unlimited is to add a line, thus getting the phone for $200 and then adding a dumbphone to the line which drops the $30 data, just costing you $10 more per month. Not sure what plan you have, but I did this and was cheaper than any other option.

Yeah my dad won't do that :/ ****. Good thing ive been practicing with 2gigs just in case

jseah

Reaction score
As far as the bloatware, you can

1. Root your phone and delete the bloatware, or
2. Without rooting, you can disable and hide the bloatware apps so they won't run, nor will they be visible in the Apps screen. This option won't actually delete the applications themselves, but you will never have to see them again.

mr. vegas

Reaction score
Or....... I just got off the phone with Verizon and they are running a promotion, the give one line the ability to pay full price on a phone and give you an instant $400 off!!!! The S4 will cost you $250, and you won't lose your unlimited data. Just another option.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Or....... I just got off the phone with Verizon and they are running a promotion, the give one line the ability to pay full price on a phone and give you an instant $400 off!!!! The S4 will cost you $250, and you won't lose your unlimited data. Just another option.

that sounds great but seems shady, unless they are trying to boost phone sales at any cost, it seems odd that they would help us keep unlimited when they are trying to get us off it. (not that i doubt you or what you were told)
i hope its true, its been 7 months, im ready for a new phone lol

mr. vegas

Reaction score
that sounds great but seems shady, unless they are trying to boost phone sales at any cost, it seems odd that they would help us keep unlimited when they are trying to get us off it. (not that i doubt you or what you were told)
i hope its true, its been 7 months, im ready for a new phone lol

He told me I could keep my unlimited data, he said the only catch was that it had to be a 4G phone....lol.... I would call and find out, it may be worthwhile and it may be Verizon. The technical service supervisor told me that ( take it as you wish) just helping out with another option.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Huh verizion told me even adding a line is "changing" my plan and I would loose my unlimited data so I just buy my phines out right now sucks but I get to keep my unlimited data

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 2!

JRParsons

Reaction score
Huh verizion told me even adding a line is "changing" my plan and I would loose my unlimited data so I just buy my phines out right now sucks but I get to keep my unlimited data

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 2!

I just added an iPhone for my daughter, she has 2 gigs, my wife and I kept our unlimited. The person you spoke to was misinformed.