What are the chances of this phone getting updated?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Oh that's huge... one of the things that annoys me most about apps is the bizarre permissions they want access to. Facebook for example. My current Bionic has a very old version of it because the new one wants very invasive access. If you could limit some of those permissions that would be awesome!
Definitely my favorite. Sorry, forgot to include a link:

Android 4.3 Includes Hidden App Permissions Manager That Could Bolster Privacy & Security | TechCrunch

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Android 4.3 os features
1 :restricted profiles
Have control what games or apps your kids or people can use on your phone.
2. Bluetooth smart ready:
low energy smart technology that included app to use blood pressure, smart watch,pedometer,thermometer etc.

3.dial pad auto complete
4. Notification access : have control of notification primary and connected device like smart watch ,fitness bands.
5.open gl 3.0
6.Mogii is supported beside that not much
7.Bluetooth AVRCP

2 other features

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

OP
A

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
TRIM is the big one for me. That's why I asked.

I'm thinking LG will update this phone once. At least.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
TRIM is the big one for me. That's why I asked.

I'm thinking LG will update this phone once. At least.
Yeah, I agree. I'd happily bet $5 we'll see 4.3 on the G2. Kitkat...not so much.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It definitely has the specs capable for chocolate update :eek:

N2 tap'd HD
Yeah but I agree with the OP that LG doesn't have a good track record. Speaking of specs...Asus stopped updating my OG Transformer at ICS, and (thanks to a dedicated dev) I'm not only running 4.3 on it but it is one of the best Android experiences I've had. It's SO FRUSTRATING that there are so many middlemen between Google and our devices (unless you have a Nexus, Android Experience phone, etc.)!

-Matt

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yeah but I agree with the OP that LG doesn't have a good track record. Speaking of specs...Asus stopped updating my OG Transformer at ICS, and I'm not only running 4.3 on it but it is one of the best Android experiences I've had. It's SO FRUSTRATING that there are so many middlemen between Google and our devices (unless you have a Nexus, Android Experience phone, etc.)!

-Matt

Even with Nexus there seems to be delays.. I do agree with ya.. One of the many reasons I root and ROM my phones.. I hate waiting..

N2 tap'd HD

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
One of the many reasons I root and ROM my phones.. I hate waiting..
N2 tap'd HD
I'm gonna lob this comment back up to the OP -- if you haven't rooted an Android phone before...it is VERY easy and VERY addictive. Once you've tried it, it's hard to have a phone and not tinker with it a bit. ;) I totally get the notion that you don't want to monkey with it (and over the last several iterations of phones, it's become less and less necessary), but there are very few phones around that aren't improved by at least rooting and a custom recovery (e.g., full access to Titanium Backup, ability to do full system backups, freeze stock "bloat" apps, etc.).

Installing custom ROMs are a somewhat different matter. I tend to agree with you that installing a vanilla Android ROM often knocks out a pretty useful stock app, which you may not want to hunt for and install a la carte (and sometimes it won't run outside the stock ROM).

Either way, if you add custom ROMs to the equation, there is a 110% chance the G2 will get 4.4 and beyond.

-Matt

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
So many phones are great stock now ... Rooted and running a ROM is personal choice.. But I agree it makes it easy to backup your stock and try another if you wanted it.. Also plenty of developers have stock running ROMs with all the stock functions with small tweaks that enhance the experience..

N2 tap'd HD

OP
A

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I'd happily bet $5 we'll see 4.3 on the G2. Kitkat...not so much.

-Matt

I hope the G2 marks a change in LG. it certainly looks like they want to take business away from Samsung so maybe they'll be more aggressive with updates.

It has happened. Actually all these manufacturers had bad reputations as far as updating at one point or another.

G2 is the best phone LG has ever made. Seems like they're really proud of it, so maybe they'll be an update for me.

Again I live in thailand so I have to buy it cash; unlocked. No carrier software or anything. Just straight from LG.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Also I read somewhere in one of the reviews from a major website that they contacted a higher-up in LG to ask about the prospect of updates, and he said they're already working on 4.3 for the G2.

Of course I take that with a grain because how else could you answer the question, but at least there's hope for you naysayers.