What are the chances of this phone getting updated?

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
I hear once you get an LG phone it is stuck with that software until you get a new phone.

This phone and the Note 3 are coming out at the same time.

Lg G2 = 4.2.2

Note 3 = 4.3

Not a good sign.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I hear once you get an LG phone it is stuck with that software until you get a new phone.

This phone and the Note 3 are coming out at the same time.

Lg G2 = 4.2.2

Note 3 = 4.3

Not a good sign.

Any links or reports you can post? That's kind of surprising.

-Matt

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's possible it might jump straight to 4.4, when it's ready for the LG. There's the rub, vendor reliance.

OP
A

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
It's possible it might jump straight to 4.4, when it's ready for the LG. There's the rub, vendor reliance.

Thing is, I live in thailand now. There are no contracts. Here everything is bought cash/unlocked.

So, if LG releases at least 1 update then it's OK. I'm in.

OP
A

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
Any links or reports you can post? That's kind of surprising.

-Matt

I think maybe it comes from this

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/lg/13275/lg-optimus-2x-so-bad-users-have-created-online-petition

Bad press. Then people saying their handsets aren't being updated.

Then this year. Optimus G Pro comes out with 4.1.2 then a couple of months later G2 with 4.2.2 and in the same month the Note 3 with 4.3.

What a mess.

I'm just interested in at least 1 update for the G2 because apparently 4.3 now has the TRIM feature to keep the phone running smooth.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
Rooting is like jail breaking an I phone. Once that is done then tout can install a Cyanogen Mod rom. When that is created. That will give you a pure stock android rom. It will erase the rom on the lg2. It may be some time before that happens, but when it does it will be good imo.

OP
A

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
Rooting is like jail breaking an I phone. Once that is done then tout can install a Cyanogen Mod rom. When that is created. That will give you a pure stock android rom. It will erase the rom on the lg2. It may be some time before that happens, but when it does it will be good imo.

I kind of like the extra features.

I don't want to monkey with the phone. I just want to update it straight from LG.

acousticshade

Reaction score
I think updates are probably a negative for this phone. Might be lucky to get 1 update. I'm looking at either this, the Note 3 or the Xperia X1 for my next phone. All 3 look to be great devices.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
He has point lg optimus 4x
G2x
lg optimus 4 hd
lg optimus l7
lg optimus l9
Lg thrill
lg spirit
Lg revolution
Lg motion
Lg optimus g pro still haven't gotten update.
Lg spectrum
Lg spectrum 2

Didn't get update check on gsm arena for info

And many more

The only acception to lg updates was the original lg optimus one,lg ally and g that got one update a piece.

From android 2.2 os to 2.3 os for both ally and lg optimus one
From android 4.0 os to 4.1 os

Lg have being the worst to update since they got into android.

Sony right behind them also.

If you like speedy update best bet is Motorola or Samsung.

Or nexus if you don't like neither of both.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
You get one update if lucky lg is another Sony with android update.

I think updates are probably a negative for this phone. Might be lucky to get 1 update. I'm looking at either this, the Note 3 or the Xperia X1 for my next phone. All 3 look to be great devices.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

WolfR1

Reaction score
So what is the big deal about 4.3 vs 4.2.2? What are the differences?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So what is the big deal about 4.3 vs 4.2.2? What are the differences?
I've moved from 4.2 to 4.3 on my Asus tablet, and the feature I'm appreciating the most is the ability to turn off permissions on apps, like...an LED "torch" light that wants network access as well as access to your contact list. OK, that's a fake example afaik but you get the idea!

-Matt

WolfR1

Reaction score
I've moved from 4.2 to 4.3 on my Asus tablet, and the feature I'm appreciating the most is the ability to turn off permissions on apps, like...an LED "torch" light that wants network access as well as access to your contact list. OK, that's a fake example afaik but you get the idea!

-Matt

Oh that's huge... one of the things that annoys me most about apps is the bizarre permissions they want access to. Facebook for example. My current Bionic has a very old version of it because the new one wants very invasive access. If you could limit some of those permissions that would be awesome!