What are the Best Kernels and ROMS?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DroidDefDoes, Jun 28, 2010.

1. DroidDefDoes

DroidDefDoes New Member

Im gonna Root today will be running 2.1 rooted thinking about going to 2.2 Froyo but not sure how to.lol..I would love to know what the best kernals are and ROMS? If possible pictures too so I can decide on who and what I wanna run hehehe.
  2. lionhardt13

lionhardt13 New Member

I go with trial and error. It took me forever to get cyanogen to work right on my phone though it is pretty. I favor team chaos roms personally, and usually use chevyno1 kernels. Bugless beast was pretty sweet too.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

I've been using the rooted stock 2.1 with Chevy's 5 slot low voltage 1ghz kernel. This is enough to give you all the main bells and whistles. Another advantage is you won't have to wipe everything you have now and start over. But if you want to go a little more crazy with theming and such, you could play with the full custom roms.
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

What is the best religion?
    What is the best political party?
    Which text editor is best?
    What is better, Windows 7 or OSX?
    Butter side up or butter side down?
    Big Endian or Little Endian?
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

My suggestion -- every rom performs differently. Make a list of which roms you want to try. Make a backup and install your first choice. Run that particular rom for a few days or a week. Make notes regarding performance, battery life, setup, etc. Make a backup then install your next choice. After you've cycled through the list decide which rom performed best and met your needs. Then, install that particular backup.

Hope this helps.

Mike
  6. kenbaker0011

kenbaker0011 New Member

Agree. You need to be willing to play with different roms, kernels and themes. I have been happy with bugless beast, chevy kernels and the blackglass theme. Many, many good ones though.
  7. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Def agree with them. I've used Chevy, BB, and Kangerade and the latter worked best on my Droid. Of course, your Droid could be different. I also use a Chevy ulv 1.1 GHz kernel but run it at 800-900 MHz because my Droid likes that speed best. Jrummy works wonders with ROMs and usually replies pretty quickly if you message him with a question too! Bugless Beast works great too! You'll really just need to try different ones until you find what works with you and your phone best. Also, along with doing backups in Recovery, I'd download Titanium Backup from the market too..has worked great for me!
  8. The Donut Pirate

The Donut Pirate New Member

I'd recommend reading this tutorial on overclocking: OverClocking 101

It covers most everything there is to know about overclocking, kernels, and SetCPU, which is a must have if you plan on overclocking.
  9. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

+1 for SETCPU!!
  10. gavron

gavron New Member

The previous posters really all have said very true and positive things.

2.1:
    I've used AdamZ's Smoked Glass ROMs. They are very stable 2.1 ROMs. Last 6.0.
    Hands down the best 2.1 ROM I used. (I tried Chevy's, I tried Jrummy...)

2.2 ("Froyo"):
    I've tried several including Jrummy's, and ChevyNo1's. My favorite for many weeks was SimplyStunning4.1. As of today I'm trying 4.2 only because I discovered that the "WiFi tether problem" was really my _very_old_ wifi tether being reinstalled courtesy of his scripts.

WHY I LIKE IT (in other words, since others have said "best" is subjective). I like the fact that I can restore ALL my apps and settings and desktop background and EVERYTHING except for widgets with one command (rstapps -c).

I LIKE the fact that he includes a kernel in the install, so you don't have to both flash a ROM AND a kernel... you just do one update.zip.

I like the fact that he understands the source code framework and works with it... and isn't rebranding or retheming someone else's work.

On a PHILOSOPHICAL and POLITICAL level I can tell you that IN MY OPINION the next ROM I will try is Sapphire, because CVPCS actually put their source code online in the true open-source way. That appeals to me. It means if I want to change something (I'm not that good yet) I can. They don't pretend there's smoke or mirrors or magic... just good honest teamwork, and lots of guys [and girls] working on problems.

WHY DOES IT MATTER: 1. Open source means it is something we can examine, ensure it does what it is supposed to and no more (not zombies, not malware, not phoning home... well except for deinstall/install remote stuff). 2. It means credit is given for TRUE innovation, not coloring someone else's coloring book. 3. You can make changes and SHARE THOSE back with those who contributed.

So... If you're newly rooted and you're asking my OPINION... I'd say try ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning. Try CVPCS Saphire. Try Team Chaos.

Those guys understand what they're doing. They don't say "oh oops. ok try that. oh sorry. ok try that." THAT is what being a dev [eloper] is all about... in my mind.

Regards

Ehud
  11. idulfingz

idulfingz New Member

different every week, you would have to ask
    i switch mine atleast once a week, i keep the one i like operating on my girlfriends phone until one comes along better and then upgrade hers to whatever is working best at the time on mine.. it is very true that different kernals work better on different phones, however the roms seem to operate about the same from phone to phone as long as the kernal is the same. i would suggest reading the section on kernals located in the forums.. as far as roms i like jrummy,buglessbeast,cyanogen,and blackdroid roms... froyo by jrummy and froyo by ultimatedroid are both very nice roms ud on mine and jrummy on the girlfriends :)
  12. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Best is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. If you're going to ask a "Which is best?" question you always need to qualify it with specifically what you mean by "best".

With kernels, it really depends on what your specific Droid is capable of. That means that you need to try them out to see for yourself. Not all Droids overclock as well as each other.
  13. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

Why do the Senor Droid members always take offense at these questions. Really, all these guys are doing is asking for an opinion. I was wondering the same thing as far as kernels. It just seems that a Dickish comment is always left by a Senior Droid. Be helpful, or stay quiet. No wonder your thread count is soo high, you ***** constantly.
  14. gavron

gavron New Member

No, that's not it.

The problem is if you say "best" without saying "best what" it's impossible to answer your question.

For example: "What is the best kernel to use if you want the fastest download." I can then compare file sizes and hosting sites for the various kernels and answer that.

"What is the best ROM if I want lots of themes?" I can compare the various offerings and see who has more themes.

"What is the best program to tether wirelessly?" I can compare wireless-tether to Barnacle to the VZW paid one.

Here are poor examples:
    "What is the best terminal emulator?" I can't answer that because I don't know what you consider important features to evaluate. MY BEST might be because it does VT100 keycodes so I can use EDT. YOUR BEST might be something else because it has fonts that get bigger.

"What is the best ROM?" I can't answer that for the same reason. MY BEST is stability. No FCs. I don't want them ever. I don't care about themes, scripts, apps2sd, etc. YOU may care about them and not mind the occasional FC.

See?

E
  15. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Go back and look at post #1, 2, 3, etc - you won't find me asking a question like "what is best?" without some kind of qualifier as to what best means. That's what searching and browsing are for, it's the same on every forum everywhere on the internet.

To clarify, though - I wasn't taking offense! I was just making the joke about how every internet flamewar starts with one of those "which one is better" and ends with very opinionated sides dukeing it out, and you never really get any information out of it.

And Gavron already got it right on the head - asking for "best" really needs more information to answer, because the answer will always be "it depends".

EDIT: I lied - I guess you can't actually search back far enough to see first posts - the search for all posts by user only gives you 500. Sad, I was kind of curious what my first noob post was...
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
Search tags for this page
best android kernals for root

best kernel droid 1

best kernel for fcs rom
best kernel for g70xxkpl
best kernels for roms
best site for roms/kernels
g70xxkpl xet
which is the best kernel for motorola droid