What are SPRecovery, ADBRecovery, Nandroid, ADB, RSDLite, Easybox, JIT

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Jermin, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Jermin

Jermin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If I lost somethings in the title, please add them to it.

What on earth are those things. What's the relationship among them? Please explain them to me in NOOB terms.

I have seen rooting guides using ADBRecovery. But I rooted my milestone using update.zip. I am totally confused.

I have just rooted my UK Milestone using update.zip. Can I follow the guide to backup apps, settings and install roms as well as other enhancements for US Droids in this forum?
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    The Milestone is different than the Droid. Some of the apps, and some of the mods may be interchangeable, but ROMs most certainly will not be interchangeable. Your best bet is to find a Milestone forum, for more help in that area. I honestly don't know much about the Milestone, but I do know that they are different.

SPRecovery is a custom recovery that is used to make backups of your phones current setup, restore previous backups, install ROMs made to work for it. This replaces the stock recovery.

Nandroid - A backup image created in whatever recovery you are using. Most probably will call it this at least.

RSDLite - A Windows program used to flash .sbf files.

ADB - With the SDK setup on your computer (any OS), you can plug your phone in via USB and type into a terminal on your computer to do things with your phone.

JIT - Just In Time Compiler. It is supposed to speed things up, but until Google implements it, it basically does nothing. It can cause instability too.

Easybox - Maybe you mean busybox? If so, it is a package of Unix tools that may be helpful once rooted.

ADBRecovery - No clue on this one. ADB is explained above, and it doesn't have a recovery that I know about. Maybe this is a Milestone exclusive?
  3. Jermin

Jermin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much, cupfulloflol!

I have been trying to find a populated milestone forum but I couldn't find one as big as droidforums.net. I have posted several treads asking for help on the forums I found but majority of them remain unanswered. I will try my luck on IRC.

But I have come across some more new terms during my search. Could you please tell me what are Fastboot, Root Explorer and SPL?
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Root Explorer is an app on the market requiring root. It is basically a file manager, giving you a GUI and some other options to do things on the phone. Root Explorer (File Manager) v2.9.1 Application for Android | Productivity

SPL - No clue on this one. I keep thinking Sound Pressure Level, but obviously that has nothing to do with a phone haha. Maybe this is something Milestone specific?
Search tags for this page
adb easybox

adb recovery

adbrecovery

adbrecovery milestone

adbrecovery.zip

adbrecovery.zip all droid
nandroid on adb
rsd lite with adb
using adb instead of rsd lite