What are some reactions to gingerbread on the X2?

gr8scott_o

Reaction score
Well, was able to update this morning off VZW servers manually.

Still have the music stutter while multi-tasking.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am genuinely happy for anyone that this update took them from getting rid of the phone to "in Love".
I thought the GB update did that for me when I had my DroidX, this update was far far less dramatic on my DroidX2.
Who knows though I probably have yet to see what all the update may have done.
Could have been my imagination but it seemed like my DroidX needed a day or so for the update to "marinate" it got better after a little time. Initially I noticed things like amazing battery useage then it reversed and got 100% better.
So time will tell with this one.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Loved my phone before love it more. Music is snapper, I never had pops of anything but now songs play much faster. Gallery loads much faster even though I ridiculous number of pics.
Doc files load faster if this is Ginger Bread then I'm a convert!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

krakhedd

Reaction score
Just updated to GB and curious about other peoples thoughts on the update. In my experience, I literally couldn't be happier with my phone. I was ready to sell it on ebay but this update has made me fall in love with the phone.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

If the responders wouldn't mind, could you highlight a few issues you were having before that GB solved for you?

Thanks!

Everything seems to be running faster. Memory doesn't seem to be getting eaten up as quickly. Touchscreen is faster than before - a nuisance for me because I type faster than it was responding on Froyo. Web browsing seems a bit quicker. Homescreen nav is faster (LauncherPro free). Everything's more responsive.

I have been waiting for GB to root & remove all the bloatware as well, but it's so quick I may just wait for a custom ROM to come out based on GB.

Disclaimer: It's only been installed for approximately three hours & I haven't made excessive use of the phone as yet.

krakhedd

Reaction score
Loved my phone before love it more. Music is snapper, I never had pops of anything but now songs play much faster. Gallery loads much faster even though I ridiculous number of pics.
Doc files load faster if this is Ginger Bread then I'm a convert!

Yeah it does, holy s***, the gallery load speed (can one even use the word "speed" even though it refers to time consumption, and not infer the function was, in any way, fast?) was one of my biggest gripes & I hadn't even thought to check i until I read this!!!

mattfox27

Reaction score
It's running great! With root and bloat removed I get around 200 MB RAM free. Their's still some stuff I need to get rid of and do to it since I just did it earlier today along with a Titanium Backup.

How are you getting this much ram? is this all day or just right on startup...i have rooted and gotten rid of bloat and i average about 70-80mb free ram all day.

whodidthis

Reaction score
Just want to say to all pre rooted GB that just got the update. Check out the Eclipse ROM... it will blow your brains off

greycobalt

Reaction score
So I like trying to the new ROMs and updates, but I despise setting all my crap up again (launcher icons, positions, application settings, etc.). I was thinking of getting rid of Affinity (which I love) and updating to GB, but I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it after what I've heard. Should I stick to GB and wait for a root method, or should I just wait with Affinity until there's more time for everything to settle down? I can't make decision on my own.

rustymcbain

Reaction score
As soon as the update was available i loaded it up. I was on stock waiting for it so transition was painless. Just wiped cache to be safe. Totally different phone now. Worth the hassle and wait. Loved my dx but wouldnt trade back for anything now. I am waiting for some custom roms that are bugless. Stock is bugless as far as i can tell. Your milage may vary.... Just my 2¢

Willie_gs

Reaction score
It definitely feels faster. Typing is a lot better. Gallery is faster. Cursor relocation arrow is nice and numbers on main keyboard do help.
I still have to test the issue i had with player stopping/skipping while connected to my car.
So far I like it even more.

densetsu86

Reaction score
Ok so overall I love gb on dx2 but there are issues. Love the new keyboard and arrow to navigate through my message before was a nightmare all I could do was get close and delete till it got to it fully.

Video playback is so much better. I was having issues with 720p mkv anime playback and supercharge and noop just could never fix it. Now it plays almost flawlessly. I probably wouldn't watch an action anime but comedy and drama anime should play just fine. I tested out one piece ep 500 720p and it played smoothly until there was action but even then it was a few frameskips but audio never desynced. On froyo it was unwatchable, 5-10 fps and audio would completely leave the video. Only thing though now is that with moboplayer it has to be hardware decode or it will act like froyo again, but since one piece is soft sub I have to extract the subs so it can play in hardware decode.

Problems with gb is that music popping is back and noop and supercharger don't work with this gb/blur bur it does look like zep is on the case to fix that. Poweramp plays with less pop but still there and it eats way more battery then stock music player.

And for the first time in about a month I got a random reset. My phone completely froze and about 2 mins later it reseted it self.

But with froyo I could play 720p mkv anime, my #1 on dial pad was unresponsive at times and stopped playing a song once in every 10-20 songs and popped once per 30 or so songs.

Now nearly flawless 720p mkv playback, more responsive keyboard and dialer, but popping in music more. So its kinda of a trade off but its tolerable. I like gb overall and once the scripts get figured out then dx2 will he a truly amazing phone. But I also would like to see 2.3.4 and see if that's better. I hope it comes soon. Like late September (I doubt it will come out simultaneously as bionic) and see if playback of video and audio was improved (like flawless 720p mkv support ie be able to watch a action anime with out a frame skip and listen to music without pops).

That's my wish. Hopefully that will come sooner but either was gb is much better then froyo its just that once the scripts work then I will fully love my phone.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
GB on the X was quite dramatic. GB on my X2.... I'm still looking for what changed.
-Cursor indicator in texting.
-Signal indicator is Blue

pjkump

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts so far (after only 2 days) which echo some of the above. FYI I used to have rooted and supercharged froyo and now I have just stock gingerbread OTA for the moment.

1. Texting and keyboard: On froyo the swype keyboard was horrible and I was getting multiple texts on almost every text. Now on gingerbread swype has been working perfectly and have not received a single multiple text.

2. Internet radio: Froyo was skipping to the next song constantly after only about 30-40 seconds of playing the song. Gingerbread I haven't had a single song skip after about 10 hours of listening. I use Slacker FYI.

3. Random rebooting: Stock froyo was horrible, rebooted 10-15 times a day. Rooted and supercharged helped a lot and only got a random reboot about once every other day. So far on Gingerbread no random reboots.

4. Dowloading and installing apps: This was decent on Froyo but now on Gingerbread it is lightning fast!

5. Pictures and Video: Gallery would lock up and phone would reboot every single time I went into it on stock Froyo. Rooted and supercharged helped but still did it once in a while. So far Gingerbread has been perfect. Camera is almost instant opening up and pictures and video seem to be slightly better.

6. Multi-tasking: This was also brutal on froyo even when rooted and supercharged. Every time I was listening to Slacker and I would get an email or text or go on the internet the radio would stop working. Now on Gingerbread I've done all of these and the radio hasn't quit yet.

7. Bluetooth connectivity: Very spotty on Froyo as I would have to turn my headphones on and off several times for the phone to connect. Now it connects first time every time.

8. Battery life: Seems better but only two days in it's hard to tell.

So in summary everything I have tried is running better and smoother. There has been no issues to report as of yet but we will see if that changes after a couple of weeks of heavy usage.

srvctec

Reaction score
Screen capture?

Is there screen capture on GB? I read somewhere a few weeks ago that we would have the ability to make screen captures with our DX2's after we got GB since it would be built in. If it is, I sure can't find it. THAT is a feature I'd love to have on my phone without rooting, which I will never do.

Dubie220

Reaction score
noticed today when i put something on my calender i used to be able to send the event to other peoples phones and they could choose to add the event also.
that feature is gone now .... unless im missing something