What are shotguns used for?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I need to find someone private party to buy a 9 mm or a .45... any suggestions?

CM74DX

No, in California you must go through an FFL dealer.

But a Glock in 9mm or .45 works very well and are not that expensive.

I live in Texas and can buy private party. I can also carry in my truck without a CHL. I just need to find someone local to buy from...

MIUI

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I need to find someone private party to buy a 9 mm or a .45... any suggestions?

CM74DX

No, in California you must go through an FFL dealer.

But a Glock in 9mm or .45 works very well and are not that expensive.

Pennsylvania requires you to purchase via a FFL. Thankfully, you can walk into a store, fill out two forms accompanied with a valid PA drivers licenses, pay $25 for a background check, and if it clears you can walk out with your new weapon.

Plus 1 for the Glock. I have a G 19 (9mm) and will soon add a G 36 (45 cal). Fantastic weapons. If you do not want a full size shot gun take a look at the Taurus Judge. It handles 410 and 45 long colt. If you alternate the two it is a great home defense weapon.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I just stumbled across this thread and wanted to add a story that I haven't thought of in decades.

I grew up in west Baltimore County (near Security Mall) in the 80s before there was any development (and crime) to speak of. At the time there were still HUGE farms separating the local neighborhoods. The only way from one neighborhood to another was to cross cow/horse fields or walk around them. Some land owners didn't care if local kids crossed through, but there was one guy in particular who HATED it.

We'd cut through either on foot or on our bikes, and he'd break out his shotgun loaded with rock salt and let 'em fly. The first one of my friends to get pegged was Sean. The first thing he shouted when he got shot right in the --- as he climbed over the fence was "AHHHH! My Mom's gonna kill me duuuude!!!". He then proceeded to wail like a banshee as we dragged him away to safety and a nice deep creek to wash out the salt. You would have thought that he got chopped in half. Of course, we were only 13-14 at the time.

We never stopped cutting through his property.

doctordoctor

Reaction score
Glocks are great guns, but I would also give a good hard look at the Springfield Armory XD pistols. Between me, my brother and Dad we have 5 of them. I have over 5,000 rounds through mine with only 2 malfunctions. Love it. I lamost bought a G19 but after the way the Glock guys treated me I opted for a Eotech magnifier. But GLocks are still great firearms. But XD's are just as good if not better.

speedfreeq

Reaction score
I'm shooting a Taurus PT111 Pro 9mm these days, but recently put a few rounds through a friends .40 cal XD. It was very accurate and has a ton of nice features, but the frame felt big to me, and I have fairly large hands.
I've put a few hundred rounds through my Taurus with zero problems, and its small enough to be perfect CCW.
I like the look of the Kimber 1911 replicas... anybody shot one of those?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm shooting a Taurus PT111 Pro 9mm these days, but recently put a few rounds through a friends .40 cal XD. It was very accurate and has a ton of nice features, but the frame felt big to me, and I have fairly large hands.
I've put a few hundred rounds through my Taurus with zero problems, and its small enough to be perfect CCW.
I like the look of the Kimber 1911 replicas... anybody shot one of those?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Yes, I've shot a full size Kimber 1911. Great pistol. Would love to have one but the price is more than I'm willing to pay.

OP
JohnnyS101

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pistol to buy for home protection and recreational use. What should I get?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

popeium

Reaction score
Best pistol for a novice I would have to say the Jericho 9mm, my favorite sidearm that I have ever shot, not a desert eagle or an Uzi, just a reliable, moderatly low kick pistol

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

tonbon

Reaction score
Kimber ultra in 45 (3"barrel) for carry. LOVE IT. perfect size.
XD in 45 (5"barrel). great gun. just a bit big for carry.
when i show someone the kimber, i get "is that a 38?".
until they see the end of the barrel. :)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like Glock's! The G 19 is a great gun with plenty of power. I have a Gen 4 that came with 3 15 round magazines. If you want a 45 Glock has two (30 or 36). Kahr and Ruger make good pistols as well.

As a first time shooter/buyer it may be best if you can locate a range that rents or locate a local club and attend a meeting then ask the other members if you can test/shoot their weapons. Most are more than wiling to share and help.

Here are two sites that may help Defensive Carry defensivecarry.com/forum and PA Firearms Owners Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Of course, each pistol manufacturer has a forum so you should check those as well.

Hope this is helpful. Let us know what you decide.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Springfield XD's are good all around pistols. I have over 8K rounds in my XDSC9 without any issues at all. They love to be dirty too. Eats any ammo you can put in it.

For Home defense I have a couple shotguns in the house ready for use.

Reaction score
I use mine to blow away useless networking equipment. Haven't missed yet...lol

Sent from my DROIDX

LOL. Back in the day. A had a client that took his old POS Packard Bell out back of his house and shot it to bits with his 12 gauge. (Note he lived out in the county and had a large plat of land so he could do this without risk of anyone getting hurt or even knowing that he was doing it.)

Lil DITTY

Reaction score
It's also used to breach doors (blowing hinges off frames) and clear rooms and hallways. Has less penetration through walls unlike .223 or 56.6 rounds in rifles. The noise it makes when racking rounds is also a great intimidator. Flushed many perps out just doing that alone.