1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

What are ROMs?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by CDeuce, Jun 28, 2010.

1. CDeuce

CDeuce New Member

Okay so I am a brand new Droid user and I am decently computer savvy but i wouldn't say I am good. So i guess the best place to start with this stuff is What are ROMs exactly and what are the different kinds of ROMs? How do i install them? Thanks guys
  2. ZBoater

ZBoater New Member

3. CDeuce

CDeuce New Member

Thanks ZBoater its really helpfully as far as finding ROMs, but maybe I just didn't find it but does it explain what ROMs are exactly?... I personally have no clue.
  4. Webst3r

Webst3r New Member

A ROM is usually referring to a phones operating system. Usually, phones OSes are called ROMs, because of their small size and ability to boot from intergrated memory, i.e the NAND. Usually custom ROMs, have improvements over the stock OS, like kernel enhancements, and other graphical features.
  5. CDeuce

CDeuce New Member

So would most of you promote rooting and getting a new ROM? I have a brand new droid incredible so i'm a little weary on rooting it for fear of jacking it up myself? Any ROMs that you would suggest as well?
  6. ZBoater

ZBoater New Member

I would suggest using your phone stock for a little bit while you get used to it and in the meantime read and learn as much as you can. Rooting and trying out roms is easy, but you do have to have some basic understanding of what you are doing.

One of the first things you need to learn how to do is a Nandroid backup. That will let you take a "snapshot" of your phone so you can restore it to that state in case you mess something up. ROM Manager is a paid app in Market that is very useful and has many good features. You should check it out.
  7. yamaha83

yamaha83 New Member

Also when searching for Roms don't get mixed up while searching and download a rom for the Droid and try to put it on your incredible. Roms ARE phone specific!!
  8. Webst3r

Webst3r New Member

Personally I don't really see the point of a custom ROM. I just use stock with what ever theme I want, and I aadd on different colors and things as they come out.

I believe the Incredible has been rooted. I don't know about any ROMs for it though. Most of us here are Droid uses, but regardless we will be glad to help.