1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

What are ROMS?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by the h, Feb 25, 2010.

1. the h

the h New Member

I'm thinking about rooting so I can get 2.1 (I really want the 5 home screens & I'm kinda interested in whatever the hell live wallpapers are) but I don't exactly understand what ROMS are. If there is 2.1 why do I need someone elses ROM, for example I see Bugless Beast and Smoked Glass or something like that.

Is there going to be a difference between the 2.1 I could get now and the official 2.1 I would get via Verizon/Motorola/Google?
  2. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Just root your phone and install the latest version of BB, which I believe is v1.1. (or you can try smoked glass ROM)
    I think it is 2.0.1 with a lot of 2.1 features, and the phone is configured to say 2.1, so you can run live wallpapers. Correct me if I am wrong anyone?

Its not that hard to do, I used matth3w's install guide and I am a noob.
    Search around for questions before posting :)
  3. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

A ROM is basically all the main files of the phone. The devs enhance and customize these files. So the Bugless Beast ROM, will perform 10 times better and you can do all kinds of things with it, as opposed to the factory stock ROM
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

First, let me just say that live wallpaper is highly overrated. My opinion.

If you are truly interested in rooting I do suggest that you do some reading up on it and getting an idea what it's about. Who you want to get your information from is up to you. I strongly suggest that when you root that you use DMupdater which you can get at www.droidmod.net. Below you will find some reading material.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/11102-all-one-popular-threads-read-before-posting.html
  5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

a ROM is a package including system apps, a kernel, and other files. It's basically customized system software.

To answer most simply why you need one - there ISN'T "2.1", at least, not something that was actually released by Verizon for the Motorola Droid. Various developers have used the software from 2.1 released as source or to other devices to build a custom rom that includes 2.1 for the droid. Each customization includes slightly different combinations of things - some are themed so that they look different, some include a kernel that allows you to overclock the cpu, etc.

If you just want the 5 home screens, you can get that without even rooting. The default launcher modified to have 5 screens has been posted as an application to this forum at some point. You can just install that application and use that new home screen.

The live wallpaper and other customizations (overclocking, themes, wifi tethering, etc), are most easily accomplished by using somebody's custom rom rather than going through and making each change individually.

Yes, probably a large difference.
  6. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit DF Super Moderator

I thought they would be cooler than they were. I played with them for about 10 minutes, but the nice thing is, they look cool when you are showing off your phone.
  7. kevin1016

kevin1016 New Member

Definitely an opinion. My opinion? Bad ass!