What are my chances of getting a free network extender from Verizon?

OP
A

assmunke

I should also add, just in case you didn't hear, that verizon is apparently going to be enabling calling via Wi-Fi next month. It is yet to be determined how / if this will help people like us who have spotty (at best) coverage in their homes.

It's possible right now to make Wi-Fi calls using the Droid, but it isn't supported, and takes some serious setup. And it isn't as seamless as I'd like either.

now THIS is good news! I hope it pans out.

lschicky

Reaction score
what is the coverage like standing outside of your house? Sometimes it's a matter of the building materials in your house.

Marginally better, certain areas in the front yard will go back and forth between 1- 2 bars of voice coverage.I'm definitely between towers or something as the coverage is hit or miss within a few block radius of the house. Signal strength is always between 98-101 dBm

you should call them, at the very least and let them know that it's a problem in your area. Chances are they will look into it, while I don't think you will get a network extender for free, they can check on their towers.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that they will laugh in your face if you demand a free Network Extender. As Black said the 30 day trial is set up for situations where if it doesn't work out for you, then you return it. If you're outside of that 30 days, you can do what I did, BUY ONE. Don't get me started on this everything should be handed to us topic.

While I am in agreement that Verizon has every right to follow business practices that ensure profitability, they are misrepresenting their product in my area. Why should I shell out 250 bucks to supplement their lapse in coverage? I think its garbage that I am basically forced to buy this equipment if I hope to use my phone to make calls (imagine that...) At least let me use my own WiFi router & UMA if I can't use the network I pay for every month, the fact that they lock that down and sell the extender is greedy in my book. Overall Verizon's network is great, but at least T-mobile was fairly honest about their lapses in coverage and gave you a good alternative.
Did VZW give you 30 days to test drive the service - YES
Did VZW put a gun to your head to make you start with their service - NO
End of story

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem at home and explained it to the store's manager. She sold one to me for 50% off (which was their cost).

bconne1

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. If T-Mo is that good, why'd you leave? And if VZW isn't working out, why not use the 30 day deal?

faganm24

Reaction score

lmdodds

Reaction score
Hey, I have had the same problems with bad service in my area, which seems to be connected to them crossing over Alltel towers. It just happened recently for me. I followed the process in the link below and have gotten good results. My username is the same on that forum. Check it out.

Free Verizon Wireless Extender, Improve Cell Phone Reception in your house. (High Speed Connection Required) - SlickDeals.net Forums

It should get you at least some help.

thanks alot for the info. i filled out the survey and really hope i get an extender. it is really frustrating not being able to use our phones in the house after paying almost $200/mth for service.

velocity92c

Reaction score
Enable data roaming. I've never had a single bar of 3g service at my house. Once I found out roaming was completely free in the US I turned on data roaming and to my surprise I have 2 to 4 bars of 3g service almost all the time. Give it a shot, you may be surprised.

johnnycool001

Reaction score
My phone works great everywere but the single strenth bounces at the house. I went in the store and got the extender, for $200 with a $100 rebate. now get full bars when on a call, in my living room.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My phone works great everywere but the single strenth bounces at the house. I went in the store and got the extender, for $200 with a $100 rebate. now get full bars when on a call, in my living room.

Just curious does that extender have anything to do with data or is it just phone?

johnnycool001

Reaction score

Just curious does that extender have anything to do with data or is it just phone?

Just phone only, but for data I have wifi. The only thing that I have issues with if it is one of them times I am in 1x instead of 3G I cant get MMS or attachments via text. apparently it needs 3G for this. Not that big of an issue.
I came from Nextel, where nothing worked most of the time

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
+1 Exact same experience here. Probably saved my marriage. :blink: Ironically, we actually use considerably more minutes since our phones actually work in the house!

-Matt

jrmdroid

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I called complained and after they did a little more investigating I was told we live in a marginal area. So I complained somemore and somemore and finally they gave the extender for $50. Not free but was happy enough I did not have to pay $200 for it. This was just a few months ago. After rooting and installing ChevyNo1 SS 4.7 rom I get 3g covarge like if I was at work. My normal download speed at work was 2meg and now at home I have the same. Its weird but maybe ChevyNo1 has some pull with VzW :). However, I still use the network externder just so I have the best voice connection at all times. I am sure at some point I will sell it but for now I am keeping it as backup.