What Android Device Do You Think Is Truly Elite?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess to do a good comparison you'd have to add in overall satisfaction over similar periods of time.

I'd say the D1 has held the most amount of eliteness (is that a word??) for the longest period of time. That will be tough to beat. That does nothing with assisting someone with making a phone purchase tomorrow though but folks were buying them still early this summer before the phone was discontinued.

I got my droid last November. It rolled out with the latest and greatest Android version that existed on any other phone. Within a month it got an upgrade, OTA. By the end of December it was rootable but most people didn't know what to do with that root capability because there were no unoffical roms, themes, or kernels that had been developed yet.
Since that time the phone has had 2 more OTA updates issued for it. The D1 has had 4 different official Android versions put on it by Moto. I doubt there will be another before it is a year old. I also doubt any other phone out there can say the same thing.

On the hacking side we've all seen the sheer numbers of roms, kernels, and themes as well as the continued support for the D1.

Is the phone faster than anything out there? Not anymore. Might it end having the best 1 yr run of any android phone out there? Maybe. We'll have to see how the rest fair as they approach their 1 year birthdays.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
My choice would be my original Droid, but my son has a Droid X which given the choice I would also have.

mbeta

Reaction score
A lot of you seem very uninformed to have such strong opinions...i had a d1 and a droid x...i now own the most powerful device currently available...the fascinate...it has the best of every category. Super amoled screen, hummingbird processor and the best gpu available the 540... What is more elite then the best hardware in every category...and the battery test for android devices puts the amoled screen at a disadvantage because it uses constant web browsing and most web sites are white which is the most battery intensive color for amoled to display...just my 2 cents.

khaf

Reaction score
I have a D2 wife D1 best friend DI mom DX and wifes best friend the Evo 4G. I get to play with all of these phones alot and Id say the best is the DX. Most important thing is phone first its on Verizons network. The screen is killer, battery life is good, and performance is at the top of the heap. Everyone keeps saying the droid one because it started it all or because you can oc it so much, but dig this it still comes up short in performance to most of the droids that came out after it. The D1's bootloader isnt locked but with all of this it still doesnt beat out the other devices umless you are talking about a phone like the ally or eris blah. You can customize all of the other Android phones too. I dont need an unlocked bootloader to run roms or have custom themes .

Nick177th

Reaction score
The original Droid. The Godfather of it all. (and yes I know the Droid 1 was not the first Android phone).

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
elite.jpg
The question of what the best Android device out there is always behind the tens of reviews and comparisons we see... And now I want to ask what you think the best you think is. This question does not mean I want you to copy and paste a long spec sheet, this question wants an answer in the form of your opinion as well as specs (if needed).
I personally can say the Droid Incredible is the best Android device I have ever used. I mean with its great features, sexy build quality, clear AMOLED display, and specifications up the *cough*... What can beat that? Also it doesn't hurt that I can say, "Sorry, that's my Droid... Ill turn it down" :)

So reply and tell us what you think the must elite device in the Android world is.

Mine. Because its mine

wified from my Incredible monolith using SlideIT on Tapatalk

GoPackGo

Reaction score
Droid 2 is the best in my opinion. I love the qwerty keyboard, that it came with 2.2 out of the box and didn't have to wait so long like the other great droid devices. And the screen is great, fast processor and the size of the phone is just right. Fits in my pocket and hasn't dropped a call yet an d I can hear everyone clearly without having to root. It just does.

THANK YOU!!! This is exactly what I feel. Its also getting new ROMs like every other day.:icon_ banana:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tried to edit my post but it says I don't have permission.
I believe my Inc is the most elite FOR ME because it fits my needs/ desires best but from other perspectives I'd say a toss up between the X and Fascinate for their raw power

wified from my Incredible monolith using SlideIT on Tapatalk

slacker0503

Reaction score
The original Droid. The Godfather of it all. (and yes I know the Droid 1 was not the first Android phone).

I agree that the droid is the godfather of it all, but in this day where we hear of an upcoming phone every other day it can't be called the "elite" phone anymore. To me that would have to go to the Incredible. From what I've seen and played with for a little the Dinc just seems so fluid in comparison. I was about to get one until I saw pics of an upcoming version of the G2 for Verizon. I'm hoping that will be the next elite phone

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

armeddroid

Reaction score
I've played with the X, the Dinc, and the D2. All great "phones". I personally feel though that in order to be considered Elite a certain amount of vetting is required. Someone previously posted the idea that even at a year old (a tremendous amount of time when we're talking hardware development) the D1 can still hold it's own against the most recent wave of amazing pants computers. I have to agree. At a year out, and still viable is an accomplishment that deserves recognition. The pure vanilla experience of the Android OS in all of it's open source easily customizable glory makes the greatest flagship model a truly exceptional piece of engineering. Elite isn't about current popularity or flashy new features. What makes something Elite is it's ability to stand the test of time and though overshadowed by the tide of time and inevitable progress, it still manages to maintain a dignity that can only be assumed through originality, a place in history as THE thing that made all it's future offspring worthwhile. That said, there is no comparison. The original Droid is the Elite. It defines it, it's the standard every other has to muster up to in order to even be considered a refined device. It can, will, and quite possibly already has been eclipsed in performance and power, but Elite is class as well as performance and nothing outshines the pinnacle of awesome that is, was, the OG of actually smart phones Everything else began life outclassed.

+1 Well put.
IMO, D1 and the Nexus are the phones that set the possibilities for the birth of any other Android phones.
These 2 phones are the test mules for almost every current Android phone available.

sent from MyD1.

Nick177th

Reaction score

I agree that the droid is the godfather of it all, but in this day where we hear of an upcoming phone every other day it can't be called the "elite" phone anymore. To me that would have to go to the Incredible. From what I've seen and played with for a little the Dinc just seems so fluid in comparison. I was about to get one until I saw pics of an upcoming version of the G2 for Verizon. I'm hoping that will be the next elite phone

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I should've posted this question before I answered. What is considered "Elite"? Performance? Or the "stature" of an individual device? If you're talking about performance, then of course the D1 is not in the Elite class anymore (unless you're rooted. and I am). However, if you're speaking about the Proverbial "Droid hall of fame", then the Droid sits atop the heap if you ask me. JMHO.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I should've posted this question before I answered. What is considered "Elite"? Performance? Or the "stature" of an individual device? If you're talking about performance, then of course the D1 is not in the Elite class anymore (unless you're rooted. and I am). However, if you're speaking about the Proverbial "Droid hall of fame", then the Droid sits atop the heap if you ask me. JMHO.

+1

People will look back at the Droid and go, "It wasn't flashy, it wasn't the fastest, but it was the start of an era!"

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
D2 hands down..... has all the capabilities of the dx minus the bugs and it has a keyboard. Plus the d2 can be over clo...........

ok no it cant be overclocked yet but soon...maybe...hopefully....daggone motto always messing up a good thing. Just give us the key to freedom.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
D2 hands down..... has all the capabilities of the dx minus the bugs and it has a keyboard. Plus the d2 can be over clo...........

ok no it cant be overclocked yet but soon...maybe...hopefully....daggone motto always messing up a good thing. Just give us the key to freedom.

Except the D2 has that stuttering period problem when posting on forums!:rofl3:

I guess with all the differing opinions no phone will really be elite. Everyone likes their phone and once a good phone comes out it gets copied. Look at what is happening with tablets. Next it will be built in projectors on the phone, how cool will that be?

Now, as far as phone operating systems it sure does look like Android is on the rise!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Dont think the projector idea was really popular, to expensive. HDMI may be the way to go now since it is cheaper.