What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by russianbandit, Aug 1, 2010.

1. russianbandit

russianbandit New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Motorola Droid and I decided to try out a ROM. I used the SPRecovery method and flashed the phone with SPRecovery_for_ESE81.sbf via RSDLite. Then I tried to install a few Roms using the update.zip way. I tried the new Ultimate Droid 5.0.1 and after the installation my phone would just sit at the "M" logo screen and reboot after a few minutes continuously. I re-flashed the phone again using RSDLite utility (SPRecovery_for_ESE81.sbf again) and when the phone rebooted I was running Ultimate Droid 5, but it wasn't recognizing my battery nor my SD card and things kept needing to be force closed.
    The same thing happened with Lithium Mod - "M" logo screen loop after install, then after SPRecover flash Lithium Mod was running, but problems with battery not being detected, sd card, camera.

What am I doing wrong or does my phone not support these ROMs?

2. airborne

airborne New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is your phone rooted ? Got to make sure of that 1st. You can tell if your phone is rooted by going into the app list and you will see a black ninja icon called superuser access.

3. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Did you wipe data and cache (factory reset) prior to installing the ROMs? If not, try doing that, then reinstalling one of the ROMs.

4. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
  5. DeeJayPJ

DeeJayPJ New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my mine working a few hours ago. When in doubt, Wipe data/factory reset and start over. I probably unknowing messed up the 1st few times
    here what I found that worked to root it: How-To Root your stock 2.1 Droid

Ignore the stop part and start at the green highlighted text, DMupdater didn't work for me ^that did

6. russianbandit

russianbandit New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, my phone is rooted. I did that first and there is a ninja in my apps. I also wipe/factory reset each time I try to install something. Also, I can install Peter's stock system ROM (ESE81 Odexed) just fine, but none of the other ROMs boot after install until I flash them.
    That's what I find strange is that after I flash with RSDLite the phone boots to the last installed ROM, but then it's buggy as hell. I would expect that after flashing I would have the stock droid OS.

And here's another thing, if I factory reset, it resets to whatever was the last installed ROM.

7. DeeJayPJ

DeeJayPJ New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have mulitple OS's in the SD card?

8. russianbandit

russianbandit New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure what you mean, but I only ever put one update.zip on SD card at a time.

9. DeeJayPJ

DeeJayPJ New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but different programs and OS's all use that same name to start the install even thought the zip contains different files. I had DroidMod OS at 1st. Then wanted Ultimate Droid 5. I put the new update folder on my SD and left the old DroidMod file there. My droid when freakin nuts when I tried to boot the new OS.

If your positive your rooted and ruining SPRecovery then all you should have to do is put the update file in the root of the SD (not in a file). Make sure you haven't named it update.zip.zip, reboot holding x, pick allow install from SD, then install and reboot.

10. deaf leppy

deaf leppy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you still haven't gotten it working, it might be worth a try to go back to stock, then try all over again.. Make sure you don't have any other ROMs on your SD card, and like he said, make sure it's just named "update.zip" and not "update.zip.zip"

11. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +33
    russianbandit please let us know if you have your phone situation resolved. It sounds like you may have the "update" file named wrong. Windows 7, XP and Vista all put the .zip extension on for you so all you have to do is name the file "update" and place it on your sd card. I have a feeling you named it "update.zip" then put it on the card. However with the extension automatically being place on the file name your phone saw "update.zip.zip" and it will not work.

The easiest way to find out is to boot your droid up then mount it to your computer and look at the contents of your sd card. See how the "update" file is named. You can re-name it and then unmount boot into recovery and install it.

If you need further help, let us know and we will help you.

12. JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth Member

Ratings:
    +0

Hey dlwhtrose...
    I wanted to know if it was okay to post some valuable information
    I've come across concerning the DMUpdater apk recently taken down.

Many people were stuck at the nandroid backup screen and while even though the DMU is (for now) not available for the masses this tip might help out noobs who don't know what to do when they type in a prefix
    (to save an advanced nandroid backup)

My reason for wanting to post this is because I looked *everywhere*
    and could not find the information and stumbled upon the right path
    doing it over and over and over!