What about us? The original Droid 2 owners

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just the fact that the droid eris, only a year old is not going to be getting the current version of the android O.S. is ridiculous. What is the point of the supposed open source o.s. if the hardware still ends up being left for dead in just a year.

I liked the eris because of it's size but I don't like HTC and I knew it would not be a well supported device. Poor little guy.
Unfortunately seems to be the way Android is going.

It's been mentioned to death, but the fragmentation needs to be addressed.

If the iPhone does come to Verizon, it's gonna hurt Android whether we like it or not. :(

Cunha

Reaction score
It sure will. I for one am not loyal to Android. I am loyal to goodness. Verizon network is superior, and the droid is the best thing that I can use. If the Iphone4 was on verizon I would consider it. If I could use it without using Itunes, it would probably be the hardware I'd want to own right now.

Here's to hoping that things get better and not worse.

Last edited:

yahwarrior

Reaction score
How many prototype Droids are they going to sell us before we get the FINAL product? Why are they still releasing phones with ONE 5mp camera? Verizon is suckering people into buying their surplus Droid prototypes first because they know that people always want the latest and best.No matter what phone you buy a month later they'll have a "new" one. Unfortunately on Verizon and Moto that means phones with no LTE or dual cameras. 4 droid models and still no support for video conferencing yet on one of them ? I own the Evo and I can tell you that the minute you use video calling on your device you will not want that old Droid anymore.

MrKleen

Reaction score
My wife says I spend to much time tinkering with my phone. Most people would agree with her...

For most people the functionality of the D2 is just fine and they could care less about the latest greatest. It's only the few of us that tinker with our phones endlessly that care.

For me its just a matter of whether my phone does what I want it to. And for now it does, but if Motorola locks their phones down any more or puts too much more bloat in...who knows. If they lock everything down and don't allow us to get rid of bloat, and replace google navigation with vz navigator we might as well get an Iphone.

Cunha

Reaction score
Infrastructure for LTE is not here yet so there is no reason to incorporate it into current phones. With an apparent life span of 1 year for these handsets, it means that if they sold phones LTE capable right now they might be retired before they ever get a chance to use that feature.

Every phone you buy is the prototype for the next phone. That is a given. Hopefully they continue to refine and create better phones. It's no good when you can see that right around the corner your device will be obsolete though.

I think anything released after right around -now- without LTE will be a waste of money. D2 and DX are great and are good enough to get the job done until LTE comes out and the infrastructure is widespread enough for it to actually make sense.

Regardless, if you want to worry constantly about whatever phone comes out next, you will never be happy. There is always another phone that is better than your phone that is coming out right around the corner.

This is especially the case with the android platform. A lot of companies premier devices now are androids so there are a lot of great new phones coming out all the time.

Iphone guys have it easy because with the 3g and 3gs the form factor stayed the same for a few years. It will likely be the same for the Iphone4.

What surprises me is that no company has released a phone that flat out dominates the Iphone4. It sets a high benchmark and people really compare everything to the Iphone. Apple doesn't want to change the phone any time soon, so another company should trounce it across the board as soon as possible.

I'd like to see a motorola phone in the form factor of the Iphone 4 or Droid Incredible. Without a hump. That would be nice.

revision

Reaction score
The only main point I agree with so far is that my next choice of handset next will be based on which one is the least restricted and can have the bloat removed. I enjoy my d2 as it is now, however if i could i would gladly switch to try out something on a different network that doesn't restrict the kernel used. Manufacturers are really bad at this open source thing... Embrace? Nah, we'll just smother this open source stuff.

Canadroid

Reaction score
I'm gonna give it six months before I allow myself to start longing for any of my D2's cousins. :D

OP
E

everstar80

Reaction score
I'm gonna give it six months before I allow myself to start longing for any of my D2's cousins. :D

I wouldn't be so frustrated, concerned, and confused if these devices weren't being released or leaked about less than two months after the og droid 2 was released and it does make me envious as well.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Maybe the D2 will get a software update and bump the cpu speed to 1.2. It happened with the original Droid when it got a CPU bump to 800 for Flash...

MrKleen

Reaction score
Maybe the D2 will get a software update and bump the cpu speed to 1.2. It happened with the original Droid when it got a CPU bump to 800 for Flash...

Interesting thought!

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I hope so. I think it would ease the mind of many original droid 2 owners.

One of the reasons why I switched my account to prepay. You still get discount on phone, not as much as contract but still a nice amount and you are not locked into an upgrade time. I like having the freedom to switch phones whenever I want and usually end up selling my "old" device on craigslist.

OP
E

everstar80

Reaction score
I hope so. I think it would ease the mind of many original droid 2 owners.

One of the reasons why I switched my account to prepay. You still get discount on phone, not as much as contract but still a nice amount and you are not locked into an upgrade time. I like having the freedom to switch phones whenever I want and usually end up selling my "old" device on craigslist.

Yeah, I wished I thought it when I signed my contract, rather been told I had that option. Next time I probably do a one year contract.