What about us? The original Droid 2 owners

everstar80

Reaction score
I ask all my fellow droid 2 owners are you a bit confused and concerned by what we have learned from the forum and other websites that the world model and droid pro are upgraded droid 2 devices of our original droid 2? Will the same features be released to us in an ota update? Probably yes and no. We may get an upgrade or enhancement. But it wont have the 1.2gh processor will it? After an estimated 45 days (or less than that since the information of these phones started to come out) are we about to be pushed completely aside. Even the R2D2 is getting the same processor and it's a limited edition!

The original droid 2 was only advertised in heavy rotation for two weeks and then you may have seen it once a week on your tv. Was it because it was the worst kept secret of Motorola and Verizon this year of the release of our original droid 2 devices or were they just prototypes of these newer and faster devices and they wanted to test them out to merely to see what adjustments needed to be made? I am no conspiracy theorist but aren't these valid questions we should be asking ourselves? I love this phone but is it going to fall apart in two weeks and then get many CLNR phones before I can get a better device? I ask this out of both curiosity and concern. What do these new devices mean for us?

Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I agree to a certain extent why release droid two so soon before two seperate upgraded versions. This seems to be the luck i have though seing as i bought my ipod mini literally the day before the announcement of the ipod video (years ago i know) and that really rubbed me the wrong way. So i went into the apple store and raised hell until they gave me a full refund on my mini to go towords the video. doubt that will work in this situation but its worth a try... no matter how douchy i would feel...

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't know it seems entirely plausible that they had the droid pro sitting around waiting for responses to the droid 2 but i think another possibility is that droid 2 didn't quite meet their expectations as far as reviews so they put together the droid pro to rebrand and re hype the phone. Although that is just a shot in the dark.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You give them way too much credit for planning ahead...technology changes quickly, if you want to be safe from owning outmoded tech, you have to just stop buying any.

As a comedian I saw once said: "I'm refusing to buy anything until they promise to stop inventing new sh*t."

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You give them way too much credit for planning ahead...technology changes quickly, if you want to be safe from owning outmoded tech, you have to just stop buying any.

As a comedian I saw once said: "I'm refusing to buy anything until they promise to stop inventing new sh*t."

I totally agree thats why i think it's more likely that it was a really quick afterthought but that doesn't really make it any better to me. Essentially they announced the replacement for our phone about a month after it came out. I really don't care too much though because i have no use for the world phone function but i would like faster processor. Realistically, seeing how fast it comes out and much more super wazzoey it is will affect how erked i get.

OP
E

everstar80

Reaction score

I totally agree thats why i think it's more likely that it was a really quick afterthought but that doesn't really make it any better to me. Essentially they announced the replacement for our phone about a month after it came out. I really don't care too much though because i have no use for the world phone function but i would like faster processor. Realistically, seeing how fast it comes out and much more super wazzoey it is will affect how erked i get.

What will piss me off is if they don't release a full ota update and not just some patchwork update that at first did something but didn't make a damn bit of difference in the long run.

Pandemic187

Reaction score
I don't worry about these things. Because no matter what you get, it won't be long before it's not longer the best. It happens, and always will happen. People gotta work, don't they?

Cunha

Reaction score
What are you going to miss out on? No GSM? Big deal, you aren't going to want to pay the data fees in europe anyways, so you are better off with a 10 dollar nokia and a prepaid sim card in it if you ever travel.

1.2 ghz processor? If the D2 gets hacked fully it will be easy to overclock to that level..the processor is probably almost the same unit. 200mhz makes way more difference on paper than it doesi n real life.

I like to think that motorola isn't silly enough to water down their own market, but we'll see.

What does the D2 not do that a new device will do? The only thing I want to see is a smaller D2 or a D2 without a keyboard (and not DX sized) or a d2 with a really good keyboard instead of a "good enough" one.

The only real time to upgrade will be when the next gen 4g or whatever they want to call it network is in place. Then we will want devices that can use that equipment.

Until then, relax and enjoy your phone. I think VZW has a good lineup with the Droid 2 and the Droid X. I don't see why they would want it to be totally muddled up and confusing with a bunch of new droid devices from motorola. Customers can barely decide what to buy as it is, let alone with 2 more premium handsets from motorola.

I don't think we really need to worry.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LTE or Gingerbread... only reason I'm upgrading.... and it may not be a Moto depending on how locked down they keep their phones... because bloat ware has to go....

carriers are getting out of hand watering down Android phones.

Cunha

Reaction score
They sure are Martin.

It is one of the main drawbacks of the entire android platform. With the Iphone, there is only 1 handset and it is the premium handset. All developments for the entire platform are for that specific handset only. It will be around for a couple of years at least, which means accessory MFG's and developers see it as a worthwhile place to invest their time and money.

As the android platform expands and more and more handsets are available, more and more of them will be left wishing for updates and will be sitting around with no accessories available at all. It's a bad racket.

The droid 1 was the most popular droid by a long shot from what I can tell, but walk down any main street in a big city and find yourself a decent droid specific case. I bet you will have a tough time. You will find thousands of Iphone 3g cases though.

Motorola should really stick with a couple of premium devices and allow them to get developed rather than try to pump out mass numbers of phones until no one cares anymore. It kind of fragments the community.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cunha.... so very very true

I really would love to see Moto... and all the other manufacturers for that matter.... develop 1 or 2 handsets and stick to the design and continue developing the technology behind them.

Probably won't happen though.

....but the bloatware.... it's the carriers that are ruining 'open source'. It's too bad Google couldn't get the Nexus going with the business model they attempted. Then, for those of us who want a vanilla Android experience, we'd have somewhere to get it.

Cunha

Reaction score
Just the fact that the droid eris, only a year old is not going to be getting the current version of the android O.S. is ridiculous. What is the point of the supposed open source o.s. if the hardware still ends up being left for dead in just a year.

I liked the eris because of it's size but I don't like HTC and I knew it would not be a well supported device. Poor little guy.

People sure do a good job of making good things as bad as possible. I'd hate for the droid 1 to be the pinnacle of the entire platform and all future phones becoming more and more bogged down and worthless.

It will be like the motorola e815 and all the ruined mp3 playing internet accessing flip phones that followed it.