1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

What a crappy name

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Incredible' started by Jeepzor, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Jeepzor

Jeepzor New Member

Really....Droid incredible? I really wish they would give a kick ass phone a good name. I understand from a sales point putting droid in the name but I will be leaving it out whenever i refer to it. I can think of tons of "Incredible" remarks to make when referring to it :p
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Yeah, I think using the Droid in front of it is a selling point. If they just called it the incredible, nobody would know what they were talking about.
  3. Jeepzor

Jeepzor New Member

Yea...but It would still be Incredible!
  4. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

They probably want to get as much out of the licensing to Lucas as they can.
  5. TBolt

TBolt New Member

One can't be too surprised. VZW's entire line of Android devices are considered "Droids." It's like having a BMW 3-series, 7-series, etc -- all part of the class.

I hope VZW changes the iPhone name to iPhart or iSuck or something like that once they get it. :)
  6. kenc3dan

kenc3dan New Member

I call dibs on the idea of a really crappy Verizon TV commercial that leverages the power of the ABC show "That's Incredible!" from the 1980s.
    Cathy Lee Crosby
    John Davidson
    err...
    ...those other people.
    I'd bet they'd love to get some money in the bank.
    Are they all still alive?
    If they're dead that could be a deal-breaker.
  7. shademar

shademar New Member

They're seeking to capitalize on the huge advertising funds they've already spent on the droid. By linking the names (similarly as was done with the the Droid Eris) they're pulling what would otherwise be an unknown piece of hardware into what is a very well known and well-received family. Given the wide range of android manufacturers, this step towards the illusion on unification seems like a good idea, even if it results in some clunky names...

Also, this places a bit more focus on the OS itself, which can only be good for consumer awareness outside the gadget blog set...
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  8. kenc3dan

kenc3dan New Member

I'm glad someone agrees. I think associating with "That's Incredible!" would be a logical extension for customers. I bet it'd cost less than getting Lucasfilm to make a tie-in featuring C3PO and R2D2 as well. :icon_eek: