Wet Droid with a happy ending (so far)

sherylhs

Reaction score
While on vacation in Myrtle Beach, I was using my Droid at the beach to send videos of my 3 year old son to the Internet for my husband to see (qik is an awesome application).

Day 2, I’m getting my Droid set up to take videos, while walking along the beach. My 3 year old son took off so my attention diverted to him for only a second… I dropped my Droid, screen down in to probably 1/8 of an inch of water as the surf pulled back. Sh** – was my only thought. I picked it up, turned it off and pulled the battery. The phone water sensor was beet red, but the battery sensor was not tripped and sand was everywhere. Once up on the beach blanket, I took the phone out and let it sit in the hot sun.

After about half an hour, I took it back to where we were staying and put it in a plastic cup full of minute rice. I left it in the rice until the next day. I used one of the plastic tooth cleaner things with a small brush on one end and a pick on the other side and was able to get all the sand (and rice) out of the places it shouldn’t have been. When I finally had the courage to turn my phone on, everything seemed to work. I was elated… until the touch screen started freaking out. The haunted phone muted my husband, sent one unintelligible text message and crank called one of my friends before I decided I was going to have to just bite the bullet and buy another phone.

Found the local Verizon store and was able to replace my Droid for $225 (used someone else’s upgrade from the family plan). :p
I didn’t reinstall ALL the apps I had before; I went from 95 apps to 9. But I can honestly say I have been happily using my new Droid ever since. Trying to convince myself that two batteries and two sets of cables were at least some consolation to the two-twenty-five I just shelled out.

Yesterday, almost 2 weeks after the “ocean incident” I tried the phone again. It now works!!! I activated it last night and have been using all the features ever since… I’ve also been deleting applications I realized I will not ever use.
I’ve debated rinsing the phone with alcohol to try to make sure the salt won’t damage the phone in the future, but I really don’t want to push my luck. So after a few more days (probably a week or so just to be safe) of testing, I will be returning the new Droid I bought and save my money for when my phone really does die. I’m sure it won’t last as long as a non- swimming Droid, but honestly I always upgrade to a new phone before my old one dies anyway.

Droid does…. swim. : )

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Haha nice good that it worked out

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its tough to kill a Droid. I wonder about the rice every person that gets their Droid wet does this but I've heard that's fiction. Moot point, now you've got two Droids. Nice story. I love a happy ending.:)

OP
sherylhs

sherylhs

Reaction score
You know I wonder about the rice thing too, especially after reading the "right way" to deal with a wet droid. I think you wrote that, right?

Sounds like a suggestion for Mythbusters. lol

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know in the long run the salt water is going to eat through the tiny electronics and wiring in the device. Thankfully you were able to get an upgrade and you have a new Droid. What do you really have to lose by dousing that with alcohol, which is the best thing you could do to get the sand, salt and other things that are going to turn the components into mush? I highly recommend you doing the alcohol baptism.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL no that was written by someone far more intelligent then me. Heck I believed in the rice until I read that. I think it should be read by all Droid owners but I'll bet most read it afterwards.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its tough to kill a Droid. I wonder about the rice every person that gets their Droid wet does this but I've heard that's fiction. Moot point, now you've got two Droids. Nice story. I love a happy ending.:)

I killed one and I didn't even cause physical harm to it.

I feel horrible. :icon_ cry:

Diordna

Reaction score

I killed one and I didn't even cause physical harm to it.

I feel horrible. :icon_ cry:

Well we all know who's first on the list when the Droid apocalypse comes in 2012

:)

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Better than rice is silica packs. I washed my LG Dare for 15 minutes with soap, put it in a ziploc bag with 5 or 6 silica bags and left it for a few days. Worked like a charm.

dwagner88

Reaction score
That's awesome, but do watch out for long-term issues. I spilt a tiny amount of water on my droid's screen, and over the few weeks following this, the touchscreen stopped working slowly. Fortunately, none of the water damage indicators were tripped, so I got a warranty replacement.

OP
sherylhs

sherylhs

Reaction score
Question??

I know in the long run the salt water is going to eat through the tiny electronics and wiring in the device. Thankfully you were able to get an upgrade and you have a new Droid. What do you really have to lose by dousing that with alcohol, which is the best thing you could do to get the sand, salt and other things that are going to turn the components into mush? I highly recommend you doing the alcohol baptism.

I truly considered doing this, but honestly I am just torn.

I have a phone that seems to be working fine, but I know it will eventually corrode and die; at that point I can get a new phone. I can take the new Droid I bought back and get my $225 less $35 back. When the phone eventually dies I can either purchase a new Droid or the newest toy on the market.

OR, I can submerge my currently working phone in alcohol and hopefully rinse out any corrosive agents that may be in there. I know the phone didn't get completely soaked since the water indicator on the battery never tripped. And HOPEFULLY it will dry out and work again.

The second option really feels like I am tempting the powers that be again.

I am really interested to hear what you guys would do.

Thoughts??

R

Romple

Any electrical engineer here can tell you alcohol washes are perfectly safe for electronics (turned off of course) assuming you let it properly evaporate. I can't count how many times a day I brush or spray a circuit board with alcohol.

Granted there's more to a Droid than a circuit board that alcohol might just not play well with (glue, rubber seals, etc...) so not sure I'd personally douse the entire phone in a dish of alcohol. But electronically it shouldn't be an issue. I'm not afraid to take my phone apart and put it back together though (how I saved my winmo phone from a...freshly used... toilet boil, lol...). Took it apart and cleaned and dried the boards with IPA.... isopropyl alcohol.. not pale ale!

Last edited by a moderator:

siuc1996

Reaction score
I dropped mine in the tub while giving a bath to the little one and it kept right on working just fine. The speakerphone cut in and out for a couple of hours but then started working. No rice or anything for me. This thing is a beast.

gdubisar

Reaction score
I've had good luck with all of my Motorola phones. My Droid has been rained on twice, still works perfectly. And my RAZR? That went through the washing machine, twice...and still worked perfectly

image911

Reaction score
So - What do YOU do for an occupation...?

As I read through the posts on this and other websites, I am kind of surprised to find just how many Police, Fire and EMS workers there are! I would have expected that there were Doctors and Lawyers, too... but, they aren't as forthcoming. (Must be a HIPPA thing... sorry, inside joke!)

Anyway, as I hinted in my title: "So, what do YOU do for an occupation?"

And, a Paul Harvey to the inquiry... how do you use your DROID when at work... and with what apps/software?

Thanks for your kind consideration.

Sandy Korda,
Firefighter/EMT
Logistics Officer
Emergency Management Co-Director;
Orwell, Vermont