Went in to buy an iPhone 4s... but walked out with a Razr.

N4UPD

Reaction score
Got an email from radioshack Virgin Mobile no contract IPhone with unlimited data and text for $30 a month not sure about minutes.

billabong1030

Reaction score
I love the iPhone v Android topic. Here's my advice... Buy what you really want and don't get sold in something else. My job gives me an insider look at iPhone problems. The problems people seem to have on Android happen to iPhone owners that went in for Androids. There is no "better" between the two. Don't go to your wireless carrier to troubleshoot your device. You're just going to get frustrated. Troubleshoot your account or wireless service then politely demand manufacturer support for the device when the service is ruled out.

Wireless carriers are not trained well enough to fix your device problems properly. I don't know how many IPhones AT&T has told me needed to be set up for replacement because "we've tried everything" and something as simple as toggling the mute switch fixed the iPhone that wouldn't ring... After 4 hours and a factory restore. Buy the phone you want and contact the people that actually got trained and have the tools to fix your specific problem. You'll be a lot happier with the results

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to me! Wen't in to buy an i-phone walked out with an Android Razr Maxx. That was a $500 mistake.

I just put an end to this nearly three month nightmare. I'm breaking my contract with Verizon Wireless after something like thirteen years and I just walked out of the AT&T store with new my i-phone. I really don't know which was the bigger nightmare, trying to deal with this piece of absolute garbage called an Android Raze Maxx or having to deal with VerizonWireless, but the combination of the two was just over the top. It cost me about $275 with all the trimmingas to get the Android, and it will cost me another $330 to walk away from my contract. Then there is the better part of a months overlap between my last month with VW and my first month with AT&T, so that's another $90 to $100 down the drain. So far I'm up to about $700. At least ATT gave me $231 trade in value on the Razr Maxx (they really wanted my business, unlike Verizon Wireless) so it only cost $56 to walk out of the AT&T store. That's a total of $750 or about $500 additional dollars that VW will have ultimately have costed me.

You see, I was past 14 days when I started to notice that it was suddenly taking 10 hours to get my damn e-mails. VW tech support said that because the native software on the Droid basically sucks (pending some future update, patch or fix maybe, hopefully someday) they had me download some workaround the problem app called K9 mail which never completely really solved the problem. The second or third VW tech support technician I spoke with admitted to me that he gets about three calls a week for this same problem, but then he says he's only one of 1,500 tech guys. Do the math: they're getting 18,000 complaints about e-mail issues with the Razr every month.

Then the phone crashes all the time, so they sent me a second one which was no better and solved neither major problem. This thing crashes more than a Blackberry, and that's pretty bad. I had to reboot the damn thing five times a day. There were so many bugs and problems with this phone, like it ceased flipping the screen horizontal when you turn the phone on it's side. It worked (both the original and the replacement did) when I first got it, then it would lock in a fixed upright position. VW tech support said it was a software bug, perhaps there will be a patch someday. Then there was some green bar constantly flashing accross the top of the screen like it was downloading something, except the e-mails when they were determined not to go through, that green bar didn't ever seem to help me get my e-mails any faster or do anything for that matter. Several VW tech support people had no idea what I was talking about and seeing every day on my screen.

Then I find an article from CNNMoney dated May 3rd Verizon reps push 4G Android over iPhone - May. 3, 2012 (that's how I got the link to this blog) and says "Carriers have motives to favor some smartphones over others. Verizon and its rivals all pay much heftier up-front subsidies for the iPhone than for other devices." So the reason for switching you and I to this piece of crap was because it was in their interest not ours. VW would not let me switch to the i-phone I had come into the store in the first place to buy and take back the Android because I was past 14 days and the Motorola warrenty did not cover switching to the i-phone, so VW would not do ANYTHING for me even though I had been a loyal customer of thirteen years. They shoved the warrenty restrictions, and all their rules and regulations, and the contract I signed in my face. I told them I did not buy the phone from Motorola, I bought it from Verizon Wireless and I've otherwise been a loyal customer for thirteen years and you've never had a problem with me nor I with them. They basically told me to go jump off a cliff.

This is the short version. If I actually take the time to write out the full version if my experiences with the Android Razr Maxx and Verizon Wireless it would be three pages. I am shocked that any of you could possibly be happy with the Android Razr Maxx. After all I have written, it's not at all very user friendly and intuitive on top of all the bugs and problems. And Verizon Wireless absolutely sucks big time. ATT at least gives you 30 days to decide if you wish to keep the phone. Several tech support, supervisors and store managers at VW had told me I would not be happy with the i-phone either and it would be the same problems and issues. I've had my new i-phone for 24 hours and so far I have absolutely no complaints, problems, bugs or issues and it seems much more intuitive and user friendly.

If your still a Verizon Wireless customer I wish you lots of luck. Just don't have a problem with your new phone on day fifteen.

I don't know man... I don't think your experience is typical.

I've had my Razr Maxx for about 3 months now and have had ZERO of the problems you experienced. And I use Gmail, pop3, AND corporate email. NONE of them give me issues. I NEVER need to reboot my phone. And, I just installed ICS on it a couple of days ago, and now it performs better and faster than ever.

There is nothing inherently wrong with this phone and it's one of the top performers on the market today (both in power and sales).

jch81

Reaction score
I have the Original Droid Razr that I got in December and have had absolutely no problems. You got a bad phone or had an app that was causing a lot of your problems most likely. Havent had a bit of trouble out of my Razr and would not even think about moving back to a 3g phone. When Iphone finally does come out with a 4g phone it will be a tough decision for me to decide between them and the next greatest Android device, but right now there is no comparison. Droid Razr > Iphone

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
So if I read that first shared article correctly, the iPhone is why Verizon no longer has unlimited data. Just another reason to dislike Apple. :)

robert70

Reaction score
Cohenmark said:
Same exact thing happened to me! Wen't in to buy an i-phone walked out with an Android Razr Maxx. That was a $500 mistake.

I just put an end to this nearly three month nightmare. I'm breaking my contract with Verizon Wireless after something like thirteen years and I just walked out of the AT&T store with new my i-phone. I really don't know which was the bigger nightmare, trying to deal with this piece of absolute garbage called an Android Raze Maxx or having to deal with VerizonWireless, but the combination of the two was just over the top. It cost me about $275 with all the trimmingas to get the Android, and it will cost me another $330 to walk away from my contract. Then there is the better part of a months overlap between my last month with VW and my first month with AT&T, so that's another $90 to $100 down the drain. So far I'm up to about $700. At least ATT gave me $231 trade in value on the Razr Maxx (they really wanted my business, unlike Verizon Wireless) so it only cost $56 to walk out of the AT&T store. That's a total of $750 or about $500 additional dollars that VW will have ultimately have costed me.

You see, I was past 14 days when I started to notice that it was suddenly taking 10 hours to get my damn e-mails. VW tech support said that because the native software on the Droid basically sucks (pending some future update, patch or fix maybe, hopefully someday) they had me download some workaround the problem app called K9 mail which never completely really solved the problem. The second or third VW tech support technician I spoke with admitted to me that he gets about three calls a week for this same problem, but then he says he's only one of 1,500 tech guys. Do the math: they're getting 18,000 complaints about e-mail issues with the Razr every month.

Then the phone crashes all the time, so they sent me a second one which was no better and solved neither major problem. This thing crashes more than a Blackberry, and that's pretty bad. I had to reboot the damn thing five times a day. There were so many bugs and problems with this phone, like it ceased flipping the screen horizontal when you turn the phone on it's side. It worked (both the original and the replacement did) when I first got it, then it would lock in a fixed upright position. VW tech support said it was a software bug, perhaps there will be a patch someday. Then there was some green bar constantly flashing accross the top of the screen like it was downloading something, except the e-mails when they were determined not to go through, that green bar didn't ever seem to help me get my e-mails any faster or do anything for that matter. Several VW tech support people had no idea what I was talking about and seeing every day on my screen.

Then I find an article from CNNMoney dated May 3rd Verizon reps push 4G Android over iPhone - May. 3, 2012 (that's how I got the link to this blog) and says "Carriers have motives to favor some smartphones over others. Verizon and its rivals all pay much heftier up-front subsidies for the iPhone than for other devices." So the reason for switching you and I to this piece of crap was because it was in their interest not ours. VW would not let me switch to the i-phone I had come into the store in the first place to buy and take back the Android because I was past 14 days and the Motorola warrenty did not cover switching to the i-phone, so VW would not do ANYTHING for me even though I had been a loyal customer of thirteen years. They shoved the warrenty restrictions, and all their rules and regulations, and the contract I signed in my face. I told them I did not buy the phone from Motorola, I bought it from Verizon Wireless and I've otherwise been a loyal customer for thirteen years and you've never had a problem with me nor I with them. They basically told me to go jump off a cliff.

This is the short version. If I actually take the time to write out the full version if my experiences with the Android Razr Maxx and Verizon Wireless it would be three pages. I am shocked that any of you could possibly be happy with the Android Razr Maxx. After all I have written, it's not at all very user friendly and intuitive on top of all the bugs and problems. And Verizon Wireless absolutely sucks big time. ATT at least gives you 30 days to decide if you wish to keep the phone. Several tech support, supervisors and store managers at VW had told me I would not be happy with the i-phone either and it would be the same problems and issues. I've had my new i-phone for 24 hours and so far I have absolutely no complaints, problems, bugs or issues and it seems much more intuitive and user friendly.

If your still a Verizon Wireless customer I wish you lots of luck. Just don't have a problem with your new phone on day fifteen.

I'm going to say this as politely as possible,,your full of S***,,,if you acted anything like you sound in this post than its no wonder why you didn't get what you want, I've had no problems ever getting them to satisfy my pangs of anguish and that was after 14 days and having a ton of issues with my DX, I got upgraded to the phone I wanted,, but I'm guessing your probably one of those ppl that piss and moan about someone not giving you 10 he's worth of work when you only paid for 7 aren't ya,, and I'm sure this post will get me yelled at by the moderators but I'm nothing if not blunt.

Sent from my wicked sharp razr!

rumblee1

Reaction score
Way back I wanted an Iphone in the worst way but I wouldn't leave Verizon, especially for at&t. I'm glad I waited. Even though we have 3 macbook, an imac, 2 ipads, and 4 ipods, we have NO I phones. Android can do so much more, so much faster. My friend went from a DROID to an Iphone. Didn't realize you couldn't customize it. Didn't realize you couldn't put widget's on it. Didn't realize how much slower it was. 2 days later, he swaps it for A DROID RAZR maxx. Couldn't be Happier.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Been a Verizon customer for 13+ years myself and have experienced excellent coverage and have nothing but good things to say about them. Sure, you occasionally get the idiot customer service rep, but that happens EVERYWHERE. Verizon has the best and most reliable service in the country and I've tried them all.
It's a shame your attitude took you back to the Iphone, but it's people like you Apple made the iphone for, so perfect fit. Enjoy a lesser product and second rate carrier. :)

**tap'n**

Last edited:

Caesars

Reaction score
It sucks that we all would get different experiences on a h given Sunday, but that's the problem with dealing with actual people. Usually you will get that guy or lady who is very helpful, but sometime you may get the manager (assuming an employee could never exchange past 14 says w/o managerial approval) that just put up with th biggest **** or scammer right before you walked in.

Also from what I read on secondary sources, iPhones cost the carriers a ton o money, so I can see why they wouldn't easily bend the rules to upgrade you. Go hf with your AT&T iPhone :)

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
Cohenmark said:

That's sucks That you are stuck with that iPhone now. I have no problems with the Razr at all except when I was waiting on ICS. ICS makes this phone a completely different beast that I'm sure you would've loved. Oh well more 4G for me then.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow, its too bad that he didn't know what an awesome phone was!!!

I've got the exact opposite story.. I recently bought an ipad3 and logic pro, with the iRig and all the other stuff... I own a mustang 4 fender amp, so I already had access to some recording software.. but my ipad has gone in for repairs... it freezes... and logic is all I've got on it really... its a 64 gig... depressing...

So now that we see that we all have DIFFERENT experiences.... and he's got his iphone..he should be happy... :rolleyes:

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Saryon

Reaction score

Stop throwing your phone in the toilet...

My wife has the maxx and is TERRIBLE about the way she treats such devices. She burns thu the entire battery in a 12 hour period. She LOVES her phone.

But I guess trolls will be trolls :p

mokes

Reaction score
Something is wrong in your life when you can have 3 pages worth of phone troubles, lol. You MAY and this is just an idea....but you MAY want to get out a bit more and off the phone/net a little. dancedroid