Went in to buy an iPhone 4s... but walked out with a Razr.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
All my Verizon purchase experiences have been pretty simple. I've never had someone try to sell me on a phone or anything. I walk in and wait for my turn. The rep asks how he can help me and I tell him what I want. He doesn't question my decision he just says OK and runs to get the phone and the 40 accessories he'll try to sell me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

geoff5093

Reaction score
I was in a similar boat with the apps, I had an iPhone 3G before switching to my first Android. At first a lot of the apps I used on the iPhone weren't available on Android, or so I thought, once you look around on the Android Market you find there are several replacements for any one app on iOS. After using Android for a while I took a look at the app store and at least 1/3rd the apps I use now aren't even available on iOS.

Another note, many of the apps that cost $0.99 on the app store are free on Android!

penut_gallery

Reaction score
So I just recently got rid of my iPhone 4s for a DROID RAZR and Friday I'm going g back to Verizon and getting a iPhone 4s. I always run back to my iPhone I can count on my iPhone more than this RAZR. I'm so use to ios. The RAZR is cool and all but I will always be an apple fan. I'm not hating on android I think there stuff is cool and there coming up but there still not close to how the iPhone is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

no offence but it sounds like u got frightened by how amazing and awesome droids are and now running back to the familiar iPhone. u cant even compare an android and iPhone. it wouldnt be fair to the iPhone. have u seen ur RZR? did u play with it? talk to it? let it open up a whole new world for u?
dont give up so quickly. u will forget iPhone even exists after a u become friends with ur droid.
remember the droid from Star Wars? he was advanced for his time, and had a name, R2D2 :)
i call mine "Andrew" ...Android-Andrew...;)
cause hes more than just a phone...cant keep calling him "phone"
just give ur droid a chance
explore the possibilities, whatever iPhone cant do(which is alot) comes naturally to droids

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
To me the shocking thing isn't that several reps prefer the RAZR (agree with the above poster), the shocking thing is that they bothered to "sell" you on any phone. I find it just short of amazing that you go into 3 stores to buy an IPhone and any rep bothers to even show you the Android phones.

It could be that VZW is, understandably, just pushing LTE. Which means 4G phones. Which the IPhone isn't.
I_think_ it's because the carriers bottom line is impacted because of Apple's demands. Yes they pick up subscriptions, but at what cost is this coming to them in the long run. Sprint has felt the "negative" impact of carrying the iPhone and are evaluating what the actual cost to benefit really is. As you know a German (I think it was a german carrier) carrier told them to kick rocks. It wasn't worth it to them. I don't think it's just simple math as some people think it is.

Perhaps it's just simply because the employees are actually seeing that the RAZR really is just a "better" phone. Just my thoughts.....

nikecar

Reaction score
My stepfather wanted my sister to leave Tmo to ATT, which only he has, everyone else in teh family is on VZW. She called from the ATT store asking which to get, the iP4s or the Samsung GSII. I told her the Galaxy was a superior phone, but that she needed to go to VZW and check out the phones first, and told her to look at the Razr and the GN.

She called me back later on telling me she's seen the light and got a Razr back with the double data promo.

Zandar

Reaction score
Android Market hit over 500,000 apps last October. If you can't find what you need with 500,000 apps, you're simply not looking hard enough.

The advantages of Android over iOS are significant and many. The specific advantages of the RAZR over the iPhone 4S are at least as many. Here's my short, off the top of my head list:

Better Screen
The iPhone 4S has the same screen as the iPhone 4: a 3.5" IPS LCD screen made by LG. The RAZR uses a newer, better tech: sAMOLED. Basically, think of it like the difference between an LCD TV and an LED TV, because that's exactly what it is. The RAZR is not only 4.3" to the iPhone's 3.5" (night and day), but has more vivid colours and darker blacks. Watch Netflix on both and you be the judge.

Cooler Form Factor
Glass back and metal sides? A little "late 90s cool," don't you think? Despite it's 4.3" screen size, the RAZR disappears into my pocket due to it's 7.1mm thinness. No, seriously; I have to check to make sure it's still there half the time.

4G LTE
4G can suck battery life; that's true. So just turn it off when you're not using it. When you are using it, expect speeds from 5-10x faster than 3G. iPhone 5 may have the newer LTE chip that saps less battery (along with everyone else, including Moto), but for right now they won't even give you the option. RAZR has 3G only for battery life, 4G when you want the latest, next-gen mobile speed. I don't know about you, but I can manage my device all by myself and I don't need Daddy Apple slapping my hand away "for my own good." Check out this app (free) for an easy shortcut to the menu for switching modes:
https://market.android.com/details?...NvbS53bWJhLmFuZHJvaWQudG9nZ2xlNGdmb3JyYXpyIl0.

Better Radios
Motorola invented the cell phone and still makes the best reception devices. iPhone uses a Qualcomm radio, like Moto, but Moto also uses their own proprietary ones so you get a nice edge.

Expandable Memory
Self explanatory, but I'll elaborate anyway. 16GB iPhone 4S: $199. 16GB RAZR: $199. Bump your iPhone up to 32GB: $100 more (and you must do it when you purchase only). Bump your RAZR up to 48GB? $30. Do it whenever. Bump your RAZR up to 80GB? ~$120. iPhone can't even do that. Their most is 64GB for $200 more (again, you must make this decision when you purchase).

Android OS
Widgets, live wallpapers, homescreen replacements, Swype, other keyboard options, app theming; the list goes on and on. Android is the modern OS. iOS is a UI from a 2002 Nokia dumphone. True story.

Let's not even start on who started the patent war lawsuits and is trying to stifle all competition, thinking they have the sole rights to a capacitive, touchscreen phone with a rectangle screen. (That would be Apple, by the way.) This list of Android advantages could go on all day.

Still not convinced? Then maybe you ought to get an iPhone. Here are its advantages:

Better GPU
If you do a lot of mobile gaming, the iPhone 4S has a slightly better GPU. Of course, the RAZR has the better processor and clock speed, so I doubt you could tell the difference; but it'll make you feel better about having to cover your iPhone in a case because the fragile back-glass shattered from a piece of sand in your pocket.

Looks Better to Fellow Hipsters
Have trendy friends who are really superficial and judge you by the gadgets you own (though not by the gadget's worth; just it's "cool factor")? The iPhone is the phone for you! Specs don' matter when it comes to impressing people whose opinions ought not matter in the first place.

That's all of 'em.

Last edited:

Droidram56

Reaction score
The iPhone 5 had better have LTE and a bigger screen or it will lose out to Android devices. Primary reasons why I went with the Bionic when I upgraded, rather than waiting for the 4s.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mcsoul

Reaction score
The iPhone 5 had better have LTE and a bigger screen or it will lose out to Android devices. Primary reasons why I went with the Bionic when I upgraded, rather than waiting for the 4s.

and it better be out soon.

OP
P

PapaDeuce

Reaction score
Android Market has close to 300,000 apps. I mean, really. How many do you need? I got the original DROID on the advice of our IT expert. He said back then that the Android os would be the #1 operating system within 5 years. Well, it only took 3. Android, faster, better built, total customization. Iphone, NOT. And this coming from a household that uses only macs. But never an Iphone.

It's not how many apps, but the ones I use and love.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Congrats on the Razr & I hope you enjoy it! But in the end, you have to choose what fits you best and functions/ performs like you want...

Redbeaver

Reaction score
fun fact:

i was looking between the 2 phones too. but i picked RAZR coz it has bigger screen, friendlier market, more customizations, faster CPU, and thinner. and prettier too. true story. i played around a bit with both in costco.

the next day i stopped by a different costco and they had a big sign "NEWEST BLACKBERRY!"..... so i thought, while waiting for my wife to pick up some beef, let me see what the fuzz is all about. i mean, last time i tried BB was 4-yr ago, and never saw the touchscreen (Torch?) version. so who knows, right?

wrong. first i tried torch. smaller screen. clunky size. slow performance. ugly UI. ugh. then tried their latest n greatest, the 9900..... even smaller... err... can't even call that small. TINY screen. same ugly UI. ugly Maps app. small market. bulky design and heavy.
though i have to say, typing on a real keyboard can be a little more comfortable. i do less mistakes.

morale of the story: Apple and Android should stop fighting over which has better, nicer, smoother, prettier phones.

...ur gonna make BB feels worse.

nikecar

Reaction score
VZW should just drop the iPhone. There were plenty of people that was signed up on the carrier pre-iPhone, and there will be a lot more afterwards. Use the money you are saving to get better phones and invest in better coverage/features (haha) than worrying about the apple fans.

km75

Reaction score
Hulu is already available in the market. It on my bionic, droid 3 and droid 2. The razr is relatively new so its just a matter of the hulu app developers updating the hulu app to make it compatible with the razr. When netflix first came to android and hulu for that matter the apps were only compatible with a handful of phones. Give it time i would bet hulu will be compatible with the razr at some point. In the mean time for your hulu fix try 'video flash browser' in the market.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk