WENT in for the DNA ..then went out and...

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
...ordered the S$4 32g.

AFTER really handling both devices and looking at long term future of the DNA ..and with S4 getting some upgrade attention, from Samsung, made the switch.

Soldered Battery and no SD . For a 2 year relationship, A deal breaker ..and that Screen on the 4 is really easy on her (wife's) eyes.

I could think of a worse way to spend an extra 50 bucks.

Ships 7-9

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
...ordered the S$4 32g.

AFTER really handling both devices and looking at long term future of the DNA ..and with S4 getting some upgrade attention, from Samsung, made the switch.

Soldered Battery and no SD . For a 2 year relationship, A deal breaker ..and that Screen on the 4 is really easy on her (wife's) eyes.

Ships 7-9
You made a wise choice. :) The S4 is beautiful.

-Matt

OP
BOBD1950

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
Thanx...time and My Bride's daily usage will be the ultimate answer. Also, getting that vile CandyCrush to run smooth and not freeze up/ on her old D3 was getting old.
I can see disabling alot of useless nonsense before she ends up really freaking out during the learning curve.

I also ordeted a new SIM card (4g) compatible w/the S4..did not think that xfering the sim from the 3g D3 would be a good idea. (?)

Last edited:

wcjeep

Reaction score
HTC recently announced no more updates for a recent phone. I think it's life span was only 15months? Company history is one reason to buy/not buy.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got my two new S4's yesterday. One is the S4 Active (which is ugly and has lower screen quality) and regular S4. I love the S4 now. I left the DNA to go to the S4. The DNA was a great phone, but side-by-side I could see a huge difference in the screen brightness, with the S4 being better.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I went in expecting to walk out with a Lumia 928 for at least a trial run. After 20min handling one and using it I couldn't see myself using it for the next 2yrs so I handed it back to the rep and said, "I'll take the s4 in black please". I haven't put it down since now because it needs it's second recharge of the day:p

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You actually considered a WinMO phone? Windows doesn't work right on computers, it has to be 10x worse on phones. :p

I went in expecting to walk out with a Lumia 928 for at least a trial run. After 20min handling one and using it I couldn't see myself using it for the next 2yrs so I handed it back to the rep and said, "I'll take the s4 in black please". I haven't put it down since now because it needs it's second recharge of the day:p

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You actually considered a WinMO phone? Windows doesn't work right on computers, it has to be 10x worse on phones. :p
Actually I thought it was a really solid phone, just not what I want and what works for me right now. In 2yrs when their ecosystem is more established I'll consider it again, but overall I was fairly impressed with it considering what you get and how far they've come. The OS was super smooth on what would be "last generation" specs, so that really impressed me. There's obviously some things I missed in those 20min I had it in my hands, but I see a bright future for WinMo if they keep up this kinda work.

We all had to jump ship to Android at some point and I pretty much did with the OG Droid. It's always fun to see an OS grow, but at this point in time, I want/need all my things to work near flawlessly and only Android could provide that right now. Maybe down the road when I get a PC with Win8 on it, maybe then a Windows phone would make more sense, for now I'm sticking to what I know and am comfortable with, Android.

And I know where they started, I was rockin an HTC Tilt for a good year and a half. That was definitely less friendly of a user experience, thinking back to it I don't get how they got away with such a complicated OS. If they grow as fast and as much as Android, then I think we can expect better things from all OS across the board.

jtcsifl

Reaction score
I had a DNA for a month but decided to exchange it for the S4 & haven't looked back. The DNA was ok, nice screen but it was a good bit heavier & without the SD & removable battery. The S4 isn't otherworldly better just better. I can say that I don't see why there's been so much complaining about Sense or Touchwiz. Neither seemed to be all that cumbersome. I had had nothing but Moto OG, X, RAZR before these 2. I'm not a "power user" so maybe that has something to do with it. I am a phone enthusiast, I like to know what the latest & greatest is along with what's coming. I tell most of my friends these days to find one they like with an HD screen & go with it. I don't think the typical smartphone user could go wrong with an S4, DNA, One, Note II or the much hated (here) iP5. They've gotten so good that shape & appearance preference is all to really consider.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a DNA for a month but decided to exchange it for the S4 & haven't looked back. The DNA was ok, nice screen but it was a good bit heavier & without the SD & removable battery. The S4 isn't otherworldly better just better. I can say that I don't see why there's been so much complaining about Sense or Touchwiz. Neither seemed to be all that cumbersome. I had had nothing but Moto OG, X, RAZR before these 2. I'm not a "power user" so maybe that has something to do with it. I am a phone enthusiast, I like to know what the latest & greatest is along with what's coming. I tell most of my friends these days to find one they like with an HD screen & go with it. I don't think the typical smartphone user could go wrong with an S4, DNA, One, Note II or the much hated (here) iP5. They've gotten so good that shape & appearance preference is all to really consider.

Agreed, I think that the an HD screen is a must in 2013! The DNA was my first HD screen, and then the S4 looks even better!

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I also ordeted a new SIM card (4g) compatible w/the S4..did not think that xfering the sim from the 3g D3 would be a good idea. (?)

So, the SIM in the D3 is for 3G international GSM use. Not compatible with 4G at all. So no, it would not have been a good idea. No harm from it, but you wouldn't have a usable phone.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, the SIM in the D3 is for 3G international GSM use. Not compatible with 4G at all. So no, it would not have been a good idea. No harm from it, but you wouldn't have a usable phone.

Also, Verizon is slowly starting to push and mandate NFC SIMs. Your new one should be an NFC SIM, the old one likely was not.

jstwondrng

Reaction score
...ordered the S$4 32g.

Ships 7-9

Good purchase! I've had my phone for over a month and I'm overly thrilled with it! Congrats :)

J

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Also, Verizon is slowly starting to push and mandate NFC SIMs. Your new one should be an NFC SIM, the old one likely was not.

Doesn't the S4 require an NFC SIM to operate properly? Or can it use a regular SIM? I thought it had to have an NFC SIM.