Went from iphone to droid, your thoughts?

Eternal

Reaction score
Ok, I have had a serious case of iphone envy for a long time now, and am getting ready to just break down and get an iphone and just use it with wifi since I’m not an att or tmobile customer, just to enjoy all the cool apps. Thus, I may end up with both since I need a new phone on verizon. I’m a little concerned though, because I bought the stupid lg Voyager when it was verizons very bestest phone and have had nothing but trouble with it, hate it in fact, almost left verizon a few times because of it, had to have it replaced 5 times but don’t get me started. Anyway, I was wondering, seriously, how many people here maybe used to have an iphone, and att or tmobile, and now have verizon and a droid as to their thoughts on both. I have friends on tmobile and att and I only have trouble when I talk to them. When I’m talking to someone on verizon or a landline, no trouble and so I really think it’s true that the verizon service is far superior.
I’ve been reading the androlib comments on apps for the droid though and most of them are not very impressive, seems like no matter how great the droid is compared to other phones, compared to the iphone, it still doesn’t measure up.
So, would any of you mind sharing your iphone vs. droid thoughts who have actually had both? I am interested in silly things like that stupid cube runner game, silly maybe but it’s a fun game. I’m not really into gaming but every time I get my grubby little paws on someones iphone, suddenly, I’m a gamer. I like some of the racing games too, and now there is a kindle ebook reader for the iphone, and better music composition apps, multitouch for the piano app, etc.
I want to have that much fun with my droid too.
Another concern, is what happens in 6 months when verizon comes out wit the next better thing than the droid? And we are all stuck, just like I was stuck with my stupid voyager L
Should I get a droid? Or just get an iphone for wifi fun, keep my voyager for phone calls, and wait to see what comes out next?
A lot of questions I know.
I’m not indecisive, I’m just stubborn I guess. I know exactly what I want (which is an iphone but on Verizon) it’s just not available so I’m trying to pick the next best choice.
All thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks for reading.

oh and ps, I hope this is not against the rules here but if you have an iphone 2g 16gb in good condition (no scratches on the screen) that you no longer need, I might be interested in buying it from you :)
Best wishes,

~E

jsprings

Reaction score
Just get and IPod Touch. It's the iPhone with out the phone part.

I still like my Droid better that my Touch and it's got the phone part.

hobby31

Reaction score
I used to be on tmobile for 8 years. My last 3 phones were: blackberry curve 8320, tmobile g1, and a jailbroken iphone 2g i used on tmobile. I liked the iphone but it didn't have 3g capabilities. The g1 had 3g but not in my area. I really liked the android operating system as I use linux destops at home and love the "open source" of it. To me, the iphone is too restrictive. On the 2g, there is no MMS capibility unless you jailbreak it. No video recording-unless you jailbreak it. No customization-unless you jailbreak it. The dealbreaker for me was when I bought a pair of stereo bluetooth headphones and they would not work on the iphone but would on my g1. My brother in law recently got an iphone 3g and it will not work with my headphones. I've google and learned that only the iphone 3gs has the stereo bluetooth capibilities. Also the iphone 2g has no gps built in. I bought a gps adapter and it wouldn't work on the iphone. Again, iphone is too restrictive. So,....

Iphone 2g: great multimedia experience but:
--no gps
--no stereo bluetooth
--call quality sucks
--can't customize
--no 3g
--no MMS
--no video recording
--have to jailbreak it to do anything interesting

So, the g1 did everything but was slow and very quirky. As soon as I heard about the droid, i left tmobile and joined verizon. Now, tmobile had excellent customer service but I gave it up to get the droid. I love the droid. For me, it's worked better than the iphone 2g. yeah it's had some hiccups but it's a new phone and will improve. The iphone was the same way when it first came out. So,

Droid: everything just works
--highly customizable
--ability to change storage space without having the change the whole device. A 32 gb micro sd should be available soon.
--navigation
--I know the multimedia lacks but it should improve soon as more developers get involved

Anyway, getting long winded so, I love the droid and apple couldn't give me a 3gs right now.

modified

Reaction score
Hehe, seems like you and me are the same exact person.

I too came from the now dreaded voyager, and i experienced loads of problems with it. I also happen to own an iPod touch and it's great. However, you are interested in an iPhone. I did get the droid and i will try to explain which unit is better for what as best as i can.

The iPod touch, which is the exact same thing as the iPhone, without the actual phone is great. Let me tell you right off the bat that the android applications cannot compare to the apple store, for now anyways. Android is a brand new OS and i do think that it will evolve into what the apple store is today. However, for the time being, the games are like comparing a game-boy color to a PSP. They are much better and more refined.

The music player is also better on the iPod and iPhone. It is easier to use and has a better interface. But i am sure a software update can better the droid music player.

Now, let's discuss the screens. When i align my ipod to my droid i am amazed at how much better the droid screen is. It is amazing, enough said.

What i always hated about the iUnits is that they could not multitask, apart from using the music player with other apps. The droid multitasks flawlessly and smoothly. It's like a dream come true for me. I did not have to root the droid like i jailbroke the ipod to unlock it's full capacity. It's all open source and very free to use. Granted, it is not as intuitive as the ipod, but it is pretty simple after an hour or two with it.

So is my list of pro's and con's to both devices

:motdroidvert:Droid:motdroidvert::

PROS:
Screen,Screen,Screen
Multitasking
Verizon Coverage
Physical Keyboard

CONS:
App Market (will improve over time)
Camera (could be better, but will be improved with updates)

:iphone:iPhone:iphone::

PROS:
App Store (better apps)
Better touch screen (imho)

CONS:
AT&T
No multitasking
Needs to be jailbroken (even though this is very easy to do)
No physical keyboard

If you like games, but would sacrifice the coverage, go iPhone.

If you like to talk/browse the web and text get the Droid.

I went Droid.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I'm a former iPhone user, forced to switch because I moved to a place where AT&T has dismal coverage. I've had the Droid for about 6 weeks and love it. Although there are more apps for the iPhone, this will change over time. In general, I think the apps for the iPhone are more polished but this is a double edged sword. They are more polished because Apple must approve them but because Apple must approve them new apps are slower to get to market and must fit whatever "image" Apple thinks the phone (and by inference, Apple) should have. Personally, I'll take a few rough edges in favor of a more open environment. Also, if I download an app. and don't like it, I can always uninstall and get my money back if it's a paid app.

OP
E

Eternal

Reaction score
Why is your Droid better than your ipod Touch?

Just get and IPod Touch. It's the iPhone with out the phone part.

I still like my Droid better that my Touch and it's got the phone part.

Thank you for your response. Most curious, Why do you like your Droid better than your Touch??

I would rather have an iphone than an ipod touch because the touch does not have a microphone so you can't use certain apps like the flute, or to record notes, etc, also can not experiment with voip calls, skype etc via wifi. Also doesn't have a camera.

Thanks again, hoping to learn why you like ipod touch better than droid :)

OP
E

Eternal

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses, hoping people will continue to offer their input.
I am a bit of a geek, have both Mac and PC and use both for different things.
I think I will get an iphone (without a contract) and just use it as a little pocket computer/game device just to play the silly games I want to play, and read ebooks, and download all the silly apps I've been missing out on for a long time.
I will check out the droid again at the store and most likely get that as well as I'm due to renew my contract with verizon anyway, so I will have far too many devices in my pockets, iphone, droid, ipod (classic) etc.
Ugh.
I just keep telling myself though, (and I did this two years ago and was wrong) that this is the last time because soon enough, there will be no more cell contracts because the country will have gone all wireless (thanks to google perhaps but not if they are working with verizon <sigh>).
I just dont want to get a droid, with a shiny new 2 year contract, and then verizon either comes out with an even nicer model than the current one, more refined etc, or, they finally make a deal with apple.
Decisions decisions...
you all should have seen me trying to choose a digital camera...
oh yes, can add that to my list of devices in my pocket/purse <sigh>
Good thing I'm not a guy... would have run out of pockets by now.
Even still... all these electronics add a lot of weight to a shoulder bag.

modified

Reaction score
I like droid better than the iphone because of the physical keyboard, and a much better service, which means faster and better internet.

I like the ipod/iphone for music and applications, like games. Overall, since my budget is limited I went with the droid because I believe that the apps will get better and the music player may eventually get an update as well.