Went Back to Stock

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hook probably knows more than I, I never used Droidmod and didn't even start rooting until 2.1 was released, but I THINK this will work for you as well:

edit: did you mean return to stock?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
once you go DarkEdge/CM, you never go back.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

tabraha

Reaction score
I really want to stay stock but WiFi tether is big to me. I'm happy with the stock droid with the latest OS but I BT tethered on my old curve very frequently and would really like to move up to the wifi tether capabilities that AFAIK is only achievable by rooting. :(

Just root it without putting ROMs or anything then. Not changing anything by just doing that really.

OK you talked me into it. Off to the subforum!dancedroid

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really want to stay stock but WiFi tether is big to me. I'm happy with the stock droid with the latest OS but I BT tethered on my old curve very frequently and would really like to move up to the wifi tether capabilities that AFAIK is only achievable by rooting. :(

Just root it without putting ROMs or anything then. Not changing anything by just doing that really.

OK you talked me into it. Off to the subforum!dancedroid

if you're a linux user, imagine not being able to use root... no su or sudo... such a limited experience, IMO

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I like stock which is why I am not running a rom. But being rooted offers apps and features I can not get with an unrooted phone. I am running a stock 2.1 that is rooted not only for o/c but for the wifi tethering apps, the ability to use spare parts, which really improve your phone performance. You can switch transition speed from normal to fast and that alone add speed to your device.
I am tired of roms that just f/c (not saying all roms do) so I just rooted and left it at stock, added chevys kernel, and spare parts. At 800 it runs smooth, cool, and fast.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like stock which is why I am not running a rom. But being rooted offers apps and features I can not get with an unrooted phone. I am running a stock 2.1 that is rooted not only for o/c but for the wifi tethering apps, the ability to use spare parts, which really improve your phone performance. You can switch transition speed from normal to fast and that alone add speed to your device.
I am tired of roms that just f/c (not saying all roms do) so I just rooted and left it at stock, added chevys kernel, and spare parts. At 800 it runs smooth, cool, and fast.

I didn't think spare parts required root?

nateccnn

Reaction score
HAHA! Yeah...I posted a thread a couple months ago saying I went back to stock too. I thought I was happy.

As someone above said...we have choices and that is the neatest part. Like Pilotcharles...I finally found nivardia by rooting a stock rom. No roms to flash. But I get access to features like OC (conservative 800 and my phone does not get hot)...wifi tether...various apps that require root. But I also think the phone was perfectly sevicable when it was not rooted. I used USB tether instead of WiFi...whoopdidoo! Regardless of root or not...this phone is pretty darned cool.

Nate

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
HAHA! Yeah...I posted a thread a couple months ago saying I went back to stock too. I thought I was happy.

As someone above said...we have choices and that is the neatest part. Like Pilotcharles...I finally found nivardia by rooting a stock rom. No roms to flash. But I get access to features like OC (conservative 800 and my phone does not get hot)...wifi tether...various apps that require root. But I also think the phone was perfectly sevicable when it was not rooted. I used USB tether instead of WiFi...whoopdidoo! Regardless of root or not...this phone is pretty darned cool.

Nate
nate
how are you liking adamz kernels

whether you root or not is your choice. Not gonna be a fanboy and tell everyone to root. Honestly, even though every one is capable to root, not every one should. If you do not know what you are doing and you going to rush with out reading, stay stock. If you do not care about all those features and you just like the device the way it is, then stock is for you.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Isn't it great how many different choices we have with this wonderful device????? Rooting is not for everyone, yes if you root and flash a rom you have some maintenance required. And if you are like me and change the look of your phone often and want all the different bling then consider rooting. HOWEVER, before you do please read, read, read. Your best weapon is knowledge. Understand what you are doing, how you are doing it and how to undo it. Then make your decisions.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hookbill and All, What is the best way to return from DroidMod 1.0 to stock? Is there a video or detailed directions that you would recommend? If it is not spelled out in complete detail, I often have trouble. Thanks!

Withj Droidmod it's very simple. You just use DMupdater, select return to stock and before you can say goodbye root it's done.

OP
F

FXRS

Reaction score
Well wasn't trying to start an arguement and glad it didn't go that way. :)

I like the cool looks and different choices of looks you can have with custom roms but you can pretty much do the same with stock. Outside the top menu bar and the slide to unlock you are sort of stuck with. I've been running Linux for about 10 yrs now and for the longest time I was really into how much you can change stuff up to make it look neat. Have cool little things on the desktop, but as time went on it sort of faded. Now I'm lucky if I change anything from the stock install of a linux system. Wonder if I'm getting old and feeble. lol