Went Back to Stock

FXRS

Reaction score
Went back to stock and loving it.

No more worries on if something happens and hoping I can get it back to stock to take it back to the store
No more worrying about what rom to load as far as looks, performance, what does and doesn't work.
Believe it or not a heck of a lot better battery life. at 60% at the end of the work day compared to 30%. Yes I've used several different roms/kernels.
All around a lot more relaxing. For me any ways. lol

alm0614

Reaction score
I've considered it..the reasons I dont go back to stock are:
-WIFI Tether(biggest one)
-Theming(i hate the stock white bar and lock/unlock screen)
-access to features stock users dont have(Spare parts etc.)

Droids

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't care for the stock theme, I just really like the smoked glass look. I've only used a half dozen ROMs and kernels, I prefer to find something other than stock that I like and stay with it for a couple months. Much as I love the customizations we can do with root, I'd drive myself crazy trying all the ROMs out there, and then trying to figure out what's causing a force close, or why my battery is draining so fast. I do very much like Root Explorer.

Currently still running Cyanogen 5.0.6.2 but will switch this weekend to 5.0.7.1 and the latest smoked glass them for it, along with Launcher Pro.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with stock other than some colors and the lack of overclocking, and future versions of Android will make loading custom ROM's much more difficult if not impossible, but at least let me theme it one way or another. Oh, and wireless tether for those once in a while needs. And Root Explorer. And SetCPU, And... well at least let me root the damn thing.

JCo352

Reaction score
I've thought about going back to stock, but I just hate the way stock looks.

Diordna

Reaction score
I don't see a point. Especially with Bugless Beast V1.1, supposably it has a real good battery life. And going to stock would be to plain, I want to do all these things to it and get more than my moneys worth at the end of the month.

Plus worrying about ruining your phone while doing all these is not really an excuse, c'mon. It's easy.

No more worrying about what rom to load as far as looks, performance, what does and doesn't work

-That seems like a bad thing for you. It's like me saying "No more worrying about my good looks and athletic ability, because now I'm fat and ugly"

..lol

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't really see the point in rooting. I've rooted, and basically it didn't give me the fuzzy warms. It didn't feel right, Droid ran hotter (not dangerously) and my battery was cut down considerably and yes, I used Set CPU and the other app that is suppose to help Droid manage apps. It didn't help at all.

Now I admit I only used Droidmod and there are probably better ROMS out there but I feel my Droid runs just fine on stock 2.1. Doesn't violate my warranty, I haven't had one reset since I installed it. For me, notice I said for me, it does the job just fine.

So that's why I went back to stock and will stay there.

tabraha

Reaction score
I really want to stay stock but WiFi tether is big to me. I'm happy with the stock droid with the latest OS but I BT tethered on my old curve very frequently and would really like to move up to the wifi tether capabilities that AFAIK is only achievable by rooting. :(

Diordna

Reaction score
I really want to stay stock but WiFi tether is big to me. I'm happy with the stock droid with the latest OS but I BT tethered on my old curve very frequently and would really like to move up to the wifi tether capabilities that AFAIK is only achievable by rooting. :(

Just root it without putting ROMs or anything then. Not changing anything by just doing that really.

Jus Cruisin

Reaction score
Rooted or not, at least we have choices!!!! "Different strokes for different folks"

warrior21

Reaction score
Went back to stock and loving it.

No more worries on if something happens and hoping I can get it back to stock to take it back to the store
No more worrying about what rom to load as far as looks, performance, what does and doesn't work.
Believe it or not a heck of a lot better battery life. at 60% at the end of the work day compared to 30%. Yes I've used several different roms/kernels.
All around a lot more relaxing. For me any ways. lol
The whole point is to be happy with your phone so I'm sure you made the right decision. Rooting is not for everyone and it does come with a risk and time factor even if people don't admit it. Stock or rooted, the droid is an amazing device.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Too true. While I have yet to root, depending on us getting tethering in froyo will make the decision for me.

No one has to do anything once rooted, but you can stay stock, add tethering, and not even OC ...

Free country here.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've rooted stock with no overclock or anything. I've tried about every combo of rom/kernel out there, among the more popular ones anyway, and the speed difference is neglible compared with stock (I don't run crazy cpu intense apps though). With spare parts enabling speedy animations, or shutting off animations completely, plus ADW or Launcher Pro now available to stock, stock feels pretty quick and snappy.

But rooting allows me to use certain programs that I'm accustomed to now... like Menu Unlock (hit the menu button instead of slide to unlock), Leds Hack (customize how the menu and led lights work, especially useful when docked at night!), Jitter (only used occasionally, but seems to work well on rooted stock), Wavesecure (rooted, locks down your phone better), and Titanium or MyBackup Pro (+data).

As already said, though, the choice is the main thing, and different strokes!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see a point. Especially with Bugless Beast V1.1, supposably it has a real good battery life. And going to stock would be to plain, I want to do all these things to it and get more than my moneys worth at the end of the month.

Plus worrying about ruining your phone while doing all these is not really an excuse, c'mon. It's easy.

No more worrying about what rom to load as far as looks, performance, what does and doesn't work
-That seems like a bad thing for you. It's like me saying "No more worrying about my good looks and athletic ability, because now I'm fat and ugly"

..lol

I totally get what he's saying... 1) stock helps eliminate the itch to always want to try a different look just b/c it's a different look (it is a phone afterall :)), and 2) You find a ROM out there where there's not at least ONE random thing wrong that's part of the functionality of the phone out of the box, and I'll never say a word about it again (yes, even on BB :))

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Hookbill and All, What is the best way to return from DroidMod 1.0 to stock? Is there a video or detailed directions that you would recommend? If it is not spelled out in complete detail, I often have trouble. Thanks!

Last edited: