Well It Has Finally Happened

FernBch

Reaction score
Well, it's finally happened. Big Red has made me angry for the last time. Tried to get a line added to my account for my Mom so she can get rid of her prepaid phone. VZW wants me to add data and a few other features that I don't want. I have certain features on my current account, but online they're not. I called and they said to choose them online and I told them those settings are not available. I was told to choose the $10 data plan and it could be. Hanged back later. The two lines in question don't have data enabled (kids ran the bill through the roof too many times). They also couldn't sell me a CPO over the phone. They make it so difficult for their customers to do anything. So I'm going to leave VZW. I love my DX and have spent a good bit of time rooting, rom-ing, and theme-ing but I can't take it anymore. I have found some nice phones, more features, and the same coverage elsewhere, all for less $$. I guess the next device I'm going to root, rom, and theme is going to be an HTC EVO 4G. It has been so much fun here and I have to thank everyone here at DF for everything. You are an awesome bunch and you will be missed.

To Big Red, I have had it.

Into the VorteX

Last edited:
OP
FernBch

FernBch

Reaction score
I made another discovery, too.

Too bad I can't flash my DX to work with sprint. I've done some some reading on different phones and reviews and now I'm not so sure about the EVO Design 4G. It seems to have some nice features, but it lacks in battery life. There also doesn't seem to be anything out there as far a customizations go (no roms, themes, etc). The Moto Photon and Samsung Galaxy S II (Epic 4G Touch) look nice though. Anyone heard anything about them?

Into The VorteX

jev

Reaction score
I just retired my original Droid and jumped to Sprint. I got the $.01 deal on Amazon @ black Friday and got an HTC EVO 3d, Motorola Photon, Nexus S 4g, and the Epic Touch 4g. The daughter took the HTC, my son took the Photon, my wife has the Nexus, and I took the Epic. After a few days playing around with all of them, I sent the Epic back and swapped it for another Photon. The reason for the swap was mainly for 2 reasons. First, I experienced the loss of signal that many have documented on the Epic. I would be in the same spot in my house and one minute have a signal then it would go to roaming. The Photon has a much better radio in it and the signal strength is great. Secondly, I just liked the feel and look of the Photon more. The Epic is thin and feels very fragile. I'm sure it's fine, but the Photon just feels more Droidish. The Epics screen is better, as is the camera and it has the notification pulldown toggles which I miss, but other than that I made the right decision for me. The bootloader is locked on the Photon, but there is an unlock available. I rooted mine within 2 hrs of getting it so I could remove some bloat. I have yet to unlock mine because the ROMs that are out now are not as stable as I would like to feel comfortable using. As of now, i don't really see the need because it's a great phone out of the box. And with jrummy's ROM Toolbox Pro, I have changed my statusbar icons to ones I like and with Go Launcher Ex to theme it I'm happy. The Photon also is a world phone if that matters. Overall, I'm very satisfied with my Photon and Sprint so far and I'm glad I switched. I just couldn't see paying $120/month for just 4 data plans when on Sprint it's $40 for 4, and they're unlimited.
Hope this helps.

stikss

Reaction score
I left sprint for vzw because of major network problems.... they're going thru some changes or something and it has killed their service.... read their forums. I had Sprint for 10 yrs and never had any issues and all of a sudden it went to crap... had no service, roaming, 2G data speeds, and no explanation for the reduction in service. I truly didn't want a higher monthly service but with my bionic this is the best service I've had in a long time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Versatile1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with Verizon and I'm unlimited everything running my rooted bionic with free wifi tethering. Coverage is great minus 4G in my area but I can wait for that. I did have to add a line but it wasn't a big deal and they didn't try to give me the run around.

jev

Reaction score
I was concerned about the service as well, but I haven't had many signal issues. I think it has a lot to do with the area you're in. I'm in central NC and having no problem.

stikss

Reaction score
I was concerned about the service as well, but I haven't had many signal issues. I think it has a lot to do with the area you're in. I'm in central NC and having no problem.

I'm in central NC as well and i can tell a huge difference from what it use to be. We have EVOs for our work phones and the service on it is the same as my personal so i know it wasn't just my phone.

OP
FernBch

FernBch

Reaction score
My reason for leaving Big Red isn't for signal issues. I have an issue with having to put up with a run around when I needed to change something. Most of those changes resulted in a higher bill without adding anything special because they've made changes on their end.

Into The VorteX

jev

Reaction score
Yeah, I can't justify paying more on Verizon for 3 smartphones and 1 flip phone than I am on sprint with 4 smartphones. I can live with any signal issues that may arise. Can't complain as of now.

Sent from my MoPho using Tapatalk

stikss

Reaction score
Good luck.... i know im not thrilled about having to pay more but like ive heard before.... you get what u pay for

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sorry to hear about your experience. My personal experience with VZW have been easy and what I would consider one of the best CS experiences I've ever had. Guess you've had some bad luck and lack of communication/correct info or the person dealing with you just didn't want to be very helpful. Hope you enjoy whatever carrier you're going to.

googlelover

Reaction score
OP before giving up, I would call in and see if VZW is willing to do anything for you since you are considering switching, like oh I need to change this or this, and if you guys can't do anything I'm going to sprint, they don't like losing customers and usually will help you with anything you need help with, and if they can't just ask to talk to a manager.

OP
FernBch

FernBch

Reaction score
OP before giving up, I would call in and see if VZW is willing to do anything for you since you are considering switching, like oh I need to change this or this, and if you guys can't do anything I'm going to sprint, they don't like losing customers and usually will help you with anything you need help with, and if they can't just ask to talk to a manager.

Thanks, but I tried that already. The conversation quickly went to "You do realize one device is still under contract". I told them to bill me for it and remember I just paid the $200 bill so you can credit it to the early termination fee since I'll be cancelling before the cycle starts.

To bad the device in question is the DX.

Into The VorteX

Last edited:

googlelover

Reaction score
Thanks, but I tried that already. The conversation quickly went to "You do realize one device is still under contract". I told them to bill me for it and remember I just paid the $200 bill so you can credit it to the early termination fee since I'll be cancelling before the cycle starts.

To bad the device in question is the DX.

Into The VorteX
Wow, sounds like your just getting the bad reps, my grandma once had trouble with them on the phone, she was getting mad and said she was considering going to Atnt, and magically the problems went away... Of course now that I handle all calls to Verizon I can't threaten them with that..

OP
FernBch

FernBch

Reaction score
Yeah, but that would be my luck with them. Sprint is lookin real.good right now. I think I want a different phone than what I ordered. I started looking at the Epic 4G Touch and the Moto Photon. After a little research I'm leaning hard to the Photon.

Into The VorteX