Well, I'm happy ... I guess ... kinda

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I found out on Saturday about the June 28 plan changes from Big Red. I called them on Saturday because I'm on a single line plan with unlimited data on my Droid 2. They told me I was eligible for $130.00 off any new 4G smartphone. My buddy has a Razr Maxx, so that was the first thing that came to mind.

The CSR told me I could get a Razr Maxx for $69.99. I questioned him repeatedly about my plan, because I was told by Big Red when I signed on for this plan that as long as I didn't change my plan, the price and the features would remain the same, even if I got a new phone. I interrogated him like I was from Homeland Security. He told me it would be $69.99 for the phone and there were no additional charges, 70 bucks and I would have a Razr Maxx, with 4G speed and would still keep my plan with unlimited data. He told me if I did it on the website, I could get free overnight shipping and have it next day.

So I went on the website, and the website was only showing a $30.00 discount, the Razr Maxx was listed at $169.99. So I called back, and customer service was closed. Ok, no biggie, it was Saturday.

So I called this morning first thing. Got a very nice CSR on the phone, and I explained what happened to her, and what the other CSR had told me on Saturday. I interrogated this new CSR again, because I wanted to make 100% sure I would keep my unlimited data and the price on my current plan. She assured me I would. So I told her that I had gone on the website and it wasn't giving me a full credit, it was only showing me a $30.00 discount. She said she could take care of the order over the phone. Then she proceeded to tell me the Razr Maxx was only on sale for Father's Day, and if I wanted it, it would cost me $169.99 and not $69.99 as the other CSR told me. I was starting to get a little peeved. I told her the CSR told me it was $69.99, and there were no other charges, and he didn't tell me it was only on sale for Father's Day. She put me on hold, and when she came back she said she was going to give me the sale price ... I was quite happy. Then she turned around and told me there was a $30.00 upgrade fee. I told her the other CSR had not told me that either. I also questioned why I was having to pay an upgrade fee when I was essentially being forced to upgrade by June 28th if I wanted to keep my plan. She was very friendly, and apologetic that the other CSR didn't tell me that, but she wouldn't budge from it.

So we're now at $100.00. Still not bad for a $300.00 phone, and she did give me the full discount. But I reminded her over and over again that my main concern was my plan price and unlimited data would not change. She assured me it wouldn't. Then when it came down to the end, I said "will it still be shipped overnight", and she said overnight shipping is $12.99, I told her it said free shipping on the website, and she said that's only if it's ordered online. I told her again the website wasn't offering me the full discount, and she apologized for that too, but again, she wouldn't budge. The CSR was VERY friendly, very helpful, and I told her she had been great.

So what I thought was going to be a $70.00 phone ended up being $120.00, but on one hand, I will have a new Razr Maxx, with unlimited data, at 4G speeds, but I can't help feeling like I got banged for the extra $50.00. It's extortion no matter how you look at it, if I want to keep my plan I HAVE to buy a new phone, and if I wait until after June 28th, I will have to grab my ankles and pay full retail for a new phone if I want to keep my plan. But that's ok, I will smile a little bit when I tether that new Razr Maxx to my laptop. :icon_ devil:

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And after 15 minutes on Craigslist I have a buyer for my Droid 2 for $50.00 ... so my Razr Maxx is only going to cost me $70.00 after all :icon_ banana:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
15 minutes? Well that is a fast turn around lol. Nice one!

TWC42

Reaction score
In 20 months, MattyP, you will be eligible for another upgrade. At that time, you will be forced onto the new plans, or you will have to pay full retail for your next phone, and every phone thereafter. I'd suggest that you keep a log of how much data you actually use every month and see if you really need the unlimited. Keep in mind that the subsidy on a top of the line smartphone is about $450 ($650 - $200). In 20 months, that works out to essentially a $22.50 credit per month that you forfeit in order to keep your unlimited plan. Also, in most states, when you buy the phone at full retail, you pay sales tax on the retail cost, or if you get it subsidized, you only pay tax on the subsidized price (does not apply to CA).
I'm not a fan of the new plans, but I can't see giving up $900 worth of subsidies on our two smartphones in order to hold on to unlimited data that we don't need.

Beka27

Reaction score
The lesson: if you get a great rep who is telling you $70 and no additional charges, order it then and there. That first guy might have waived that charge for you. I don't care a bit about overnight delivery. If I get it in a day or two or three days, I'll still get it.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The lesson: if you get a great rep who is telling you $70 and no additional charges, order it then and there. That first guy might have waived that charge for you. I don't care a bit about overnight delivery. If I get it in a day or two or three days, I'll still get it.

Just like all of the other lessons I have learned in life, I learned this the hard way LOL :biggrin:

Fonzz

Reaction score
In 20 months, MattyP, you will be eligible for another upgrade. At that time, (if you now want ANOTHER NEW 4G Phone) you will be forced onto the new plans, or you will have to pay full retail for your next phone, and every phone thereafter, (or you can just simply keep your unlimited and get a nice barely used phone from someone who's selling one) . I'd suggest that you keep a log of how much data you actually use every month and see if you really need the unlimited. Keep in mind that the subsidy on a top of the line smartphone is about $450 ($650 - $200). In 20 months, that works out to essentially a $22.50 credit per month that you forfeit in order to keep your unlimited plan. Also, in most states, when you buy the phone at full retail, you pay sales tax on the retail cost, or if you get it subsidized, you only pay tax on the subsidized price (does not apply to CA).
I'm not a fan of the new plans, but I can't see giving up $900 worth of subsidies on our two smartphones in order to hold on to unlimited data that we don't need.

I've added some highly relevant information to your post.

There is no excuse for not including it in the first place.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've added some highly relevant information to your post.

There is no excuse for not including it in the first place.

Thanks both of you for the info. 20 months from now things will have probably gone through a dozen more changes, including plans and phones. I plan on keeping this Razr Maxx for a LONG time, I am not going to let Big Red extort me out of my unlimited plan and I will not let them bang me for full retail on any phone. Craigslist is my friend, just like Google. :icon_ devil:

B

bens426O8

Can someone please confirm the details of the fathers day price? I also decided to use my upgrade one final time to stay locked in my unlimited , so I figured I'd just get it sometime this week- but I had no idea there was a fathers day discount or I would've jumpedon it. What exactly were the details? Maybe if the deal was awesome enough I fan still somehow argue enough to make them giveit to me. Ill have my mom do it- she could ***** you into giving me your shoes lol

Beka27

Reaction score
Can someone please confirm the details of the fathers day price? I also decided to use my upgrade one final time to stay locked in my unlimited , so I figured I'd just get it sometime this week- but I had no idea there was a fathers day discount or I would've jumpedon it. What exactly were the details? Maybe if the deal was awesome enough I fan still somehow argue enough to make them giveit to me. Ill have my mom do it- she could ***** you into giving me your shoes lol

The Dads/Grads sale was for $100 off any Motorola 4G phone. Since it's a Dads AND GRADS sale, they should have extended it to all of June...