Well hi...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Gremlin, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Gremlin

Gremlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +102
    I have owned a droid since November.. I am a noob at hacking and I have been reading this site : Root Your Droid and ended up coming here. I also visit androidforums.com as well...

I am slowly deciding to root my phone.. But I have no idea what ROM to use? Do not know what differences there are.. I am not planning to overclock the phone as of yet.. may be later on

I was intending to root my phone for the Buuf Theme but found out it is for the eris..

Is there any links I am missing that shows any differences between the roms? If it is a stupid question I apologise.. Any guidance would be gladly appreciated it...

Thanks

2. rebornlaxer

rebornlaxer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Go to the market and download SholesModUpdater. Find the thread that tells you how to use it. Get Bugless Beast it is by far the best rom. It also comes with a wifi tether that turns your phone into wireless internet modem and the ability to overclock which makes your phone way faster. Just make sure that when or if you overclock that you monitor your droids temperature because you could fry your phone.

3. rebornlaxer

rebornlaxer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The sholesmodupdater app roots and installs roms on your phone. i left that out of the last post on accident. haha

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Welcome!

Like you, I thought I wanted to root but I had no idea which process to follow or which rom to install.

After reading as many threads as my small old mind could handle, I finally decided that I wanted to use a process that provide me with control. therefore, I used the process developed by Matth3W
    (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ng-only-sprecovery-terminal-emulator-zip.html)

I successfully rooted and installed the BB 0.7.5 rom. Then, I installed SetCPU and followed Matt's instructions (located at the bottom of the rooting instructions) plus the developers site (SetCPU)

Hopefully, other members with a lot more experience than me will respond.
    Mike

5. Gremlin

Gremlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Mwhartman: Thanks for the link.. I am going to follow the link to root my phone.. I will wait till Pete gets a version with live wallpapers running..

6. DROIDsys

DROIDsys Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Pete just came out with BB v1.0. It has live wallpapers, but due to major problems that everyone has been having with the 2.1 launcher, he has to use a themed 2.0.1 launcher, which means the live wallpapers will not be interactive. However if you buy and install GDE from the market, it will allow you to interact with the live wallpapers just as you would on an actual 2.1 rom.
    Link: AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast V1.0 (2/20/10)

7. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Live wallpapers are no longer included in BB. He removed because it was causing some people to lose root access. There is a guide on alldroid though that I could link you too that will tell you how to get live wallpapers on a 2.0.1 rom, but live wallpapers are not always so stable.

8. Gremlin

Gremlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +102
    I have already purchased GDE and using it at the moment.. I will hold of until Pete gets it right and make a donation as well when I do root the phone.. hopefully he will have something in the works soon.

9. Senzo

Senzo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Zoom in Browers?

I lost my zoom in my browser after I installed several updates (rooted, bugless beast w/tethering). Is there a way to set the zoom up again? Thankz.