Welcome to the Thunderbolt Tech Support Forum

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the newest section on DroidForums.net dedicated to all HTC Thunderbolt Tech Support. If your having problems, technical issues, then this is the place to post 'em!

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tech support by now we know every nook and cranny and tech detail there is on this phone. 6 months it seems of leaks stories and pictures.. :) Nah really great to see this and things work out for the best look forward to spending some time here to help out.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hopefully this place won't need to be used ;).

j/k

moosez3

Reaction score
Awesome! I am glad the Forums have expanded for this phone as I will hopefully be picking mine up on the 14th.
Supporting member here I come!
Hopefully there will be a huge Thunderbolt Hacks Section also! >:)

keiper303

Reaction score
Battery Life

Just curious on how the battery will hold up, since it's only 1400.
Also, what good apps are avail to extend/prolong battery life.

This will be my first smartphone, so play nice! :)

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just curious on how the battery will hold up, since it's only 1400.
Also, what good apps are avail to extend/prolong battery life.

This will be my first smartphone, so play nice! :)

Hey welcome to the forums.. Glad to see your first post is here with us crazy TB folk.. :icon_ banana:You will find that this and the connected sites are the best around.

Battery.. we don't exactly know. In the past HTC has not been known for having the best battery in town. They do sell extended batteries and most just get a second one. However.. the TB we will see. It is a small battery, BUT it supposed to last longer due to the 2nd gen processor and newer tech in the phone. The real test will be when we can get our hands on it. Me.. I have chargers everywhere I go. I got a D1 right now and with as much as I use it I am lucky to get a day off charger. So no matter how bad it is in the TB I will be fine... but we all hope that HTC might have gotten better..

For battery saving.. I personally root my phone and tweak the speeds using SetCPU and use profiles to try and save more battery. I use the power widgets that come stock to turn off bluetooth, wifi, and things when I am not using them. They also have apps like Juice Defender that others say work real well... but since I have chargers everywhere I really don't think about the battery life.. just remember that android is designed to multi task., Therefore if anyone tells you install a task killer to save battery, please don't. If you do please do your research.. It won't kill your phone or anything but task killers are actually not that great for your phone. Here is a great link for that.. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

All that said. hope you enjoy your stay. got more questions just ask. the mods, admins, and members are great here. Also don't forget to sign up over at HTC Thunderbolt Forum they are associated with this site.

keiper303

Reaction score
Your response was pretty much everything I was looking for.
My only question: Is rooting a Droid the same as Jailbreaking an iPhone?
If I do root my Droid, would that mess me up for firmware upgrades ect... in the future?

And thx again for the info, as I am a Droid nub, at least for the time being! :)

Jasonjohns

Reaction score
The way upgrades are going now,if you want to ever see one while the bolt is still viable,you will have to root.
Oh yeah,I need tech support.....I still don't have the damn phone !!

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your response was pretty much everything I was looking for.
My only question: Is rooting a Droid the same as Jailbreaking an iPhone?
If I do root my Droid, would that mess me up for firmware upgrades ect... in the future?

And thx again for the info, as I am a Droid nub, at least for the time being! :)

Yeah rooting is like jailbreaking. I personally root and suggest rooting to all, but of course that comes with the disclaimer of if you brick your phone sorry.. :) But really with the devs out there and patience you will be fine. Read up on the forums on rooting and what rooting is. Basically it gives you full access to your phone. You don't want a certain app that comes preinstalled.. say idk.. blockbuster app.. it was preinstalled on the DX and a lot of people hated that. Well stock you can't access the system to get rid of this "bloatware". Once you root you can use file managers like root explorer and you can delete that bloatware, or you can customize your phone more. You can install custom ROM's that can change the appearance and performance of the phone. You can overclock and speed up the phone. There is endless things you can do with root.

As far as updates.. well that depends. I have not accepted/received a single update from Verizon on my D1. However I am currently running 2.3 gingerbread on my phone. What I mean is. When I rooted WAY back in the day.. last year.. lol .. i decided to block the updates. A lot of times if you accept them or your phone auto accepts them then you can lose root and have to wait for the new version to get root. This is not an issue though. 10 out of 10 times the devs will have the updates out before the manufacturer will. Heck as I said I am running 2.3. This will never be released for the D1 but because I rooted I get to enjoy it. Well also thanks to the devs that make it possible. Really the final answer on the TB will be found out when we get it in our hands. Right now they have root on the TB on a non production model. Looks good for us, but we will see. Should you worry about not being up to date when you root. Def no. You will always be up to date. You just might have to apply a little differently. When the time comes and we have custom work coming out on the TB then there will be guides and many others like myself that will be glad to help. Worse case you can always un-root and go back to stock as well.

Again glad you are choosing to go with the Android phones. You will love it. Everything you would ever want to do you will have at your fingertips especially if you are coming in with a powerhouse like the TB with 4G combined. It will be incredible.. pardon my TB's little brother reference.. :)