Welcome to the Project Elite GNex section!

Mzamora10

Reaction score
Thanks Jpin really appriciate it................ downloading as im typing this........

HarjoKong

Reaction score
Labs for Browser

The side controls for the broswer are sweet. I don't know if this PE stuf or juss JB, but I'm lovin' it.

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
Gapps are included in the ROM itself. You do not have to find and flash gapps. Let me ask you guys though. Would you rather flash gappd after the ROM or have them built I to the ROM? I know I personally would rather just download and install one thing but I've seen a lot more devas go to the flashing gapps route

Also the browser controls are just jb. I haven't added much except some small speed stuff and some stuff needed to get everything to build to my specifications.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Gapps are included in the ROM itself. You do not have to find and flash gapps. Let me ask you guys though. Would you rather flash gappd after the ROM or have them built I to the ROM? I know I personally would rather just download and install one thing but I've seen a lot more devas go to the flashing gapps route

Also the browser controls are just jb. I haven't added much except some small speed stuff and some stuff needed to get everything to build to my specifications.

Well there are two reasons why some do them separate. First there is the licensing issues, which rather than discussing them myself, I will link to an article about them. Google Apps - RootzWiki

Secondly, it saves you from having to download them everytime the ROM updates. For example, if you were on ICS, the Gapps on Goo-IM, which quite a few ROMs use was last updated 4/29. So no need to download 50+MB of what would be wasted bandwidth every time your ROM updated. Or if you are a crack flasher, you can swap ROMs without having to download Gapps. With capped plans in the future, 50+MB is quite a bit. If a ROM updates quite often, then, that can become a problem. Also, as a ROM dev, this saves you from having to upload as much.

My opinion, I probably would lean toward separate due to the fact that Gapps for some ROMs are 80+MB. When a new ROM release comes out, and their server is getting hit hard, those extra 80MB make the download that much longer.

Glad to see you back developing. I enjoyed your work on the OG Droid and look forward to your GN offerings.

rkpeterson

Reaction score
Personally I'm with you, flash 1 thing; check things out and if need(?) be then flash whatever. Great job Greg.

rkpeterson

Reaction score
Well there are two reasons why some do them separate. First there is the licensing issues, which rather than discussing them myself, I will link to an article about them. Google Apps - RootzWiki

Secondly, it saves you from having to download them everytime the ROM updates. For example, if you were on ICS, the Gapps on Goo-IM, which quite a few ROMs use was last updated 4/29. So no need to download 50+MB of what would be wasted bandwidth every time your ROM updated. Or if you are a crack flasher, you can swap ROMs without having to download Gapps. With capped plans in the future, 50+MB is quite a bit. If a ROM updates quite often, then, that can become a problem. Also, as a ROM dev, this saves you from having to upload as much.

My opinion, I probably would lean toward separate due to the fact that Gapps for some ROMs are 80+MB. When a new ROM release comes out, and their server is getting hit hard, those extra 80MB make the download that much longer.

Glad to see you back developing. I enjoyed your work on the OG Droid and look forward to your GN offerings.

I can definitely see your point, I have a bad habit of forgetting datacaps and bandwidth.

Durandgir

Reaction score
I would keep them included. I prefer having just one thing. Plus when every rom has a tweaked gapp package and I have each of them on my phone it becomes irritating if I don't remember which one I downloaded for which rom. Its also one less thing I need to download.

Durandgir

Reaction score
Going to have to try this! Always ran PE on my OG Droid.
Greg, you should post your work over at RootzWiki also, many of the devs are over there, you'd get a lot of hits from there too.
[VZW] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki

He probably will once he has an official build. He used to have a section over on Rootz for the D1, in fact I think the posts are still there, just no longer in a section.

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
Yes I will post over at Rootz once I get to final phases of the build. For now with these tests builds and what not I just post on twitter and then let people know here sometimes as well since this was my original home. Once the rom is in r.c stage I'll make a thread here and in Rootz.

kjcword

Reaction score
Thanks for the Jb build. Flashing tonight. I always loved PE on my og droid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2