OP
bkdodger

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Well...I did it. I jumped on the Pixel wagon. . I found a deal on a Pixel 4XL for a great price and bought it. I have been contemplating buying a Pixel for a few years. I'm still getting it all setup & updated, but really liking it so far. More to follow later, I'm sure.
c2e41597cf37908578e6898790e33b31.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Congrats my friend...welcome to the Pixel family..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So far....so good. I'm liking the phone and like the "Pixel experience" if that makes sense. I do miss chop for flashlight, but can live without that. So far, my bank is the only app I use a lot that does not support Google's face unlock as a biometric option; but they do support Apple face unlock (go figure). I have already contacted their developer support and asked when they plan on updating their app. Other than that face unlock seems to work very well. All in all it feels like a really nice phone so far, as much as one can determine with the first day of use.

OP
bkdodger

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
So far....so good. I'm liking the phone and like the "Pixel experience" if that makes sense. I do miss chop for flashlight, but can live without that. So far, my bank is the only app I use a lot that does not support Google's face unlock as a biometric option; but they do support Apple face unlock (go figure). I have already contacted their developer support and asked when they plan on updating their app. Other than that face unlock seems to work very well. All in all it feels like a really nice phone so far, as much as one can determine with the first day of use.

That's not too bad just one for Face ID ...use squeeze say turn on flashlight... It's not as fast as chop but will do ...

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
Well, congratulations and welcome to the Pixel 4XL world, Sajo. I'm sure that Moto will miss you, but glad that you are here.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Well, congratulations and welcome to the Pixel 4XL world, Sajo. I'm sure that Moto will miss you, but glad that you are here.

Thank you Sir! I still have my Z4 running on WiFi, and check the Moto forum occasionally. But with their new forum update its really difficult to use right now. They won't miss me too much. .

We don't have enough Pixel 4 discussions around here. I might have to start some new threads.

OP
bkdodger

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Latest update just hit with security patch..you can also turn on face unlock requires eyes open option ..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Latest update just hit with security patch..you can also turn on face unlock requires eyes open option ..
I just downloaded it a little while ago. One of the reasons I switched to a Pixel was the fast updates. That didn't use to be a concern for me for years, but it's something that I am starting to feel is more of an important factor.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The monthly security and bug fix updates are wonderful, and the new Feature drops are great as well. Not sure how often the feature drops will occur, but nice to get regular updates without having to wait for major OS updates.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
What do you guys think about Gesture navigation? Looks like a few of you use it based on screenshots. I tried it on my Z2 and Z4 briefly but switched back to traditional 3 button navigation on both of those. I used 3 button navigation on my Pixel the first 2 days just to get it all setup & running, because I am more used to that method. I switched to gesture navigation yesterday and trying to get used to it. I'm slowly starting to like it.

OP
bkdodger

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I've been using gesture navigation for a long time now...it's the only way I navigate ...I can't remember last time I used the 3 button ...I'm waiting for update on 3rd party launchers on my Note so I can use it same way as Pixel ...I like to keep the screen real estate clean and most possible...I hide the notification area in my home screens with Nova launcher

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm using it also. It will take a little getting used to. You have either option available.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
With the Soli header bezel on the 4 /4XL, I like the extra screen space you get with gesture navigation. Now if I can just get used to the "back" swipe vs archiving a text or dismissing an email.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I found one other app that I use and does not support Google's face unlock; the My Verizon app. The app supports fingerprint login as a biometric option (I used fingerprint login for years with the My Verizon app) and it also supports Apple's Face ID as a biometric login (both of my kids now have an iPhone). Verizon sells the Pixel 4, but doesn't support Google's face unlock? That seems crazy to me.