Welcome to the Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot Forum's

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The Verizon Jetpack Forums are now open! Enjoy everyone!

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Did you say jetpack?

pHhaX.jpg

or is it a different kind? :crazy:

N4UPD

Reaction score
Question, I have an Alltel data card and BSP Unlimited 3g data plan. Verizon has sent our notice that the Alltel network will be shut down and my device may no longer work.Am I going to lose my unlimited data if I change to a Verizon device? If I do nothing then I will have to drop the account I guess. Opinions please.

heathe1

Reaction score
You keep unlimited data!

Question, I have an Alltel data card and BSP Unlimited 3g data plan. Verizon has sent our notice that the Alltel network will be shut down and my device may no longer work.Am I going to lose my unlimited data if I change to a Verizon device? If I do nothing then I will have to drop the account I guess. Opinions please.

You can upgrade and keep unlimited. I upgraded from the Alltel EC168 by Huawei to the USB760, then a little over a year later I upgraded to the Mifi 2200, still have it, although I keep it on an unbilled suspend. They throttle it to **** if I use 9 GB in a month, and it stays throttled for nearly 2 months. No, Verizon's "network optimization" is not "optimization", it's not to be fair to all users. It's to get you to switch to a tiered plan. It's not just throttled when you're on a congested site. I've taken it to places with only deer, trees, and fields (and a Verizon tower), gets full signal, 2 phones that are not "optimized" get over 2 MBPS, while the card jumps past 2, then the throttling kicks it down to under 500kbps. At 3 a.m., still throttled, tried in 3 different counties, none of which have more than 50 thousand people....still throttled. No point in calling Verizon, their solution would be to switch to a ridiculously overpriced tiered data plan. I wish it wasn't a lie. Verizon's throttling is only marginally better than AT&T or T-Mobile. It does allow more throughput, maxing out around 500 kbps(but not sustaining that speed), so not enough to stream video, but enough to still get your music. But it definitely doesn't stop throttling you when the tower isn't loaded, or when you move to an "uncongested" area. It's always fully throttled until the 2 months is up.

Anyway, off that, I understand the need for unlimited, and that there aren't a lot of options out there for some folks. You can possibly upgrade through VZ and keep your plan, if not, you can buy a Mifi 2200 for Verizon on eBay, Amazon, etc. Then go to your online account on MyVerizon, Activate or Switch Device, and punch in the ESN from the Mifi, and you're done. It will give you the option to add text messaging to your plan, just skip through that. You'll still have BSP Unlimited.
Since June 28th, when the new "Ripoff Everybody" (Share everything) plans came out, they may not upgrade you and let you keep the plan, that's when you'd want to buy your own device, as they are allowing you to upgrade at full cost(or bring your own VZ Branded device) and keep your plan.

If anyone on the phone tells you that you can't keep that plan, they are LYING TO YOU. The salespeople in the stores and over the phone all work on commission. They make a bit off of the phone they sell you, and they get an even bigger bonus for switching you to a new plan. That's why they try to push new plans. They did it to me when I called to get a warranty replacement for a phone that wouldn't connect to 3 or 4G, I said, "No thank you, My Alltel plan costs half that and doesn't have limits" Also, if you have an Alltel smartpack, you can get 4G phones. The stores won't do it for you, they want their commission so they just "can't find a way" to do it. I went round and round with the store trying to change my plan. I just said, no thanks, walked out, called 611, ordered the Thunderbolt (over a year ago) and the lady apologized for the sales people, and agreed with me, that they were just wanting commission for a plan change.

They are correct in telling you that you CAN NOT upgrade to a 4G LTE modem and keep unlimited. You must buy a 3G device to keep this BSP Unlimited plan. Only person I've known to get that lucky had a business acct and their business sales rep did it for them. But you won't get that on a consumer acct.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I second this, I'm sure they'll lie to try and get you on Share Everything/Ripoff Everybody, we actually might do it for all lines except mine, I'm the only one that goes over 1GB/month...

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Also just to clarify, you cannot upgrade AT ALL and keep unlimited, 4G or not, you'd have to bring your own device or pay full retail for the phone in store, and even then you cannot go to 4G from 3G or vice-versa and keep unlimited.

Basically you can't do anything at all and keep unlimited.

heathe1

Reaction score
Also just to clarify, you cannot upgrade AT ALL and keep unlimited, 4G or not, you'd have to bring your own device or pay full retail for the phone in store, and even then you cannot go to 4G from 3G or vice-versa and keep unlimited.

Basically you can't do anything at all and keep unlimited.

This is incorrect. I switched from a Rezound, to a Pre Plus, to a SIII over the last few days. Since the 28th.

As long as they aren't subsidizing (2 year agreement) your phone, you can keep your Unlimited Data or Tiered Data plan, without having to select a new Ripoff Everybody plan...only way to lose your plan is to switch to a non-smart phone for over 30 days, or to willingly give it up.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Reallllyyy? Well that's good, I've been feeling WebOS lately and there aren't any 4G Palm phones....Thanks for the correction.

But I just wish they'd let you upgrade, most people who want unlimited don't use more than 2GB 90% of the time, we just hate checking usage all the effing time!

heathe1

Reaction score
You'll just need a new SIM card to reactivate your 4G device. I've never been able to get a previously active card reactivated, either myself, or on the phone with support.

They'll send you one for free if you're like me and live over an hour from a store.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Yeah I went back and forth between a Droid X and Thunderbolt a few times last year, when I could have upgraded again.... It is a real pita, hard to justify given I'd have to get another SIM card.

kaosmsn76

Reaction score
jimmyco2008 said:
Yeah I went back and forth between a Droid X and Thunderbolt a few times last year, when I could have upgraded again.... It is a real pita, hard to justify given I'd have to get another SIM card.

How k

1person

Reaction score
Just to be clear, you could purchase a 4G Jet pack/MBB plus SIM card, and keep unlimited, it doesn't have to be a 3G, 2200 MiFi. You have to buy it out right, or use cutomer provided equipment, and not upgrade. Also, most smartphone users actually use 1/2 a GB a month, not 2. Heavy users are rare, and recommened to use wifi when available. The, "most people use 2GB, or less" thing was a marketing ploy to get ppl used to the idea of switching. Also, share everything is not a rip everbody off plan. Most ppl SAVE money when they switch. I saw a family save $180 a month by switching. If it won't save you money most in store sales associates will tell you NOT to switch. Also, just to be clear VZW sales associates (direct/indirect) do NOT make commission if you switch plans, or buy a device. Commission is ONLY made if you agree to a new 2 year agreement.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
kaosmsn76 said:

Back in the good old days when I had a couple of New SIM cards laying around lol.

Indeed the new plans save people money, well they save *families* money...you must not use your phone for anything "smart" such as apps or GPS navigation if you stay under 2GB/month.

I have a great setup between my thunderbolt and LG USB modem, but if I decide to go full on modem, I'm paying for minutes I can't use.