Welcome to the Droid Turbo Forum!

MarBearCat

Reaction score
Loving the speed. Updated from the droid DNA. No syncing of Facebook contacts on this phone though? And can't use internet while on a call although that should be cleared up with the update to VoLTE.
I don't understand why this is so with an LTE phone. I thought all LTE's phones could do this, on call while on internet? Jeeze I gots a lot to learn!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't understand why this is so with an LTE phone. I thought all LTE's phones could do this, on call while on internet? Jeeze I gots a lot to learn!
From what I understand It's because the phone has only one radio, the 3G/4G LTE radio that's capable of both VoLTE (voice over LTE - the cellular version of Voice over IP used in advanced home and business phone service), and the next generation of 4G that is supposed to be twice as fast as current 4G LTE speeds. Most preceding phones had both the 4G radio and a secondary CDMA/3G radio.

Calls on earlier phones would be handled by the CDMA/3G radio and data was handled over the 4G radio, two separate radios and maintaining separate connections to the 1x SVDO over CDMA and EVDO or LTE networks. With this phone and eventually all future phones the calls will be handled over VOLTE and data will run in tandem with the calls. This will require a software update which is forthcoming, promised by the end of the year.

"It was a Verizon mandate. They don't want new phones with hardware for CDMA simultaneous voice/data competing with their soon to be released LTE simultaneous voice/data which will be much faster and clearer. They estimate VOLTE will roll out for these new phones within 90 days and they are naming it Advanced Calling 1.0."

I'm hearing the Moto X also can't do simultaneous voice/data. I've also seen but can't confirm that the Sony Z3v also can not do Simultaneous Voice+Data.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Oddly.. Why has no one tried to find out? About the x or z3 not doing voice over data I mean...

MarBearCat

Reaction score
From what I understand It's because the phone has only one radio, the 3G/4G LTE radio that's capable of both VoLTE (voice over LTE - the cellular version of Voice over IP used in advanced home and business phone service), and the next generation of 4G that is supposed to be twice as fast as current 4G LTE speeds. Most preceding phones had both the 4G radio and a secondary CDMA/3G radio.

Calls on earlier phones would be handled by the CDMA/3G radio and data was handled over the 4G radio, two separate radios and maintaining separate connections to the 1x SVDO over CDMA and EVDO or LTE networks. With this phone and eventually all future phones the calls will be handled over VOLTE and data will run in tandem with the calls. This will require a software update which is forthcoming, promised by the end of the year.

"It was a Verizon mandate. They don't want new phones with hardware for CDMA simultaneous voice/data competing with their soon to be released LTE simultaneous voice/data which will be much faster and clearer. They estimate VOLTE will roll out for these new phones within 90 days and they are naming it Advanced Calling 1.0."

I'm hearing the Moto X also can't do simultaneous voice/data. I've also seen but can't confirm that the Sony Z3v also can not do Simultaneous Voice+Data.

Good Lord!

tumblr_m23mrdCsYD1qiaueuo1_500_zps9abd7c3f.gif

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Oddly.. Why has no one tried to find out? About the x or z3 not doing voice over data I mean...
Don't know. Let's ask STG.

Doesn't she have the Z3V? Who has the new X?

Edit: Quote from Verizon Sony Xperia Z3v review Android Central

" No, you don't get simultaneous voice and data, at least not without VOLTE. Which the phone doesn't yet have."

And I've confirmed it's also not on the new X. In fact, it's not on any new Verizon branded phone. Only on non-branded phones.

Tweet...

PSA for Xperia Z3v (Verizon) owners: No simultaneous voice and data even on LTE (just like iPhones)ift.tt/1woBhVH #Android via...

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I've honestly never once had the need for using data while on a call. So this is totally a non-issue for me. And I think for the vast majority as well. That's probably why the decision to launch without it.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's worked on all Galaxy S models for years now (including the S5), not quite sure if this is a hardware or software issue.
While I don't use it all that often, (maybe once every couple weeks or so) it DOES come in handy and I love the option. Most of my phone calls are done via Bluetooth, (I really don't like holding the phone up to my ear for extended periods), as BT is much more comfortable. This also makes it much easier to take a photo, reply to a text and look something up online all while on a phone call. They say you don't really miss something you've never had, but once you do have the ability, you'll find yourself using it much more often.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It's worked on all Galaxy S models for years now (including the S5), not quite sure if this is a hardware or software issue.
While I don't use it all that often, (maybe once every couple weeks or so) it DOES come in handy and I love the option. Most of my phone calls are done via Bluetooth, (I really don't like holding the phone up to my ear for extended periods), as BT is much more comfortable. This also makes it much easier to take a photo, reply to a text and look something up online all while on a phone call. They say you don't really miss something you've never had, but once you do have the ability, you'll find yourself using it much more often.

S5 tap'n
It is a hardware issue as new phones are being manufactured without the second radio necessary in order to communicate on the lower level 1X / EDVO network. Apparently when making calls on the older phones, the moment you attempt to use data communication the phone call drops from the 4G or 3G networks down into the one x / DVD Video Network, freeing up the 3G/4G radio to do data communications. This is also why you can make phone calls with these phones even without any signal level bars appearing on the top of the screen at times.

This change or limitation with three newest flagship phones was apparently mandated by verizon because they are going to be rolling out the Advanced Calling 1.0 which is the VoLTE network. Apparently it is only a problem on verizon branded phones, such as the Moto X and the Droid turbo, and also quite possibly the Nexus 6. I haven't confirmed whether the Nexus 6 support simultaneous voice and data transmission. My suspicion is that it doesn't because it's also the exact same architecture as Droid Turbo, although it does roll out of the gate with Android 5.0, so it may in fact be VoLTE ready

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I believe I read somewhere, that this was an evolutionary step in the eventual 4g only phones.. Not sure..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I believe I read somewhere, that this was an evolutionary step in the eventual 4g only phones.. Not sure..

This is true. They will eventually be shutting down the CDMA network at some point, however it will likely be years out. In the meantime they're trying to get communications off of that network as the system is becoming overloaded and the equipment to run it is inherently more expensive as they are finding less and less manufacturing for the components. Since they can't use "used" equipment in the network for concerns of reliability it means greater cost to maintain and to increase capacity.

Also, I understand that 4G and 4G VoLTE is actually less expensive to run from an RF power perspective than 1X, 2G, 3G EDVO CDMA and so again it means less expense long-term to Verizon. It's less expensive to increase capacity on the 4G LTE network as well, so as we get more and more devices connected (wearable, cars with built-in WIFI, computers, TVs, refrigerators, you name it...there will be less expense for Verizon to add those massively large quantity of connected devices.

I imagine that this transition may be ramped up in perhaps 2 or 3 years, but our generation of new flagship phones is the first step in that transition.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
So I'm not sure how to get this exact thread in taptalk
In tapatalk hit the @ icon at the top and it will take you to all threads you've participated in. Easiest way I've found to get back to the threads I want to keep track of. Or you can favorite the thread with the star icon, and then just go thru those.

ferret57

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
Twitter
ferretfuzzies
I actually took notice to the old design of the Turbo. Seems it had plastic volume and on/off buttons. My build was Feb. 6 and all buttons are chrome. Blue chrome around camera and the word Droid in light blue. I did get the ballistic nylon sapphire blue.