Welcome to the Casio G'zOne Commando Forum

Discussion in 'Casio G'zOne Commando' started by danDroid, Apr 26, 2011.

1. danDroid

danDroid DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +151
    Welcome to the newest area on DroidForums.net dedicated to the all new Casio G'zOne Commando!

Anyone interested in this rugged Android army style phone?

2. crabbybahstid

crabbybahstid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely!!!

I'm hoping it's available in VZW stores so I don't have to buy it online sight unseen. The initial downside that I see is that the screen looks to be iPhone4 sized; well under the Thunderbolt or DX I'm also considering. But, I had a G'Zone Type-V that was bomb proof.

3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Dan,

Thank you sir, for opening a subforum here. I am very much interested in this phone, and will be trying to learn as much about it as I can in the upcoming days/weeks/months.

Craig

4. crabbybahstid

crabbybahstid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So close!

I thought I was going to be one of the very early adopters on this device, and I probably still will be, but...

Rather than being at the VZW store at the crack of dawn, I spent the day doing an update on my laptop to be ready to sync. I'd been in Wednesday night, and was told that they were on hand, but no I couldn't have a peek. :) So, I headed over mid-afternoon, and did my uneducated looking.

It's surprisingly light. Overall size is slightly smaller than a Droid X. Slightly thinner than a Thunderbolt, but with more squared edges. The edges are covered with a firm rubber-ish material which probably provides some of the impact resistance. That, along with some bright trim and red accents makes the phone very stylish. The glass area is pretty large. Smaller than the X of course, but visually it looks pretty large. The screen itself is incrementally larger than an iP4, so a fair increment smaller than the X, Fascinate, TB, etc. But it doesn't look as small as the iP4. Apple's "retina" display aside, this looks pretty sharp.

There's a fair amount of bloatware, which is expected. I'm not experienced enough with the Droid apps to know what are Casio or Verizon additions or what you can dump. Maybe it was because the phone was so new, and things weren't muddied up, but it was faster to load the browser than the salesman's X. It also seemed as fast as the TB in our 3G area.

So, I was convinced enough by the way it worked to accept the price hit of buying early, and told the salesman to hook me up. He went back to get it...was gone a long time...and came back without one. Seems they only got three, and they didn't know when they could get another. :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil: I was an unhappy camper. I went to the car and called the VZW store in the next town, and was told they didn't have one at all, but there were a LOT in the warehouse. The very nice gal there offered to overnight one for me. i went back inside, and they agreed to do the same. :icon_ banana: So, I've got my mil-spec mobile device on the way.

News, mebbe images, and my 1 cent impressions tomorrow hopefully.

5. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Crab,

I look forward to your reviews. I posted some questions in another thread here, but the OP has yet to respond. I checked 3 VZW stores in the nearest "big" town. None had any on hand, and one store said they would never get them in, mail order only. The other 2 two said a week to 10 days, maybe. I do know that I want to handle one before spending 450 bucks.

Craig

6. emscapt47

emscapt47 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So wheres the reviews?

7. zer0space1

zer0space1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is on it's way to me in the Mail!
    I wore the paint off my Droid 1 in hold out for a Rugged android phone.
    first thing I will probably do is De-Bing it though:)

8. crabbybahstid

crabbybahstid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations, and welcome to the Unit (Battalion?)

9. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Zero,

I hope this means you are gonna try the root method that has been reported to work. I can live without custom roms I think, but right now I am not sure I can live without at least root on a new phone.

Craig

10. kjcsjc

kjcsjc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Commando for about 36 hours so far (and am on my fourth battery charge). Will definitely need another battery or an extended battery once one is available. This is my first Android phone, so I'm still trying to adjust to that after years of the BlackBerry OS. There seems to be an aweful lot of preinstalled crap that can't be deleted (yet). My wife got the Incredible 2 at the same time, and the Commando is noticeably sturdier. I had the 2nd generation G'zOne a few years back, and it got run over by a HMMWV at drill with no noticeable damage. While the Commando's screen seems more rugged than other touchscreens, I don't think it would survive that same thrashing.

Highlights: Android Market (after years with a BlackBerry, I'm amazed at all the apps), sturdy build, G'zGear software (much of it is useless, but it's fun), call quality, intuitive snapout menu.

Lows: Too much undeletable preinstalled crap, calendar and email functions not nearly as well done as on the BB, battery life.

Overall: not the best smartphone on the market... until you run it over with your car!

11. truckrod

truckrod Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This 1 I have for work it should be in the mail monday. First thing root it n de bing it for sure. ADB the verizon banner. Yeah

12. crabbybahstid

crabbybahstid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bing?

So, fill me in. I gather from the rest of the forum that the Bing app (apps?) are not a favorite, but why is that? I haven't used it much. Just opened the maps the first time today.

And, how do you "de-Bing?"

As to battery life, I'm getting about a day and a half. Practically speaking, that's no better than a day, since I have to charge it to finish the off day. I'm a light user, and have the BT and WiFi off most of the time. I'll also go in (when I remember) and turn off the desk cradle, Skype, and a couple other things.

13. truckrod

truckrod Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bing Tracks your movement no matter where you go. 1 reason your battery life is going down. And as for me being a work phone I don't want them to know where I am all the time

14. The 13th Doctor

The 13th Doctor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oddly, Ive been on these forums for a while before recently joining,... and Ive never once heard of bing. Lots of stuff about root, rom, sbf and so on. wonder how I couldve missed it.

15. 1linuxfreak

1linuxfreak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was until I got to play with one for a while , then I lost all interest , my opinion and please do not take it wrong . The Casio was slow , unresponsive , apps launched when not touched , the UI was clunky , saw nothing worth cheering about , except it did appear rugged , if the UI is fixed and speed/lag improved I might get one , but after first test drive I will take a lot to get me interested again .

Search tags for this page
casio commando battery
casio commando battery life
casio commando charging dock

casio commando cradle

casio commando cradle charger
casio commando dock
casio commando docking station

casio commando extended battery

casio commando forum

commando docking station